..... Halo needs a reboot.

#1thehelpfulgamerPosted 3/5/2013 2:19:57 AM
Let's face it, Halo's campaigns have ranged from "meh" to "okay". There's various reasons for this.

Halo CE was probably the best. Everything was fresh and the Flood was an interesting surprise.

Then Halo 2 comes around and single handedly sells Xbox 360s because of it's much better controller. Dual wielding screws weapon balance up the butt and the campaign has some of the longest missions of anything ever. You did get to play as the Arbiter though, easily the most interesting character in the franchise.

In Halo 3... I really only remember that one Flood level either near or at the end. With those ones on the ceiling and walls sniping at you from all over the place. Not fun.

Halo Reach I found boring. I'm sure some of you have already stopped reading there, but that's just how it went down. We're suddenly introduced to new Spartans that you KNOW are going to die by the end of the game and there's no familiar faces from previous games (that I know of).

Halo 4 adds a new, boring faction, but at least the Flood isn't popping up yet again. For once you're not even really doing anything related to the Halos, which makes me wonder why they bothered calling this game Halo. And ultimately you never take down a Scarab. Fission mailed.

That's all the campaigns explained briefly from my POV, but let's face facts. The Halos don't have much to do with anything (at the moment) and if the Spartan Ops are to believed, the developers don't want to focus on Master Chief anymore than they have to.

So we have less Halos and less Master Chief. Is this even Halo anymore?
---
Bowser: Keeping it real for over 25 years.
#2thehelpfulgamer(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 2:23:32 AM(edited)
Don't get me wrong, however. Putting less focus on Master Chief is a fantastic thing and as he is the main reason the Halo series has felt so meh. He's a relic from an age when you had nameless, faceless space marines because it allowed the player to easily supplement the character's lack of a personality with their own. Which was great 20 years ago because it was hard to make faces anyway, let alone tell an interesting narrative.

Fast forward to the present and we have actual characters interacting with John Q. Space Marine and... Let me just put it this way. If you're writing a play, it doesn't matter how much effort you put into developing your characters if the lead role is played by a chair. Most of time they will be interacting with said chair and you can't hold a decent conversation with a chair. I should know. I've tried.

This makes it hard empathize with, say, Cortana because she spends most of her time talking to MC who always speaks in that same, dull monotone voice of his. And since he never takes off his hat you can't look at his face to try and read the subtleties of his expression. Master Chief can just be a recording hooked up to a drive-thru speaker. Or sort of single seat piece of furniture. We never see him as a person and are thus unable to relate to him.

More over, the lore is ****ed. And no, I'm not going to go into detail over discrepancies and plot holes. Let's look at the fundamentals here. It's an FPS. Guns are a key part of the game as are the vehicles. Now, strange things such as the Magnum nerf and such aside (why would the UNSC do this?), where's all the missing weaponry and vehicles? When Reach came out I simply assumed that the DMR would evolve into the BR I knew and loved. Now we have Halo 4 telling me that's not the case.

Alright, I'll bite, where was the DMR is Halo's 1-3? Were the DMR factories destroyed in some way and they lost the blue prints and only found them between Halos 3 and 4? Also the existing DMRs all committed seppuku? What about the Hornet? Specter? Brute Chopper? Or hey, how about any of the Brute stuff?

Now, let me lead of the face palmers here. I know the Brutes don't appear Halo 4's campaign. However, for whatever reason, they decided to integrate the multiplayer into the story. So much so they changed the name of various game modes. It's not Team Slayer, it's Infinity Slayer. It's not Big Team Battle, it's Big Team Infinity Slayer. See, the multiplayer is just the rent-a-spartans participating in faux battles with alien weaponry that's presumably either been recreated or recovered. So where's the Brute weapons and vehicles? I mean, you have Gravity Hammers, where's the Spikers and Maulers?

At the end of the day, we have a protagonist with no character, screwing up what might otherwise be a good narrative and we have weapons and vehicles drastically changing or out right disappearing between games, screwing up the setting. I say either do it over, or at the very least, focus on a character who's actually interesting. I'd love to know what Arby's been up to. He's voiced by Keith mother ****ing David! Why have you not called him up to do more Halo?! D:

TL;DR - Master Chief is a chair.
---
#3faxmachnePosted 3/5/2013 2:22:12 AM
thehelpfulgamer posted...
Then Halo 2 comes around and single handedly sells Xbox 360s because of it's much better controller.

Errr what?????

what does halo 2 have to do with the 360?
---
Thanks to the guy who blabbed on my old one
#4thehelpfulgamer(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 2:25:39 AM
faxmachne posted...
thehelpfulgamer posted...
Then Halo 2 comes around and single handedly sells Xbox 360s because of it's much better controller.

Errr what?????

what does halo 2 have to do with the 360?

Old Xbox controllers sucked balls and Halo 2 was the one game every Xbox owner had. Ergo, the 360 probably sold more than a few consoles simply because of Halo 2.
---
#5LFCKINGSPosted 3/5/2013 3:28:45 AM
But Halo 2 was on the Original Xbox, not the 360. Halo 3 was the first on the 360. I'm not sure I'm clear on your point exactly....
---
Smeg Head.
#6TravarkothPosted 3/5/2013 5:23:27 AM
I completely disagree.
---
What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?
--Bastila Shan
#7FearOfTheLightPosted 3/5/2013 5:34:52 AM
I think you're too dense to look past Chief's exterior.

In fact, you're applying the same methods of revealing a character's personification with someone such as the MC......where after knowing from 'a whole trilogy' that we were never supposed to see him as a character with much emotion.

Halo 4 breaks off that notion but slowly. By the end, you really can't argue that the Chief is the same.

Other things such as Brute weapons not in Multiplayer = you're nitpicking.
---
---
"When I'm walking a dark road, I am a man who walks alone" - Iron Maiden
#8SunDevil77Posted 3/5/2013 6:42:16 AM
That's quite a big wall of text.

And pretty much every word of it is BS
---
Breakfast foods can serve many purposes
~Ron Swanson
#9thehelpfulgamer(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 1:11:49 PM
LFCKINGS posted...
But Halo 2 was on the Original Xbox, not the 360. Halo 3 was the first on the 360. I'm not sure I'm clear on your point exactly....

.... Right.... and original Xbox controllers sucked... Halo 2 was a game most people had.... so when the 360 came along with much better controllers... a lot of people probably ended up getting a 360 because they had Halo 2.

Also, haters gonna hate.
---
#10HybridSnakePosted 3/5/2013 1:13:48 PM
LoL no.
---
"I prefer to call armour lock "an admission of failure" " - jimmytheballs
Xbox Live Gamertag - Blue Idiot