Why does the game stop when someone quits?

#1Young_HerculesPosted 2/15/2013 10:37:16 PM
Why is it that the game is constantly stalled when someone quits? Didn't they fix this in Reach. I remember being annoyed by it in Halo 3 but I'm pretty sure it wasn't an issue in Reach.
#2mrzuzzlespleenPosted 2/15/2013 10:42:37 PM
Not "someone", the host of the game.
#3jakethenoobPosted 2/15/2013 10:49:57 PM
Because Microsoft's most expensive game ever cannot afford dedicated servers.
---
Game collection: http://postimage.org/gallery/1tqkmeku/
#4SterlingFoxPosted 2/15/2013 11:15:45 PM
It was still an issue in Reach.

When the host quits, the screen goes to black and selects a new host.
And for some reason in Halo 4, it usually ****s everything else up too (loadouts resetting, armor abilities disappearing, sprinting becoming unavailable, vehicles blowing up, etc.) and the rest of the match becomes laggy and glitchy.
---
Underwater Spartans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djp5dtz02eQ&feature=plcp
#5DvoloS88Posted 2/16/2013 7:27:17 AM
I get this guys point, theres time where the first guy who leaves ofcourse would be host BUT then after a new host is selected game starts another dbag leaves of course its the host again. This will happen 4 5 times in a match... Theres no f****** way out of sixteen players the 4 guys who wanna leave after every host selection ARE THE HOST. One time in flood out of ten it happened five times back to back.
#6MephystoPosted 2/16/2013 7:43:44 AM
jakethenoob posted...
Because Microsoft's most expensive game ever cannot afford dedicated servers.

^^^^ This.

Of all the directions games have headed over the years, i miss dedicated servers the most. Developers haven't gotten this part of console online gaming right since SW Battlefront II... man, i miss that game....
#7SpiduxxudipSPosted 2/16/2013 8:35:28 AM
With all of the games that are played online it would break Micro's bank to have dedicated servers. In just under two years (November '04-June '06) there were over 500 million games of Halo 2 played online, over the course of 710 million hours.

That would be a **** ton of dedicated servers. Also consider Halo 3 is still running as well as Reach.

Microsoft would go broke. Hence why we have the host-system system. As lame as it may be, it does make it so we can continue playing these games.
---
What do I look like, Mr Frank-****-For-Free? No Doe, Hoe? You can't **** with me
Thizz iz what it iz -- GT - Spidux
#8Groudon_UzamakiPosted 2/16/2013 8:58:22 AM
Microsoft would go broke.

wat. Do you even know how money they have?
---
Remember kids, cancer doesn't kill people, people with cancer kills people.
#9SpiduxxudipSPosted 2/16/2013 9:02:18 AM
A lot.

And dedicated servers of that magnitude cost a lot too. Maybe they wouldn't go broke, but they would be hemorrhaging money out, that's for sure.
---
What do I look like, Mr Frank-****-For-Free? No Doe, Hoe? You can't **** with me
Thizz iz what it iz -- GT - Spidux
#10Groudon_UzamakiPosted 2/16/2013 10:16:29 AM
SpiduxxudipS posted...
A lot.

And dedicated servers of that magnitude cost a lot too. Maybe they wouldn't go broke, but they would be hemorrhaging money out, that's for sure.

It would probably also raise the player count.

Now enough to compensate for the sunk cost, I am not sure.
---
Remember kids, cancer doesn't kill people, people with cancer kills people.