They should go back to how Halo 2-3 handled DLC

#51fiasco86Posted 2/26/2013 11:17:29 AM
JFKandLBJ posted...
fiasco86 posted...
If they would just prioritize matchmaking to match you with other gamers who have the maps, all problems would be solved. Everyone could play all playlists, but you would be much more likely to be matched with others who have the same DLC content. This is how COD4 (not sure about later COD titles) did it, and it worked beautifully.

That wouldn't happen because it would compromise the way Matchmaking groups people within the same skill range.

As if that works anyway.

Besides, people who buy the map packs are people who play a lot and are really into the game. Generally, those will be some of the more skilled players.
---
Halo 1 LAN vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjWnJU2EKY
#52JFKandLBJPosted 2/26/2013 11:23:33 AM
I not saying it works. I am just saying that what you are saying will never happen because a system is already in place.

And you better believe the fine folks at 343 are popping champaign corks and patting themselves on the back on what a fine job they have done with the system.
#53LordPonchoPosted 2/26/2013 1:19:50 PM
darkhare posted...
LordPoncho posted...
And then there's the argument on the side of those that like to be spoon fed maps, pay more money, and think they deserve better than the test of the community. Right. You enjoy your spoon fed content. Coming from a generation of receiving maps for free, justifying a purchase of a map pack is rather difficult.

i dont need to justify buying a $10 map pack, what needs to be justified is why you would even bother buying a multiplayer game and not want to keep it active by buying the map packs. what type of world do you live in where you think that you deserve something for free and yet still feel that you should use that service for as long as you desire? even if you ate free food at a soup kitchen they often ask the people to help maintain the premise.

Because if you used basic reading comprehension, maps used to be free. Now they nickel and dime you for everything, where does it stop? I mean, you have CoD there that is a yearly release with another $60 of content over the year that will.be made irrelevant with the next iteration. How long until every game adopts that? Look at games on PC that have had communities active for years and never had to pay a cent extra for content. Why can't consoles get a clue?
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
#54darren19822000Posted 2/26/2013 1:31:29 PM
LordPoncho posted...
>

Because if you used basic reading comprehension, maps used to be free. Now they nickel and dime you for everything, where does it stop? I mean, you have CoD there that is a yearly release with another $60 of content over the year that will.be made irrelevant with the next iteration. How long until every game adopts that? Look at games on PC that have had communities active for years and never had to pay a cent extra for content. Why can't consoles get a clue?

get with the times man. i remember madden charging for uniforms one year. when was the last major game to give out free maps? i havent seen any in YEARS!. yes halo 2 and 3 gave them out eventually for free...but thats more about them locking you out of playlists than giving them to you for free. PC games are totally different from console. PC skyrim, for example, lets you create mods, texture packs, basically anythign you want. you cant do that on consoles. thank MS and sony for that...but thats just to prevent cheaters. if you have a problem with buying maps or any dlc for that matter then i suggest you stop gaming. PC games dont even give you the hard copy anymore. just digital. and it you dont have internet good luck playing. ive had my internet go down and been locked out of my steam because i couldnt sign in to turn it to offline mode

i dont compare halos map packs to COD's simply because halo DOESNT come out every year. i dont mind paying 30$ for new maps instead of 60$ for a new game every year thats THE SAME DAMN GAME just different guns/maps.

i used to hate dlc...it should all be free. then i started to see how dlc can be good. if it werent for these maps i wouldnt be playing halo 4 anymore. so for me its like getting "halo 5" the same engine with new maps.

but alas you cant convince everyone.
---
gt darren reefnugs
#55Matt_Man_2004Posted 2/26/2013 4:35:23 PM
They should go free 6-9 months after release. Early adopters pay and get a seperate playlist where they can play those maps exclusively and the chance to play in any playlist where all party members have the maps (like it is now).

After 6-9 months not many new people are gonna buy the maps anyway, make them go free and it'll lead to a surge in the game's popularity plus the maps will show up more regularly in matchmaking as everyone will have them.

Early adopters may feel short changed if they bought them without knowing they'd go free, so I guess it wouldn't really work to adopt this system now. But if it'd been made clear in advance that this would happen then nobody would complain. I'm not sure how much it would have cut into profits though if everyone knew they could eventually get the maps for free...
#56darren19822000Posted 2/26/2013 5:54:59 PM
Matt_Man_2004 posted...
They should go free 6-9 months after release. Early adopters pay and get a seperate playlist where they can play those maps exclusively and the chance to play in any playlist where all party members have the maps (like it is now).

After 6-9 months not many new people are gonna buy the maps anyway, make them go free and it'll lead to a surge in the game's popularity plus the maps will show up more regularly in matchmaking as everyone will have them.

Early adopters may feel short changed if they bought them without knowing they'd go free, so I guess it wouldn't really work to adopt this system now. But if it'd been made clear in advance that this would happen then nobody would complain. I'm not sure how much it would have cut into profits though if everyone knew they could eventually get the maps for free...

i bought them and wouldnt complain. youd get 9 months of practice for when they are free
---
gt darren reefnugs
#57fiasco86Posted 2/27/2013 12:30:42 AM
darren19822000 posted...
when was the last major game to give out free maps?

Mass Effect 3 - 2012, along with loads of other free multiplayer content. In fact, a new multiplayer expansion was released just today.
---
Halo 1 LAN vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjWnJU2EKY
#58Bigtymer113Posted 2/27/2013 12:52:58 AM
they should give me the maps for free since im a loyal customer of halo products
---
Nothing is overpowered in a single-player game. -gunsndroses
GT: Swizzy Dangles
#59Matt_Man_2004Posted 2/27/2013 5:40:06 AM
darren19822000 posted...
Matt_Man_2004 posted...

i bought them and wouldnt complain. youd get 9 months of practice for when they are free

Yeah tbh I think it would benefit everyone overall, you'd get to play the maps more often when they went free which seems like a good thing even if you paid for them and others didn't.

Still there would be some people who would be angry, as they wouldn't have bought the maps in the first place had they known they would eventually be free.
#60SpikeTbearPosted 2/27/2013 6:37:48 AM
I just wish 343 would release other DLC besides just maps. I want new vehicles and weapons.
---
"The most important thing is to never stop questioning." -Albert Einstein.
Xbox Live: AlteraLateralus