Remember when Lasky took Del Rio's job?

#31Mr_arizonaPosted 2/18/2013 10:18:00 AM
SterlingFox posted...
zen_misery posted...
Mr_arizona posted...
Still don't know why he lost his job considering Chief abandoned ship as it was leaving. Would've made more sense after New Phoenix but he was already fired before that.
Not my fault Chief didn't want to come along.

It was more the fact that Del Rio completely ignored the threat level that John presented to him; wrote John off as a crazy and went on with business as usual. Even though at that point in time the Didact had already attacked the ship and showed a great deal of his ability.

Then the base was attacked and Earth put in danger. UNSC does have a near instantaneous comms network. So everything John warned about came true and the UNSC most advanced ship and best poised to tackle a Forerunner threat had done nothing to prevent this.

Also, as noted in the the Thursday War, Admiral Parangosky had it in for Del Rio as Lasky was her choice for Captain. With Osman being her chosen successor it would be natural that she still had Parangosky's interest in mind.

Del Rio's choices were what the UNSC WANTS their captains to make. Master Chief is a lower rank, and Captain Del Rio neither has to take orders from him nor does he need to heed his advice. He's a higher rank, and its his job to make the decisions he made.

Like he said and explained to Chief, it was a First-Contact scenario. Protocol dictates that the primary objective is to NOT engage with them unless necessary, and to regroup with HQ and inform them of the potential threat.
Its set up that way to avoid people going rogue, starting unnecessary wars, and so that humanity actually gets the information. If their ships just engage threats, its very possible that they could be wiped out and be unable to inform anybody of the threat. Meaning humanity would be caught with their pants down in the case of a real threat appearing.

The reality is that there is no good reason for what happened. They fired him because of bad writing and story telling.

1 thing that could be used against Del Rio is getting sucked in the gravity well in the first place. He just decided taking the largest ship humanity has and just threw it into the planets atmosphere with out sending in Recon Pelicans or some way to make sure this BIG METALLIC PLANET wasn't dangerous.
---
http://i.imgur.com/HLzCM.gif
#32SpiduxxudipSPosted 2/18/2013 12:00:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f38Y0i0-mHA
---
What do I look like, Mr Frank-****-For-Free? No Doe, Hoe? You can't **** with me
Thizz iz what it iz --GT-Spidux
#33TheApd_ReturnsPosted 2/18/2013 12:12:21 PM
Del Rio didnt deserve to lose his job. Master Chief almost caused humanity's extinction twice... first on Halo, now with unleashing the Composer. MC should be tried and hanged.
#34H3YGUYS34Posted 2/18/2013 12:17:01 PM
Oh no you didnt.
---
If tomorrow is yesterday and today is tomorrow then tomorrow is today. Gt: G4MECRUSHER101(all caps).
#35SterlingFoxPosted 2/18/2013 12:34:43 PM
KageNoSenshi posted...
#25 SterlingFox Posted
[stuff]

I really hope you don't currently hold a position of authority if that's your idea of good leadership.

He did what the UNSC believes to be a good idea of leadership. And you have no argument otherwise apparently, because what your post amounts to is "Er... uh... I, um... SHUT UP! NO!"

Either you don't have a real argument for why Del Rio should have been fired, or you're doing that stupid dramatic gamefaqs bull**** where you make some stupid one-liner trying to be like "OH BURN" because you feel you have to wait for someone to pay attention to you before making up an argument.
If its the latter, then here's your chance. I'm paying attention and responding to you. You're getting "permission" to respond with a real argument.
---
Underwater Spartans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djp5dtz02eQ&feature=plcp
#36KageNoSenshiPosted 2/22/2013 11:54:02 AM
LOL wow. Don't post for a few days and almost miss the good stuff.

John is the highest ranking enlisted member of the UNSC navy. He's got ~40 yrs combat experience. He's dealt w/ countless Covies and he personally engaged the Didact. I think his assessment of the gravity of a situation holds plenty of merit.

Being at the strategic level of command, it doesn't make sense to make decisions that completely disregard the current tactical environment. You don't just discount the knowledge and experience of others, especially senior advisors, because "i outrank you". It's also not a good display of leadership to throw temper tantrums the way he did all the time.

He clearly showed he was unfit to lead. That's why he was removed from his position.
---
MvC3 Mains - Spidey(Y)/Deadpool(B)/Doom(B) | Experimenting: Phoenix(A)/Dante/(Y)/Doom(B)
XBL GT: KageSenshi ------ Chikara - Chie - Yuuki
#37Spidux_Is_GodPosted 2/22/2013 11:55:55 AM
User Name Lord_Spidux
User ID 6588194
Board User Level -1: Suspended
User's posting privileges have been suspended for one or more Terms of Service violations, pending review by an Administrator.

*sigh*

218 and counting.
---
What do I look like, Mr-Frank-****-For-Free? No doe, Hoe? You can't **** with me
THIZZ IZ WHAT IT IZ -- GT: Spidux
#38SterlingFoxPosted 2/22/2013 1:59:16 PM
KageNoSenshi posted...

