Halo 4 - A Competitive Skill Rank Break-Down (CSR)

#1LagStrafePosted 3/29/2013 7:40:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWMyCpRsSMQ

Hey guys
Just figured it would be a good idea to post this video because the CSR ranking system is coming out on april 8th! The video will explain concepts around what makes a ranking system successful and what doesn't. Also, a really clutch last winning kill by my cousin ( Carvalho96) was crucial to our victory in the game! I want to thank him for being ready to play Doubles with me whenever I ask him.
---
lagstrafe/youtube.com
#2lderivedxPosted 3/29/2013 6:34:53 PM(edited)
One sided games are not purely because of exploitation of the system. People have bad games, people have good games, there is not always an "optimal" match available, maps are not necessarily balanced, with the randomness in this game, one team could be blessed by the Random Number God for a game, the system is not perfect, etc.

TrueSkill is not based solely on number of wins.

Your uncertainty value is not where the game thinks you are.

You claimed that losing often lowers your uncertainty value. This is incorrect.

Playing solo does not imply you have a lesser expectation to win. Your expectation to win is based solely on the people on your team and the people on their team. Being in a party is irrelevant. Solo ranking does not imply you rank more quickly.

And how you game does not imply how you live your life.
---
what do you expect from a gun (DMR) that has a krazy-straw for a barrel? - irishman5705
GT: i derive dx
#3darkharePosted 3/29/2013 6:38:29 PM
lderivedx posted...
One sided games are not purely because of exploitation of the system. People have bad games, people have good games, there is not always an "optimal" match available, maps are not necessarily balanced, with the randomness in this game, one team could be blessed by the Random Number God for a game, the system is not perfect, etc.

i personally love the randomness in this game, being successful in a match should be part luck and part skill. tossing a plasma nade, misssing the person you were throwing it at but having it get picked up by a man cannon and flung across the map just to stick too and kill someone else or aborting a ghost just to have it blow up flip end over end a dozen times and take out the whole team spawning..all of this is just war.

---
Cynicism is easy and has no commitment. That's why so many people do it on gamefaq
#4lderivedxPosted 3/29/2013 6:39:42 PM
being successful in a match should be part luck

Why?

tossing a plasma nade, misssing the person you were throwing it at but having it get picked up by a man cannon and flung across the map just to stick too and kill someone else

That's not the kind of randomness I'm talking about.
---
You hate even numbers? Are you one of those people that only eats certain colors of M&Ms? -skiergamer23
#5darkharePosted 3/29/2013 6:49:51 PM
lderivedx posted...
being successful in a match should be part luck

Why?

tossing a plasma nade, misssing the person you were throwing it at but having it get picked up by a man cannon and flung across the map just to stick too and kill someone else

That's not the kind of randomness I'm talking about.

because its unpredictable, you never know what the hell is going to happen. someone playing the same map the same way everytime because people want to define the maps flow by rushing the power weapons spawn is montonous. i prefer a game that forces you to play it differently from one moment to the next, because that to me makes the skill gap greater.
---
Cynicism is easy and has no commitment. That's why so many people do it on gamefaq
#6Killean_NuggetsPosted 3/29/2013 6:52:19 PM
Who's this derive guy. Thinking competition shouldn't involve lots of luck. God man randomness is skill. I got your backs, baddies.
---
vBlite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5x_bc9Lvo&feature=plcp
#7lderivedxPosted 3/29/2013 6:55:51 PM(edited)
You answered why you would like a successful math to be part luck, not why it should be.

The latter is a much stronger statement.

Who's this derive guy. Thinking competition shouldn't involve lots of luck. God man randomness is skill. I got your backs, baddies.

Don't you have sheep to woo? (jk)
---
"you got hit by a car? lmao nice awareness, no wonder you suck at halo." - sloppy
#8darkharePosted 3/29/2013 6:58:46 PM(edited)
Killean_Nuggets posted...

randomness isnt skill, but being able to get your ass out alive when random things happen around you sure the hell is. this game has alot of random crap that happens, and i personally prefer it that way cause as i said it makes the gap between skillfull players and random casual players greater.

lderivedx posted...
You answered why you would like a successful math to be part luck, not why it should be.

The latter is a much stronger statement.

fair enough, but my answer would simply be "why shouldnt it be"? luck plays a factor in all types of success, why do people feel that luck shouldnt be a factor in a competitive multiplayer game?

#9bd0g5Posted 3/29/2013 6:57:27 PM

randomness isnt skill, but being able to get your ass out alive when random things happen around you sure the hell is. this game has alot of random crap that happens, and i personally prefer it that way cause as i said it makes the gap between skillfull players and random casual players greater.

Just wondering, what's your gamertag?
---
OOOH LAWD JESUS OH JESUS GET DA WATER *****! IT GOING DOWN! DEM MOTHER******* BOOTLEG FIREWORK ****! OH ****! wooo
#10darkharePosted 3/29/2013 7:03:12 PM
bd0g5 posted...

Just wondering, what's your gamertag?

im curious why you feel this to be relevent.. would you consider my opinion less if i wasnt up to your standards?
---