A brand new controller or one that's broken in and 'loose'?

#1ToucheAmorePosted 2/22/2013 4:59:16 PM
Which do you play better with?
---
http://www.last.fm/user/spazma7ik
http://oi53.tinypic.com/28a111e.jpg
#2BigRobb2389Posted 2/22/2013 5:02:23 PM
definitely one that's been broken in.

i recently had the opportunity to have two controllers that I used from new to semi-broken in.

Feels much better with a controller that has at least some use to it.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/BigRobb/
#3Demigod_ElessarPosted 2/22/2013 5:27:36 PM
I've only ever gone through three different controllers in my seven years of owning a 360.

I used the default controller I got with my first console back in 2006. That one lasted me up until 2009, when I got the Halo 3: ODST controller. Then, that one lasted me up until 2012, when I got the Halo 4 LE controller, and I am currently using that one.

So, while I love the feel of a brand new controller in my hands, after a few months or so it's pretty much worn down already. But they seem to be lasting me several years *knocks on wood*
---
IRON MAIDEN IS MY RELIGION!
Gamertag: Demigod Elessar
#4MephystoPosted 2/22/2013 9:16:28 PM
Demigod_Elessar posted...
So, while I love the feel of a brand new controller in my hands, after a few months or so it's pretty much worn down already. But they seem to be lasting me several years *knocks on wood*

Don't know how you managed that, the build quality of xbox controllers is just frickin horrible... I can't count the number of controllers I've gone through so far on one hand, and I'm easy on my controllers too (I don't stress them or throw them.. ever).

The last controller I bought was wired and cost me around $30 on Amazon (I gave up spending more than that on them, they fail too much anymore to be worth the cost). And even with that one, I had to open it up the same week I bought it because the sticks were squeaking. Canned air didn't work either, I had to use silicone spray in the stick assemblies attached to the circuitboard to fix the issue. And the sticks themselves were loose on the posts too - had to use hot glue on those to basically cement them to the posts/poles better so they didn't teeter totter on the posts while moving them. PC peripherals have never given me this many problems....

...so yeah, new or broken in, I don't care... I just want it to work right and not break prematurely from poor build quality.
#5Demigod_ElessarPosted 2/22/2013 11:54:57 PM
Mephysto posted...
Demigod_Elessar posted...

Don't know how you managed that, the build quality of xbox controllers is just frickin horrible... I can't count the number of controllers I've gone through so far on one hand, and I'm easy on my controllers too (I don't stress them or throw them.. ever).

The last controller I bought was wired and cost me around $30 on Amazon (I gave up spending more than that on them, they fail too much anymore to be worth the cost). And even with that one, I had to open it up the same week I bought it because the sticks were squeaking. Canned air didn't work either, I had to use silicone spray in the stick assemblies attached to the circuitboard to fix the issue. And the sticks themselves were loose on the posts too - had to use hot glue on those to basically cement them to the posts/poles better so they didn't teeter totter on the posts while moving them. PC peripherals have never given me this many problems....

...so yeah, new or broken in, I don't care... I just want it to work right and not break prematurely from poor build quality.

Not sure. It's not that the controller from 2006 and 2009 even stopped working; I just got the new one at the time. I still have my original, 2006 controller (I just haven't used it in forever). I also have my 2009 ODST controller, and it still works. Although, the rubber on both analog sticks is GONE. But other than that, it still works.

Have had my Halo 4 controller since October, and it has worked great. It is also the best looking controller I have ever seen, so I hope it lasts me just as long as the previous two.
---
IRON MAIDEN IS MY RELIGION!
Gamertag: Demigod Elessar
#6Killean_NuggetsPosted 2/23/2013 5:02:38 AM
I need a new one. Both of the thumbsticks are almost bare and have way to much movement. lb and rb cut in and out. rt and lt squeek.
---
vBlite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5x_bc9Lvo&feature=plcp
#7MephystoPosted 2/25/2013 8:05:10 AM(edited)
TDemigod_Elessar posted...
Not sure. It's not that the controller from 2006 and 2009 even stopped working; I just got the new one at the time. I still have my original, 2006 controller (I just haven't used it in forever). I also have my 2009 ODST controller, and it still works. Although, the rubber on both analog sticks is GONE. But other than that, it still works.

Have had my Halo 4 controller since October, and it has worked great. It is also the best looking controller I have ever seen, so I hope it lasts me just as long as the previous two.

Hopefully it does, you have a good run going, lol. As for your analog stick problems, they're actually not that hard to replace. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube. All you really need are replacement analog sticks (you can order those cheap off Amazon) and a T8H security torx screwdriver (to take the screws out of the controller). Once the controller is open and you pull the circuitboard away from the shell, the sticks will pop off the stick assemblies easily.
#8Asherlee10Posted 2/25/2013 8:51:58 AM
Killean_Nuggets posted...
lt squeek.

Your mom
---
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
#9True_ScornPosted 2/25/2013 10:44:03 AM
Killean_Nuggets posted...
I need a new one. Both of the thumbsticks are almost bare and have way to much movement. lb and rb cut in and out. rt and lt squeek.

Heard that. My current controllers all sound haunted.
---
GT = True Scorn
#10Young_HerculesPosted 2/25/2013 11:34:18 AM
I still use both my controllers from 2007. Both work properly but their is noticable wear on the rubber covers of the joysticks. I used to play a lot of Fight Night which is basically what created that wear on the joysticks. Overall they work very well though.