John is the highest ranking enlisted member of the UNSC navy. He's got ~40 yrs combat experience. He's dealt w/ countless Covies and he personally engaged the Didact. I think his assessment of the gravity of a situation holds plenty of merit.

Being at the strategic level of command, it doesn't make sense to make decisions that completely disregard the current tactical environment. You don't just discount the knowledge and experience of others, especially senior advisors, because "i outrank you". It's also not a good display of leadership to throw temper tantrums the way he did all the time.

He clearly showed he was unfit to lead. That's why he was removed from his position.

Experience doesn't matter, Captain is a higher rank than Master Chief Petty Officer. Therefore its not punishable, or indeed unwanted by the UNSC, for CAPTAIN Del Rio to ignore MASTER CHIEF PETTY OFFICER's advice.

Del Rio is an old man, and possible has as much, more, or less experience in the military as Chief. You don't know Del Rio's experience, so calling Chief a "Senior Advisor" is based on nothing at all. That said, yes. You absolutely can ignore the knowledge and experience of others, even senior advisors, beacuse "i outrank you". That's part of why rank exists. People don't get promoted based off of time served like you seem to think for some reason. Sergeants in the military who've served for 15 years still take orders from Lieutenants fresh out of training. They have been trained in different ways, so regardless of the Sergeant's experience it doesn't mean that he's fit to be an officer and make higher orders.

Del Rio is a captain, and has obviously displayed attributes warranting his promotion to the rank. He wasn't assigned to command the greatest ship in the UNSC for no reason. And as Captain, he had a better understanding of the tactical situation onboard the Infinity than Chief, the ground soldier, did.

He didn't "throw a tantrum". He gave a lower ranking soldier a command and he disobeyed orders out of personal feelings, which is something Chief is not allowed to do. According to the UNSC protocol, Del Rio was entirely in the right for decommissioning Cortana, not engaging the Didact, not taking orders from Chief, and returning to Command for further instructions. He did everything right. He got demoted because the writer liked Lasky more, and because they wanted the player to dislike Del Rio. I.E. He got demoted because of bad writing.
---
Underwater Spartans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djp5dtz02eQ&feature=plcp
#39Mr_arizonaPosted 2/22/2013 2:23:28 PM
SterlingFox posted...
KageNoSenshi posted...

Experience doesn't matter, Captain is a higher rank than Master Chief Petty Officer. Therefore its not punishable, or indeed unwanted by the UNSC, for CAPTAIN Del Rio to ignore MASTER CHIEF PETTY OFFICER's advice.

Del Rio is an old man, and possible has as much, more, or less experience in the military as Chief. You don't know Del Rio's experience, so calling Chief a "Senior Advisor" is based on nothing at all. That said, yes. You absolutely can ignore the knowledge and experience of others, even senior advisors, beacuse "i outrank you". That's part of why rank exists. People don't get promoted based off of time served like you seem to think for some reason. Sergeants in the military who've served for 15 years still take orders from Lieutenants fresh out of training. They have been trained in different ways, so regardless of the Sergeant's experience it doesn't mean that he's fit to be an officer and make higher orders.

Del Rio is a captain, and has obviously displayed attributes warranting his promotion to the rank. He wasn't assigned to command the greatest ship in the UNSC for no reason. And as Captain, he had a better understanding of the tactical situation onboard the Infinity than Chief, the ground soldier, did.

He didn't "throw a tantrum". He gave a lower ranking soldier a command and he disobeyed orders out of personal feelings, which is something Chief is not allowed to do. According to the UNSC protocol, Del Rio was entirely in the right for decommissioning Cortana, not engaging the Didact, not taking orders from Chief, and returning to Command for further instructions. He did everything right. He got demoted because the writer liked Lasky more, and because they wanted the player to dislike Del Rio. I.E. He got demoted because of bad writing.

This is why I say Lasky getting promoted and Del Rio being relieved of duty should've been after the last mission. Chief said a bad man is coming and will target Earth. Del Rio just says oh well and leaves anyways. That act would be bigger after the fact New Phoenix got destroyed cause Del Rio let the Didact recover.
---
http://i.imgur.com/HLzCM.gif
#40KageNoSenshiPosted 2/22/2013 3:34:05 PM(edited)
And this is why i initially didn't bother going into detail on why you have no idea how leadership and command works.

Lieutenants fresh out of training make decisions based on reports they get from those sergeants who've been in for a while and have way more experience than they do. They get their direction based on input and guidance they receive from the tactical level of command. I guarantee you that if a lieutenant disregarded the advice from his NCOs and decided on courses of action that blatantly ignored the current situation and level of intel, he would be fired from his position.

Del Rio did not have a better tactical awareness of the situation on REQUIEM than John. That doesn't even make sense. So when he ignored his assessment of the situation on the planet, he failed in his duty to lead.
---
MvC3 Mains - Spidey(Y)/Deadpool(B)/Doom(B) | Experimenting: Phoenix(A)/Dante/(Y)/Doom(B)
XBL GT: KageSenshi ------ Chikara - Chie - Yuuki