How good a villain do you think "The Didact" `is?

#1HerrxPosted 2/15/2013 4:32:53 PM
I love good villains in games?
---
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine - Humphrey Bogart - Casablanca
#2magablaster17Posted 2/15/2013 4:34:08 PM
4/10, and thats being very nice
#3SociopathixPosted 2/15/2013 4:37:22 PM
Well, if you know the whole story behind the didact then he's a great character, you can sympathize with him to a point while still hating him, which IMO makes him a good villain.
---
Yeah well, I'm gonna go make my own forum, and it'll have black jack and hookers, in fact, forget the forum!
GT: Sociopathix
#4LoneWolf4545Posted 2/15/2013 4:53:48 PM
Never read the books so purely from the game itself he is an extremely forgettable one. 2/10
---
GT: swkids
#5SummonEdgePosted 2/15/2013 4:54:06 PM
In my opinion, he is like Grigori from Dragons Dogma. Not really present, but a driving force behind the characters actions.
---
It's a Legit Strategy.
#6Cereal4youPosted 2/15/2013 4:59:13 PM
SummonEdge posted...
In my opinion, he is like Grigori from Dragons Dogma. Not really present, but a driving force behind the characters actions.

Wow great reference.
#7morpheus1138Posted 2/15/2013 5:03:28 PM
Spoilers

The mission where you encounter him is VERY cool. There's an aura of mystique surrounding the whole situation, particularly when the didact is released. At that moment there's a sense that this is an all-powerful enemy and a very real threat. Sadly his story is never really elaborated on and the narrative makes little sense, particularly the backstory about the forerunners and the ancient humans (I thought it was heavily implied that the forerunners were humans in the previous games?). I spent two hours reading the alleged details of the mythology which apparently are outlined in supplemental sources such as novels and in game text only to discover that a retcon had essentially been executed and that the story is not really worth examining too closely because it is inherently disjointed to a degree somewhere between the Star Wars expanded universe and the Legend of Zelda, the latter representing the epitome of an arbitrary and disjointed storyline
---
--------------------------------------------------------------------
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good - need we anyone to tell us these things?
#8EDarienPosted 2/15/2013 6:12:09 PM
Game alone. 2/10, and that's generous.

Wiki backstory helping to know who he is ... 4/10. The whole cloned, so one is the real other the clone. Destroy everyone! no wait, I know the truth. End the war. bah. He's pretty forgettable and, as lackluster as he was, at least Tartarus was an actual bossfight. Even the Prophet that you punched to death was better.
---
Lali-ho!
#9SterlingFoxPosted 2/15/2013 6:23:10 PM
Presuming he's alive, he may become a good villain. Being ancient, he could become the type of antagonist who understands the full situation and the universe more than the protagonist and the audience, but doesn't understand the changes that have happened since being locked away. So what appears to be pointless evil ends up making sense in the end-game, but is also basically an extreme act out of ignorance.

Like if it turned out he was using the composer on humanity as an act to save them or prepare them against a greater evil, not knowing it had already been defeated or that it could be defeated through different means.

But for this game alone, he was a poor antagonist. He motivation seemed to be like "Let's kill people because I'm bitter".
---
Underwater Spartans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djp5dtz02eQ&feature=plcp
#10metroidman92Posted 2/15/2013 8:06:32 PM
EDarien posted...
Game alone. 2/10, and that's generous.

Wiki backstory helping to know who he is ... 4/10. The whole cloned, so one is the real other the clone. Destroy everyone! no wait, I know the truth. End the war. bah. He's pretty forgettable and, as lackluster as he was, at least Tartarus was an actual bossfight. Even the Prophet that you punched to death was better.

Not really a clone. Bornstellar was implanted with his memories, and the Didact's personality emerged shortly after. Since Ur-Didact never died in the books, we now have 2 (potentially). Bornstellar may very well be alive, if he managed to find a Cryptum.
---
Carry we who die in battle over land and sea
across the rainbow bridge, to Valhalla! Odin's waiting for me!