How good a villain do you think "The Didact" `is?

#21MF_BupPosted 2/16/2013 5:22:37 AM
Pretty bad, they don't reveal anything about him or his motives throughout the game, he's just some guy. Sure he is a bit better of a villain after watching the terminals but those videos aren't even in Halo 4 you have to play through the game, find each one, exit the game and then go to Halo waypoint just to see them.
---
F....K...In the coffee
#22EDarienPosted 2/16/2013 5:52:43 AM
metroidman92 posted...

The big orange ball the Didact stepped out of was his Cryptum. It's essentially an extremely long-term cryo tube, that can apparently also serve as a cockpit for full Forerunner ships.

As for the 2 Didacts, they supposedly end up meeting in Silentium, the 3rd book. Ur-Didact (the original, and the guy we fight in Halo 4) and Bornstellar-Didact (the forerunner we see talking to Librarian in the Halo 3 terminals. Yes, 3. Not 4.) As far as I know, they won't "merge" together if/when they meet. Forerunners undergo many "mutations" in their lifespan. Bornstellar underwent his 1st when he absorbed the Ur-Didact's essence. They are both Didact, just that Ur-Didact ends up wanting to punish humanity. Bornstellar has a much cooler head, from what I've gathered.

It is a bit confusing for those who haven't read either Forerunner book. Hell, i haven't finished Primordium, and I'm still fuzzy on a couple things. I'd recommend at least reading Cryptum, and getting the summary of Primordium. (It's 3/4 of nothing but walking across a Halo, and 1/4 of useful exposition)

Here's hoping Silentium is better than the last one.

Good to know. Seemed like he couldn't get out on his own, so I was thinking prison. But to think on it, MC can't get out of cryo-sleep without help either, right? So that makes sense. It could be used as a prison, or other purposes. Though, as you pointed out, it being used as a cockpit for a ship is a little ... odd.

I didn't think they'd merge, though funny idea. I just picture two forerunners being sucked together against their wills to merge. *shudder* I more meant psychologically. The meeting of two people who "are the same person" meeting. I think it'd be interesting to watch that interaction is all I meant. Especially after so much time has passed and if they are the last "two" Forerunners left but they're the same personality simply one overlaid on an original personality which, as you said you think is true, might even him out a little more and be less militant.

I did check the wiki for various things. Humans evolving twice, various, yet limited, abilities of the Forerunner armor, their very self-righteous society ... Interesting stuff. I might look into the Halo books, but we'll see. I don't really connect w/ a lot of writers, but after seeing some samples, who knows. Thanks for the suggestions, though. It helps when choosing what to look at.
---
Lali-ho!
#23JaidabeccaPosted 2/16/2013 9:23:28 AM
Incredibly stupid & forgettable, imo. I would say he needs to be more like Wesker in the badass department but I don't want to bring Wesker down by trying to compare them. Best Wesker is Richard Waugh in terms of coolness.
---
RE4, REmake, HALO 1 & 3, & other videos here v
http://www.youtube.com/user/Jaidabecca
#24SpiduxxudipSPosted 2/16/2013 9:30:07 AM
Didact is like a less polite version of Adolf Hitler. With half the morals.
---
What do I look like, Mr Frank-****-For-Free? No Doe, Hoe? You can't **** with me
Thizz iz what it iz -- GT - Spidux
#25metroidman92Posted 2/16/2013 2:22:01 PM
SpiduxxudipS posted...
Didact is like a less polite version of Adolf Hitler. With half the morals.

Did you watch the terminals?
---
If you even think about coming after your brother, this bullet will be waiting for you!
#26MVNeoPosted 2/17/2013 1:16:14 AM
morpheus1138 posted...
Spoilers

The mission where you encounter him is VERY cool. There's an aura of mystique surrounding the whole situation, particularly when the didact is released. At that moment there's a sense that this is an all-powerful enemy and a very real threat. Sadly his story is never really elaborated on and the narrative makes little sense, particularly the backstory about the forerunners and the ancient humans (I thought it was heavily implied that the forerunners were humans in the previous games?). I spent two hours reading the alleged details of the mythology which apparently are outlined in supplemental sources such as novels and in game text only to discover that a retcon had essentially been executed and that the story is not really worth examining too closely because it is inherently disjointed to a degree somewhere between the Star Wars expanded universe and the Legend of Zelda, the latter representing the epitome of an arbitrary and disjointed storyline

There is no retcon whatsoever. What in the world are you talking about?

Also, where was it EVER implied that Forerunners were ancient humans?

Don't play the story for your lack of knowledge.
---
http://raptr.com/UNSCleric
https://app.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Halo4/UNSCleric/home/
#27JaidabeccaPosted 2/17/2013 6:10:27 AM
MVNeo posted...

I believe he's referring to when it's mentioned that the Prometheans are ancient human souls or something to that effect. Although I can't remember who said it nor where it was said but I distinctly remember hearing something like that when I played through the campaign
---
RE4, REmake, HALO 1 & 3, & other videos here v
http://www.youtube.com/user/Jaidabecca
#28ZERO2936Posted 2/17/2013 6:36:00 AM
More memorable than other Halo villains.
#29yomamma297Posted 2/17/2013 6:54:42 AM
Prophet of Truth was a better villain. I honestly can't even really remember much of the Didact's dialogue in the game. After the cutscene where he was introduced I had to look the scene up on youtube and rewatch because I had absolutely no idea what was going on.
---
Go Dolphins, Heat and Marlins!
GT: shock297
#30EDarienPosted 2/17/2013 6:58:21 AM
Jaidabecca posted...
MVNeo posted...

I believe he's referring to when it's mentioned that the Prometheans are ancient human souls or something to that effect. Although I can't remember who said it nor where it was said but I distinctly remember hearing something like that when I played through the campaign

While the game does say that Prometheans are humans turned digital servant, I don't think that's what he's talking about. Especially since he says in previous games and not from this game specifically.

That said, I think the poster is likely referring to the "Reclaimer" aspect of humanity. The games imply that humans are the intended inheritors of Forerunner tech and purpose. While still not saying that Forerunners were humans, I can see how someone might think that we're at least more closely related somehow since they chose us to carry on The Mantle opposed to the other races in the galaxy.
---
Lali-ho!