Halo Silentium SPOILERS!

#11JumpstyIePosted 3/22/2013 10:07:14 AM
tell me more about how the flood are the precursors. I remember the primordial was a gravemind and called itself the last precursor, but is there more to it revealed in this one?
---
Mikulekee - ooh do tell
Emi is my waifu. http://i.imgur.com/OhZIvs0.jpg
#12darkmaian23Posted 3/22/2013 12:51:01 PM
JumpstyIe posted...
tell me more about how the flood are the precursors. I remember the primordial was a gravemind and called itself the last precursor, but is there more to it revealed in this one?

Like all Precursor technology, things are a little bit fuzzy in terms of details. It seem that they created the Flood and are the Flood at the same time. With the exception of the single Primordial from the other books, all of the Precursors were destroyed by the Forerunners in an effort to keep the Precursors from destroying them and giving the Mantle to humans.

The mysterious substance that started the Flood infection was created by the Precursors and sent into our galaxy so they could exact endless vengeance upon sentient life. Their ability to be reborn as Graveminds is never explained, much like it is never explained how they can manipulate time and space with neural physics.

The Precursors are very mysterious indeed. They allowed the Forerunners, who were then of a similar level of technology to the UNSC, destroy them without putting up a fight or simply crushing them with their infinitely superior technology. This genocide was then used as a justification for visiting endless torture upon sentient life everywhere. I think there is more to the story than we yet know.

Perhaps there will be a Precursor trilogy too?
#13JumpstyIePosted 3/22/2013 4:13:46 PM
sounds awesome. i like the idea of them creating the flood-powder stuff as a way of making themselves live on so that they can exact revenge on all of sentient life, and that they hate all life now that they've seen that it has the potential to disobey/betray, as the Forerunner have done.
---
Mikulekee - fun stuff
Fu is my waifu. http://i.imgur.com/MXH1jUT.jpg
#14Demigod_ElessarPosted 3/23/2013 1:53:36 AM(edited)
Just finished the novel now...

Absolutely fantastic. I am kind of sad it is over, but I guess it's partly my fault for looking forward to it for so long and then reading through the entire book in three days. I was trying to pace myself, but I just could not put it down tonight, and ended up reading the remaining 200+ pages I had. It did a great job of filling most of the holes that remained with us from Cyrptum and Primordium.

Here's one question I had throughout most of the novel, as I feel they didn't elaborate on it much (or it may just be me): what exactly are these "star roads" the Precursors/Flood were using against the Forerunners? That term showed up a lot in the book, and I don't recall them explaining what they exactly were.

I took it as a literal translation, and interpreted them as actual roads/tethers that the Flood traveled through space on... they were described as being web-like. Then again, that may sound very silly.
---
IRON MAIDEN IS MY RELIGION!
Gamertag: Demigod Elessar
#15Kpt_KapowskiPosted 3/23/2013 4:30:14 AM
Star roads, eh?

that settles it; Mario is actually a Gravemind and is trying to convert everyone into toadstools.
---
Borderlands 2 BAR: 79789
#16darkmaian23Posted 3/23/2013 10:17:05 AM
Demigod_Elessar posted...
Just finished the novel now...

Absolutely fantastic. I am kind of sad it is over, but I guess it's partly my fault for looking forward to it for so long and then reading through the entire book in three days. I was trying to pace myself, but I just could not put it down tonight, and ended up reading the remaining 200+ pages I had. It did a great job of filling most of the holes that remained with us from Cyrptum and Primordium.

Here's one question I had throughout most of the novel, as I feel they didn't elaborate on it much (or it may just be me): what exactly are these "star roads" the Precursors/Flood were using against the Forerunners? That term showed up a lot in the book, and I don't recall them explaining what they exactly were.

I took it as a literal translation, and interpreted them as actual roads/tethers that the Flood traveled through space on... they were described as being web-like. Then again, that may sound very silly.

I thought a Forerunner character in the book stated that the star roads were by Precursors in ancient times to move stars. When battling the Forerunners, it sounded like the graveminds were using them to contain and crush Forerunner ships because they were large and impervious to all damage except the firing of a Halo.

Towards the end of the novel, the graveminds seem to be able to change slipspace to prevent Forerunner ships from escaping. That might also having something to do with the star roads.
#17GasEXPosted 3/25/2013 8:55:05 PM

I interpreted it as this:

-Precursors create Humans and Forerunners
-Precursors decide Humans > Forerunners, but the Forerunners didn't like that, so they ran the Precursors out of the galaxy, to Path Kethona(part of the Large Magellanic Clouds)
- Forerunners kill most of the Precursors, but put some into timelocks that were seen holding The Primordial
- A few Precursors went dormant, and others became the powder that humans put onto the dog things that eventually became the flood.

I'm curious to see how Halo 5 will reconcile some things.

-The Iso-Didact(or Bornstellar) is alive, with some Forerunners. Where are they?
-The Domain was a Precursor, and since all Precursors were killed/destroyed by Halo, the Domain was as well. What were the terminals in 4?
-Not necessarily solely based on the book, but I have a hard time believing the Ur-Didact is dead. He fell into a slipspace portal, and the books show that the armor can keep them alive through almost anything. I'm interested to see how he'll come back. Also, the thought of Ur v Iso sounds awesome.

---
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/072010/1279705271_sleepy-kitten.gif http://www.animecritic.com/_temp/cute-kitten.jpg
#of people that have D'awww'd: 36
#18AngelsNAirwav3sPosted 3/26/2013 11:20:39 AM
Is the IsoDidact still alive? He fired the rings from the Ark, but don't the Halo 3 Terminals confirm that everyone on the Ark got wiped out as well (all the flood and forerunner on the ships about to fight above the Ark were empty after it fired).
---
God bless the sad and selfless. Stay helpless. Cause I've always been stronger than that, hold the weight of the world on my back. Love, Selfish Love.
#19GasEXPosted 3/26/2013 12:50:38 PM
I interpreted it as the ark was outside of the galaxy, and the Maginot Sphere was around the Forerunner capital, or other place of importance to the Forerunners(since the capital was wrecked in Cryptum). The battle was in the Maginot Sphere, which doesn't include the Ark.

Then again, I could be horribly wrong.
---
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/072010/1279705271_sleepy-kitten.gif http://www.animecritic.com/_temp/cute-kitten.jpg
#of people that have D'awww'd: 36
#20AngelsNAirwav3sPosted 3/26/2013 12:54:46 PM
I guess there is some bonus epilogue for Silentium on Waypoint that I haven't seen/heard yet that confirms the IsoDidact alive, so I guess he lives
---
God bless the sad and selfless. Stay helpless. Cause I've always been stronger than that, hold the weight of the world on my back. Love, Selfish Love.