About John

#1Lawfish66Posted 2/26/2013 7:34:37 AM
What I dont understand is why the UNSC hasn't done anything for John. Yeah, I get it, he's a gov't Black Ops project that should of never happened, but he's essentially saved the ENTIRE GALAXY (not just us, but every damn species out there) from the Flood, from Halo, and just recently the Didact and his band of Prometheans. They have never tried to do anything for him as far as I can recall. They just have him ready up and then ship him out for more combat. It'd be depressing to be him. For instance, I know he's a SPARTAN, but have they ever done a psychiatric evaluation on him? For possible PTSD? I mean, like I said, he's a SPARTAN, but he's still human, and he's probably snapped not too long ago considering all that he has seen, he just knows when it's appropriate to dwell on things like that, hence why he likes to be alone during time away from missions. I dunno, this just occured to me while listening to Green and Blue and I was hoping someone could answer this.
---
"Oh of course, forward it to the top-secret stealth ship. Everyone knows about the top-secret stealth ship."~ shootsmack
#2WHITERYNO1191Posted 2/26/2013 7:40:45 AM
Lawfish66 posted...
What I dont understand is why the UNSC hasn't done anything for John. Yeah, I get it, he's a gov't Black Ops project that should of never happened, but he's essentially saved the ENTIRE GALAXY (not just us, but every damn species out there) from the Flood, from Halo, and just recently the Didact and his band of Prometheans. They have never tried to do anything for him as far as I can recall. They just have him ready up and then ship him out for more combat. It'd be depressing to be him. For instance, I know he's a SPARTAN, but have they ever done a psychiatric evaluation on him? For possible PTSD? I mean, like I said, he's a SPARTAN, but he's still human, and he's probably snapped not too long ago considering all that he has seen, he just knows when it's appropriate to dwell on things like that, hence why he likes to be alone during time away from missions. I dunno, this just occured to me while listening to Green and Blue and I was hoping someone could answer this.

Speaking strictly from the games, not the books because I stopped reading them after they released like 10. I always felt like there never really was time for relaxing. John's story isn't exactly a happy one, but what other choice did the UNSC have? He really was their only hope for success.

Even once the war ended in Halo 3, John was lost. He should've stayed lost in my opinion, and Halo 4 should've started a whole new story. But then way it is in Halo 4, right away John has to keep fighting to survive, and once again the world is at risk. I feel like with the ending of 4, John appears to have some time to be a person, or at least as much of person he can be. Especially since there is no real threat at the current moment in time. But I'm sure 343 won't let that last for long.

P.S. Bro your original post was a wall of text. Use the return key more!
---
"Not one of the 12+ people killed were armed. They were all civilians."-beerconnoisseur
The above quote made me die of laughter. I think I'm evil...
#3Lawfish66(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 8:50:55 AM
bump
---
"Oh of course, forward it to the top-secret stealth ship. Everyone knows about the top-secret stealth ship."~ shootsmack
#4Spoke_WreckerPosted 2/26/2013 8:58:05 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ctuRr.gif
---
What do I look like Mr Frank-****-For-Free? No doe, Hoe? You can't **** with me
THIZZ IZ WHAT IT IZ -- GT: Spidux
#5Lawfish66(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 9:17:09 AM
Spoke_Wrecker posted...
http://i.imgur.com/ctuRr.gif

I didn't think it was THAT big of a wall...if anything, it was a pony wall (no pun intended) compared to the other walls on here.

Nice excuse for ponies, though.
---
#6Urdnot_RuntPosted 2/26/2013 9:33:15 AM
For one, the UNSC probably doesn't REALLY know what John has done and gone through. He's just a special forces type guy with a good track record or even a piece of artillery to them.

That, and the story just kind of calls for him to be the stoic warrior. It's just who he is.

I think you would like the book Halo and Philosophy: Intellect Evolved. It goes over a lot of the stuff you're talking about like how the chief finds meaning in his life through his identity.

What philosophers like Plato, Socrates and Aristotle would think about the chief, the nature of Cortana's existence, etc. It's a great read for a Halo fan.
---
You have one or more unread System Notifications. Please read them as soon as possible
^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf5VFKplzw
#7Blizzard09Posted 2/26/2013 10:23:21 AM
To understand what John is, you need to understand what the Prometheans were. Which was a much evolved type of human. John was augmented with their DNA to be faster,strong and age at a slower rate (there is other things too). He wears armor that was used by Prometheans (It was built using information found in Prometheans tech).

John is a weapon that was built to fight none stop. We thought we built John and the Spartans for use but it was the Prometheans that left the blueprint to build him.

John is not understood, he is looked at as a machine for the most part, someone with no feelings, no care about anything other then combat. We see him different because we know his story but most just see him fight or hear stories. John kinda does what he was built to do and thats fight and fight more.

John never really stays in a spot long enough for anyone to do anything for him. I think Halo 4 ending is the first time he has down time with other people really. Which I can only assume Halo 5 will take place and stop that down time.

People only really hear tales of the last living Spartan has done.. After he saved earth in Halo 3 he was stuck in cyro sleep and assumed to be killed. Now he was MIA but every Spartan is marked as MIA.

I think this the first time he has really been on earth with some down time since what the fall of Reach? (can't remember but I believe Reach was John's first deployment in the books)
---
Mods = Kids to young for this board.
#8AlaskanBluesPosted 2/26/2013 11:07:21 AM(edited)
Haven't played Halo 2 in a while but werent they having a ceremony for the Chief though in the beginning? Although it was a little bit after Halo CE it gave him sort of a downtime.
#9forthnbackPosted 2/26/2013 12:44:38 PM
Did no one here play Halo 4?

First...

To understand what John is, you need to understand what the Prometheans were. Which was a much evolved type of human. John was augmented with their DNA to be faster,strong and age at a slower rate (there is other things too). He wears armor that was used by Prometheans (It was built using information found in Prometheans tech).

No. No you don't. John is a normal human, augmented with human procedures, up until the Librarian zaps him. None of that effects the four decades he spent being a soldier and developing his personality. He uses armor designed by humans.

Seriously, what are you even talking about?

Anyways, the UNSC interviews Halsey at the start of Halo 4. They explain how they are aware that the Spartans developed mental issues, due to their lifestyle. How they all are slightly sociopathic, due to being used as living weapons with no lives. How they have trouble relating to non-Spartans. How they are, at their core, broken.

The UNSC had no time, however, to give them vacations. They were losing a war where losing meant genocide. The Spartans recieved downtime, but only enough to recover from injuries before being redeployed. The UNSC also took action against Del Rio for abandoning John, stripping him of his position and would have launched a rescue mission for John had John not piggybacked to Earth with the Didact.
---
lizard_cops5771 - carbine should be called the space chugger
Urdnot_Runt - wat . . . . . . . . . [[GT: Burns Like Dawn]]
#10Mr_arizonaPosted 2/26/2013 1:59:36 PM
The man took a 4 year nap. He had his rest. BACK TO WORK!
---
http://i.imgur.com/HLzCM.gif