GameSpot Live - Halo Reborn - GDC Postmortem

#31Johnny_Jon_117Posted 3/29/2013 9:20:16 PM
pcmike2 posted...
Johnny_Jon_117 posted...
lderivedx posted...
it's better to change than to stay the same

Why do people always force it into this dichotomy?

People aren't annoyed that it's changed, people are annoyed at what has changed and why. (in general)
Joinin progress was way overdue, sprint was implemented well, the new guns work well in game. Despite the DMR being a little overpowered the game's pretty balanced. The only annoyances I can think of is people picking the same map but that isn't 343i's fault that's the people's fault. You'll get mixed opinions on the ordnance drops so I can't really speak about that. Other than that it's still halo at its core.

Personal loadouts?

Lack of gametypes/customization?

random power weapons throughout the map?

Personal load outs work as you can pick whatever gun you want and it's not like you can have a power weapon in the load out. There are more game types than any of the halo games. There were random power weapons in the old halos as well.
---
"There must be simplified explanations of nature, because God is not capricious or arbitrary. No such faith comforts the software engineer." -Einstein
#32lderivedxPosted 3/29/2013 9:21:27 PM
There were random power weapons in the old halos as well.

What.

In fiesta, sure.
---
"you got hit by a car? lmao nice awareness, no wonder you suck at halo." - sloppy
GT: i derive dx
#33Nether_RulerPosted 3/29/2013 10:08:02 PM
iRGush posted...
http://imgur.com/wzTftZN

Lol, I want to shake the hand of whoever greenlit that slide.
---
Powdered Toast Man
#34Dr_Koopa76Posted 3/29/2013 11:20:36 PM
Perfect boxart for Halo 5

http://www.abload.de/img/halolxqaxu.jpg
---
3DS FC: 1203-9216-5732/PSN: Lazykarl24
http://i.imgur.com/vGM0GJd.jpg
#35jakethenoobPosted 3/29/2013 11:24:31 PM
Johnny_Jon_117 posted...
jakethenoob posted...
Johnny_Jon_117 posted...
lderivedx posted...
it's better to change than to stay the same

Why do people always force it into this dichotomy?

People aren't annoyed that it's changed, people are annoyed at what has changed and why. (in general)
Joinin progress was way overdue, sprint was implemented well, the new guns work well in game. Despite the DMR being a little overpowered the game's pretty balanced. The only annoyances I can think of is people picking the same map but that isn't 343i's fault that's the people's fault. You'll get mixed opinions on the ordnance drops so I can't really speak about that. Other than that it's still halo at its core.

Join in progress is straight-up stupid. No one enjoys joining a game where you're losing by a bunch of kills and the game is almost over.

Sprinting could have been avoided by just making the normal walking speed a bit faster.

Those two things are only in because Call of Duty made them so popular.

Join in progress was in halo CE on pc and that's consider by a lot of people as the best halo game (or at least as good as halo 2). Sprint is a standard feature that's in a lot of games not just Call of Duty.

I'm pretty sure Halo PC has server lists like pretty much any other PC game and not matchmaking so you can just join games whenever you want which isn't the same at all.

And I know CoD didn't invent sprinting, it didn't invent pretty much anything it has but it DID make it popular so everyone copies it now, including Halo.
---
Game collection: http://postimage.org/gallery/1tqkmeku/
#36TheIastspartanPosted 3/30/2013 12:42:09 AM
Johnny_Jon_117 posted...
jakethenoob posted...
Ok I guess I'm the only one that noticed he didn't put a link:

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=halo-reborn-gdc-postmortem-20130329

According to some guy on Waypoint:

"Historically, we've had these twod audiences in Halo.... Campaign and Multiplayer..... We wanted to bind them"

"We wanted to create an experience where Campaign players could do well in Multiplayer, and introduce Multiplayer players into Campaign".

"We wanted to help new players find success, help them get power weapons in ordnance that they might never have gotten a hold of before"

"We want to make Halo more accessible and easier to succeed at"

"Halo always had a steep learning curve that threw players off, we wanted to change that"

"We listened to all the community feedback, and realised that players didn't want an even playing field and put a progression system in, which is what they wanted" - U WOT M8?(p)

RIP Halo I cry evertiem

I'm sorry but I think it's a good and fair thing that players who's not that good at the game can get a chance to beat good players otherwise the newer players would stop playing.

