Silentium & the Ur-Didact *spoilers*

#1Jodo FettPosted 3/30/2013 3:51:23 PM
I was hoping Silentium would explain why/how the Ur-Didact became the human hating force of "ancient evil" that we faced in Halo 4, when he was supposed to be.. well, what the IsoDidact turned out to be: the Forerunner champion who was fond of humans and acted in their best interest as the Reclaimers they were regarded to be.

Silentium didn't really offer much by way of an explanation. We get that he was interrogated by/spoke to a Gravemind during the Forerunner-Flood War. Then he comes back, meets face to face with his wife and duplicate, wisks away in his ship, shows up with the Composer, and pretty much what we saw in the Halo 4 terminals happens there on out up to him being sealed in his Cryptum.

So what happened? Was he driven to a state of madness by his conversation with the Gravemind, and basically went off the rails after that point? All it came down to was that he lost his mind and went crazy?
---
King of Slackers
PSN: SDPlissken81, LIVE: CaIIMeSnake
#2Spoke_WreckerPosted 3/30/2013 3:54:15 PM
He played a game of Regicide and went crazy when KSIyolo420swag beat him with a negative score.
---
What do I look like Mr Frank-****-For-Free? No doe, Hoe? You can't **** with me
THIZZ IZ WHAT IT IZ -- GT: Spidux
#3Demigod_ElessarPosted 3/30/2013 10:13:24 PM
I interpreted it as the meeting with the Gravemind literally drove him mad. I even believe there was a quote somewhere there in the book where he said he had never been in the presence of something so powerful, so ancient; and was awestruck throughout it. Especially since the Gravemind decided to release him, and not kill him, as the Ur-Didact was expecting.

The Gravemind also revealed to him the harsh revelation that Humanity was supposed to attain the Mantle, not the Forerunners. He basically lost his sanity after the meeting. This combination led him to the desperate and irrational use of the Composer on the Librarian's humans (So that they would pose no more possible threat in the future, and could not attain the Mantle).

Plus, he had been the leader of the Forerunner armies during the Forerunner-Human War, so it went back even to then. Although then, he had a love/hate relationship with Humanity; hating them while respecting them at the same time (believing they were honorable and worthy opponents).
---
IRON MAIDEN IS MY RELIGION!
Gamertag: Demigod Elessar
#4SheikumsPosted 3/31/2013 12:41:42 AM
Not to mention he spent his time on requiem without the domain.
#5Demigod_ElessarPosted 3/31/2013 1:43:36 AM
Sheikums posted...
Not to mention he spent his time on requiem without the domain.

Ah, yeah, an extra good point; kind of behind the scenes of it all. So basically, after the Domain is destroyed from the firing of the Halo arrays, he was left there literally to stew in his own juice for 100,000+ years.

I'm sure anyone who had to be subjected to that would be pissed at just about the entire universe as a result.
---
#6metroidman92Posted 3/31/2013 2:21:50 AM
Is that pretty much the gist of Silentium? Saved me about $15
---
This exchange is over.
#7devil mingyPosted 3/31/2013 5:44:07 AM
There's a bit more to it, but the wiki should suffice as always.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#8Jodo Fett(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2013 5:20:18 PM
How was the Domain destroyed if the Terminals in Halo 4 came from it? The notion that the Domain was in fact a Precursor-born technology and universal database, I believe was a ruse by the Gravemind that claimed as much, to try and prevent the firing of the Halo array once it realized all the pieces were in place to do so.
---
King of Slackers
PSN: SDPlissken81, LIVE: CaIIMeSnake
#9ProdozulPosted 3/31/2013 6:13:42 PM
Jodo Fett posted...
How was the Domain destroyed if the Terminals in Halo 4 came from it? The notion that the Domain was in fact a Precursor-born technology and universal database, I believe was a ruse by the Gravemind that claimed as much, to try and prevent the firing of the Halo array once it realized all the pieces were in place to do so.

I haven't thought of that, kind of like when he convinced the the Chief and Arbiter to join with him in order to stop the Ark from firing.
#10Demigod_ElessarPosted 3/31/2013 7:00:41 PM
Jodo Fett posted...

Not a bad theory, but how do we know that the terminals in Halo 4 are specifically the Domain? This would be the first I've heard of this, if true.

Why I bring it up is: as far as I know, the Domain is in no way physical (as in an actual terminal), and doesn't even technically "exist" in normal time; but accessed through mind and consciousness (ie, through Forerunner armor, or just in deep meditation).

If it is true that the terminals are, in fact, the Domain... then the only explanation I have is maybe certain parts (or fragments) survived the firing of the Halo's? Especially since they do take the form of terminals stashed on Requiem (where the firing wouldn't have had any effect), maybe that explains why the Halo 4 terminals survived; while the Domain and a whole did perhaps perish?
---