About the Librarian and Prometheans, and the level "Forerunner" (SPOILERS?)

#1Demigod_ElessarPosted 3/14/2013 12:31:18 PM
So, I was doing the campaign challenges last night (on the level 'Forerunner'), and I noticed something I must bring up.

A bit into the level, you fight your first Promethean Knight and Watcher. This is soon followed by even more, as they assault the Master Chief. So, here's my question (or point)... at this point in time, the Didact hasn't been been awoken yet, and the Prometheans are still under control of the Librarian, or erm, her "avatar".

So, why attack the Master Chief in the first place? If the Prometheans were still under control by the Librarian (they do not join the Didact until he is awoken at the end of the level), why didn't the Librarian avatar appear now, informing the Chief about the geas and to, oh I don't know, WARN them not to awaken the Didact?

It just hit me last night, and I understand it's for gameplay reasons as to why you fight Prometheans already... but story-wise, they're technically under the Librarian's control for the duration of that level. So why have the Prometheans attack Chief? And better yet, why didn't the Librarian avatar appear then, instead of after the damage had all been done?
---
IRON MAIDEN IS MY RELIGION!
Gamertag: Demigod Elessar
#2forthnbackPosted 3/14/2013 12:51:01 PM
I've thought about that as well, and likely because they are capable of being directly commanded but also retain a feral sort of intelligence. Like trained attack dogs given simple objectives, they can accomplish those but lack higher thought outside of combat tactics.

She tasked them to guard the Didact's rest and not have him be disturbed, so human and covenant alike were repulsed as best they could be. The Librarian AI seemed somewhat sequestered in her cutscene, and in all likelyhood simply had no method of giving them further instructions until they reported in for repairs or whatever. She did, if you recall, send out Sentinals to meet with John and guide him to a terminal that she could talk from.

In all likelyhood, she noticed Reclaimers and saw that her tasked guardians were keeping him out as well as the Covenant. Sent the Sentinals to lead him to safety and dialogue with her.
---
lizard_cops5771 - carbine should be called the space chugger
Urdnot_Runt - wat . . . . . . . . . [[GT: Burns Like Dawn]]
#3Demigod_Elessar(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2013 1:29:53 PM(edited)
Yeah, you just would have thought that she'd have noticed John close to right away after he landed on Requiem. So I was just a bit stumped as to why she didn't try to contact him sooner than the 5th level. It is solely John who mistakenly wakens the Didact; yeah, the Covenant MAY have reached the controls, but it seems like they were getting pushed back by the Prometheans (at least, in all of my playthroughs of that level). So the Librarian AI's plan kind of backfired; all she'd have had to have done was try and contact him right away, and almost the entire plot could have been avoided.

One more question popped up during typing this: if the Didact was still "asleep", then how did he scan the Chief at the end of the level "Dawn"? And obviously he tricked him into thinking his cryptum was a satellite, AND even created some of the portals that you pass through for easier access; so if he is in a suspended hibernation, how did he affect things outside like that? He obviously had awareness of what was going on around Requiem.
---
#4forthnbackPosted 3/15/2013 11:26:17 PM
Well, I don't think that John has any particular signifigance to the Librarian. She wanted humanity to prosper, not specifically him. Any Spartan would have done, very likely. The real issue, as I see it, is why were her Prometheans attacking the Reclaimers, including John?

Partly what you said; the Didact is in hibernation but capable of thought (the plan was for him to learn from his mistakes during his hibernation, after all) and extending influence outside of the Cryptum. He is hindering her efforts as best he can, by crashing the Infinity.

The Prometheans are self-aware and self-contained. They make their own combat decisions, and are more trained dog than thinking soldier. Tasked with guarding Requiem, they do it regardless of what that intruder is. She did send her Sentinals to guide him to her, and very likely would have granted Infinity and John full access to everything. She'd have had the Prometheans stand down, once she was capable of issuing that order. But the Didact had other plans, and was working his own machinations every step of the way in opposition of her.

tl;dr = The Didact's influence likely delayed/hindered her efforts to do what she wanted, and the Covenant presence as a wildcard ended up freeing him and giving him the game.
---
lizard_cops5771 - carbine should be called the space chugger
Urdnot_Runt - wat . . . . . . . . . [[GT: Burns Like Dawn]]
#5Demigod_Elessar(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 12:16:38 AM
Makes sense, thanks for your input. Even though I've played through "Forerunner" probably 5-6 times since launch, it never occurred to me until just a few nights ago.
---
#6krazyninjaman3Posted 3/17/2013 9:32:45 AM
She could have just issued the order to attack everything except reclaimers/human thousands of years ago. I'm thinking that her description of what a reclaimer is might have been too vauge for the prometheans though.

Although humans were to be the reclaimers, what if another species took the mantle instead? What if humans evolved differently than what she had anticipated?

I figure that if the reclaimer is truly capable of being responsible for the mantle, her prometheans would just be a test too make sure.