I'd rather have newer players stop playing than long time fans stop playing. Go to CoD if Halo isn't your thing; our game shouldn't have to loose it's identity, and subsequently, it's oldest fans, because of 343i catering to what seems like an age of braindead gamers. But I digress. After all, the fact that Halo 4 has the weakest community to date is enough to show 343i has no clue what they're doing.
#37That1GuyyPosted 3/30/2013 1:19:44 AM
Johnny_Jon_117 posted...
I'm sorry but I think it's a good and fair thing that players who's not that good at the game can get a chance to beat good players otherwise the newer players would stop playing.

Instead of ruining the fun for the good players by doing this, why don't you instead match the bad players against other bad players? Everyone gets a fair chance to win, and everyone gets to have fun.

It utterly baffles me that people like Frank O'Conner are against skillbased matchmaking, and then they get confused as to how to solve the problem of bad players getting stomped all the time.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#38Johnny_Jon_117Posted 3/30/2013 4:44:20 AM
@jakethenoob

Once again cod got nothing to do with this. You only saying that because you seem to really hate that game. Halo needed to evolve and it's 343i's game. Sprint works really well in this game, I really don't see how it could be that much of a problem for you. You don't have to use it you know. If you hate halo 4 then stop playing it but otherwise this is how halo 5 and 6 will be.
---
"There must be simplified explanations of nature, because God is not capricious or arbitrary. No such faith comforts the software engineer." -Einstein
#39Johnny_Jon_117Posted 3/30/2013 4:50:43 AM
TheIastspartan posted...
Johnny_Jon_117 posted...
jakethenoob posted...
Ok I guess I'm the only one that noticed he didn't put a link:

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=halo-reborn-gdc-postmortem-20130329

According to some guy on Waypoint:

"Historically, we've had these twod audiences in Halo.... Campaign and Multiplayer..... We wanted to bind them"

"We wanted to create an experience where Campaign players could do well in Multiplayer, and introduce Multiplayer players into Campaign".

"We wanted to help new players find success, help them get power weapons in ordnance that they might never have gotten a hold of before"

"We want to make Halo more accessible and easier to succeed at"

"Halo always had a steep learning curve that threw players off, we wanted to change that"

"We listened to all the community feedback, and realised that players didn't want an even playing field and put a progression system in, which is what they wanted" - U WOT M8?(p)

RIP Halo I cry evertiem

I'd rather have newer players stop playing than long time fans stop playing. Go to CoD if Halo isn't your thing; our game shouldn't have to loose it's identity, and subsequently, it's oldest fans, because of 343i catering to what seems like an age of braindead gamers. But I digress. After all, the fact that Halo 4 has the weakest community to date is enough to show 343i has no clue what they're doing.
So you would rather not see the game evolve? I'm sorry but that's a pretty selfish thing to say. New players deserve to play too and we were all new players once. Once again you guys got to stop mentioning cod as it got almost nothing to do with this. And remember halo 4 will stay on the top 5 most played xbox live games for a pretty long time (and you have to remember there are other highly played games too that are competing with halo).
---
#40Johnny_Jon_117Posted 3/30/2013 4:56:23 AM
That1Guyy posted...
Johnny_Jon_117 posted...

Instead of ruining the fun for the good players by doing this, why don't you instead match the bad players against other bad players? Everyone gets a fair chance to win, and everyone gets to have fun.

It utterly baffles me that people like Frank O'Conner are against skillbased matchmaking, and then they get confused as to how to solve the problem of bad players getting stomped all the time.
Look I'm really, really not trying to be the one to defend the game. I know the mistakes 343i made, they know it too. I played the classics as well as you guys did but "ruining the game for good players" is pure exaggeration. Tell me I'm curious but define a good player because we were all bad once and that's how you usually start when to play a game for the first time. Those that are new to this game will eventually become a "good player".
---