The downfall of halo

#61reseacher2000Posted 3/1/2013 7:22:31 PM
when bungie catered to the fans toooo much
---
GT:gansterchief
#62Bigtymer113Posted 3/1/2013 7:34:00 PM
Must be the first two post you've ever seen.

karma check!!!! ;)
---
Nothing is overpowered in a single-player game. -gunsndroses
GT: Swizzy Dangles
#63KageNoSenshiPosted 3/1/2013 7:35:25 PM
namewitheld posted...
KageNoSenshi posted...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the fundamental flaw in trying to compete w/ CoD by emulating CoD is that CoD is better at being CoD. Why would people play a cheap imitation of CoD when they could just play CoD? Why would people who aren't interested in CoD play a game that is embracing everything they hate about CoD?

Id like to point out that basically every FPS made in the last five years is better* than any iteration of the fish game. All it has going for it is ease of use.

*graphics, technical competence and depth of gameplay.

That's pretty much the point. And the more devs try to dumb their games down to imitate CoD, the more they're only hurting themselves.

BF3 is a perfect example. DICE had a game that was better on all levels, and required more skill and teamwork than CoD would ever dare. Yet for some reason, over time they decided to patch that out, buff the individual player, and make the game more CoD-like. And in the process they stripped away everything that made the game interesting and fun to play.

This is why CoD's popularity irritates people, and why it upsets people when others tolerate the CoDification of gaming in general. Not only does the skill ceiling plummet, but the variety among games gets destroyed as well. But it "works", so devs keep doing it.
---
MvC3 Mains - Spidey(Y)/Deadpool(B)/Doom(B) | Experimenting: Phoenix(A)/Dante/(Y)/Doom(B)
XBL GT: KageSenshi ------ Chikara - Chie - Yuuki
#64SunDevil77Posted 3/1/2013 7:58:49 PM
Bigtymer113 posted...

karma check!!!! ;)

While I disagree with a lot of what he said, I am just saying...I've seen some good stuff on FAQs.

I've personally chatted with some awesome indie devs, read some great reviews, met some really outstanding dudes.

If those are really "the best posts you've seen on here" you have been hanging around some damn terrible boards, my friend.
---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#65Bigtymer113Posted 3/1/2013 8:07:13 PM
While I disagree with a lot of what he said, I am just saying...I've seen some good stuff on FAQs.

The only thing really debatable would be the age remark...and maybe you are just easily amused.

If those are really "the best posts you've seen on here" you have been hanging around some damn terrible boards, my friend.

No way, Halo 3 board was awesome. Maybe not the best post I've ever seen, but definitely up there.
---
Nothing is overpowered in a single-player game. -gunsndroses
GT: Swizzy Dangles
#66ProdozulPosted 3/1/2013 8:33:59 PM
Spot on Kage spot on!
#67whats_a_fanboyPosted 3/1/2013 9:29:53 PM
Anyone else notice that everything seems to be going downhill at an increasing speed? Films, music, games....everything, it all seems to change for the worse, sometimes by not changing at all. Well, the majority of these forms of entertainment anyway and many other things that are more important than entertainment. Very negative, I know, but I can't help but see it everywhere, everyday, in some form or another, that the most popular things are usually just shallow, uninspired clones of what was popular yesterday. Pop music is a perfect example, its name alone means it's what is popular and yet it's usually the worst of all music genres and is forgotten as quickly as it's made. But people eat it up.

Who can you blame? The makers of all this generic crap that is pouring out like a severed artery to satisfy the ADD that has seemed to infect everyone aren't the people being paid to produce it, it's the people who pay for it. I guess it's just me but it seems harder to find quality entertainment in any form and easier to understand why it always seemed like old people dislike young people. Majority rules, especially when it comes to making money, and sadly it seems that the majority of people who pay for games, movies, or whatever, either have low standards, bad taste or are just too easily influenced by those that do. Or it's just me.

Sorry for the rant. Just doing some drinking and thinking when I came across this topic "the downfall of Halo", and after reading all the posts, it's easy to see how much of this can be applied to more games than Halo and sadly more than just games or even entertainment at all.

And for the record, I can see both sides of this discussion about Halo 4. It has new things I like and dislike and at the same time there are old things I miss and some I don't. That's change though. You can rarely ever change something so much that so many people loved before and make them happy. Fans liked it for a reason, and while a series needs to evolve to stay fresh, I think it should have evolved from what it was that people liked about Halo instead of into what people like about other games.

So if you were brave, bold, or just bored enough to read this whole messy post then this next drink is to you. I am getting into my time machine and going back to jam out on my N64, probably Mario or a run through Goldeneye. A time where there were no game updates or gamerscores or anything of the like. Just a man and his analog stick. Cheerio!!!
#68RAGEface14Posted 3/1/2013 11:02:35 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
Bigtymer113 posted...

karma check!!!! ;)

I've personally chatted with some awesome indie devs, read some great reviews, met some really outstanding dudes.

Well, this is the H4 board. The only funny/awesome/memorable things on here are users like Seph and Sheridan and Finaliize's use of the "that's what I call a cool story bro" copypasta. And the first two are only memorable for their outrageousness.
---
RAGEface14
The Crusader of Gamefaqs!
#69DvoloS88Posted 3/2/2013 6:18:17 AM
namewitheld posted...
343 are rubbish. Total capitalists cant create. So they copy. So now Halo is pathetically generic.

In fairness to the souless ones the community deserves no better.

Generic? Do you kno what that means? After halo 2 bungie made the same exact mp experience besides equipment(H3) AA(reach) every time with every single match on any map being a camp fest and rush to power weapons at start of every game. Which is exactly what winning a match was all about from halo2 all the way to reach. 343 switched that up in many ways TRIAL and ERROR people but they at least tried. Ordinance even tho it was executed badly and SPRINT alone are two things that keep halo 4 from being "generic" as you put it compared to old halos. Did anybody play CE anniversary and the maps they recreated? There great!
#70imthestuntmanPosted 3/2/2013 7:43:28 AM
Everyone knows the only people left on halo 3 are hella bad.
---
Stormtroopers can shoot straight, the Tantive IV is evidence of this. Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewbacca all just have plot armor.
I do not count shadow dragon.