Why all the hate for the story?

#11Lawfish66Posted 2/19/2013 2:40:35 PM
Theres an encyclopedia bigger than the bible for this series. Anyones arguement is invalid
---
"Oh of course, forward it to the top-secret stealth ship. Everyone knows about the top-secret stealth ship."~ shootsmack
#12LoneWolf4545Posted 2/19/2013 2:47:58 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
Actually, lonewolf, it does. If you read the terminals and whatnot, Halo has a very deep story.

Except the story that you are presented with and shown through cutscenes and gameplay isn't deep at all. I don't doubt that there is a bunch of back story for all of the characters and their notices and such. It doesn't change the fact that the actual story and how it's told is pretty bland.
---
GT: swkids
#13Paper_Mario_4Posted 2/19/2013 5:01:58 PM
It's simple, I don't like listening to useless corny drama scenes. Honestly, Cortana was on her period the entire game. That was the story. They should have just dubbed the title "Cortana's Period" I'm not kidding it's more fitting than Halo 4.

Have a great day.
#14tristin809Posted 2/19/2013 10:55:40 PM
Paper_Mario_4 posted...
It's simple, I don't like listening to useless corny drama scenes. Honestly, Cortana was on her period the entire game. That was the story. They should have just dubbed the title "Cortana's Period" I'm not kidding it's more fitting than Halo 4.

Have a great day.

She was kind of having her mind ripped apart.
---
"Shop smart, shop s-mart." -Ash, Army of Darkness
UMVC3 Main Team: Wesker(b), Sentinel(a), Strider(y)
#15RockeignPosted 2/19/2013 11:04:16 PM
There was barely any characters that stood out besides Chief, Cortana, Del Rio for as much of a douche as he was and Lasky. Gone was the Arbiters and Johnsons who peppered the story up and even the talkative Covenant who at least conveyed their motives on the battlefield. I felt like a total badass as I mowed down the Covies and they not only fled in fear but spoke my name (or nickname, whatever). The villains in this are just.. there. Motives they have be damned, it wasn't really conveyed well. We get a quick throwaway line for the Covenant still being around and Cortana knows who the Didact is off the bat without giving any explanation for us clueless viewers. And there was barely any notable UNSC interaction. I loved how when Chief was on the field in previous Halos the marines were there bigging him up along the way. In this one you barely interact with your peers even though there's entire platoons of Spartans now.

All in all it just seemed bland. Not bad by any means but bland.
---
[ ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ]
http://i47.tinypic.com/5c0mk7.png
#16esprailePosted 2/20/2013 1:45:01 AM
mocity_gangsta posted...
Whats funny is at this point you dont have to spend a cent on the books. Ever heard of wikipedia....maybe this thing called google?

But you shouldnt have to stop playing the game and start googling info to understand the story. That's bad story design.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the story, but there were certain aspects that they left too vague. A good example of this is why the Elites are now fighting us again. I had to google that which annoyed me slightly.
---
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
#17VauntXPosted 2/20/2013 3:36:08 AM
mocity_gangsta posted...
Whats funny is at this point you dont have to spend a cent on the books. Ever heard of wikipedia....maybe this thing called google?

Why the hell do people keep putting forth this argument as if it is worth a damn? Yes, I can use google to fill in the gaps in my knowledge. Doesn't change the fact that the story is told in an awfully obfuscatory way
#18IamChaChaPosted 2/20/2013 4:39:22 AM
Brethren, I ask that we may parlay. Please don't attack me and call me a heathen zealot scum and such but....if you go to see a movie that leaves plot points and information out because it has a book that it's based on and can be easily obtained....does that mean you have no right to judge the incompleteness of the movie itself as opposed to the franchise's lore?

Didn't one of the Harry Potter movies get well deserved flak for showing Harry randomly use a mirror in times of need that never appeared in the previous movies or since, with no exposition? Apparently there was a lot of explanation as to what the mirror was and why he was using it, but none of such appeared in the movie, and so inevitable vagueness and confusion arose. Correct me if I'm wrong please, I don't have a full grasp on that issue.

It's not how easy it is to obtain the info, or how deep and well written the info really is: if it's incomplete in the medium it's being presented in, it's incomplete. A story should explain essential plot points and the external lore can assuage the vagueness, FURTHER develop character, motives, and elements the medium didn't have time to address (for fear of being too dense) and over all ADD to the experience and give you a healthier understanding sometimes MORE interesting than the medium itself. BUT not to fill in incomplete blanks of debatably important omissions. I mean comic books and novels should almost by definition be better due to their sheer volume and opportunity for exposition, so I have absolutely no doubt that Halo has a very deep, rich lore. But again, doesn't matter how deep it is, when you do not properly explain certain aspects or even hint at them in the game. Suppose one never gets the opportunity to read the books: they should have lost an opportunity to get a clearer picture and reinforce what they experienced, not losing a chance at making sense of what he was just subject to.
---
If Jimmy's mom had four children, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, what is the fourth ones name?
#19esprailePosted 2/20/2013 5:04:35 AM
IamChaCha posted...
Brethren, I ask that we may parlay. Please don't attack me and call me a heathen zealot scum and such but....if you go to see a movie that leaves plot points and information out because it has a book that it's based on and can be easily obtained....does that mean you have no right to judge the incompleteness of the movie itself as opposed to the franchise's lore?

Didn't one of the Harry Potter movies get well deserved flak for showing Harry randomly use a mirror in times of need that never appeared in the previous movies or since, with no exposition? Apparently there was a lot of explanation as to what the mirror was and why he was using it, but none of such appeared in the movie, and so inevitable vagueness and confusion arose. Correct me if I'm wrong please, I don't have a full grasp on that issue.

It's not how easy it is to obtain the info, or how deep and well written the info really is: if it's incomplete in the medium it's being presented in, it's incomplete. A story should explain essential plot points and the external lore can assuage the vagueness, FURTHER develop character, motives, and elements the medium didn't have time to address (for fear of being too dense) and over all ADD to the experience and give you a healthier understanding sometimes MORE interesting than the medium itself. BUT not to fill in incomplete blanks of debatably important omissions. I mean comic books and novels should almost by definition be better due to their sheer volume and opportunity for exposition, so I have absolutely no doubt that Halo has a very deep, rich lore. But again, doesn't matter how deep it is, when you do not properly explain certain aspects or even hint at them in the game. Suppose one never gets the opportunity to read the books: they should have lost an opportunity to get a clearer picture and reinforce what they experienced, not losing a chance at making sense of what he was just subject to.

I see your point about films that were based on books, but I think this case is different. In your example of Harry Potter, the films were based on the books, so the books are the "primary" material as it were.

With Halo the "primary" material is the games. Whilst it is acceptable that there is extra information about non crucial plot points provided in a book, I think that something more important points should be included in the game. In my opinion something like the reason you are fighting covenant forces when there was a truce at the end of the last game, is fairly important plot information.

A good example of external material used well is Captain Lasky - I hadn't watch Forward Unto Dawn before play H4, but didn't feel like I missed anything. After watching it I think it added nicely to the overall lore.

So, as you said, external material should be used to expand on ideas provided by the primary material, not be a prerequisite.
---
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
#20SunDevil77Posted 2/20/2013 5:43:36 AM
Quote:Paper_Mario_4 posted...

Have a great day.

She was kind of having her mind ripped apart.

@tristin809
Don't worry, Paper Mario is an obnoxious little semi-troll.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.