Silentium & the Ur-Didact *spoilers*

#11Jodo Fett(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2013 11:29:11 PM
Demigod_Elessar posted...
Jodo Fett posted...
How was the Domain destroyed if the Terminals in Halo 4 came from it? The notion that the Domain was in fact a Precursor-born technology and universal database, I believe was a ruse by the Gravemind that claimed as much, to try and prevent the firing of the Halo array once it realized all the pieces were in place to do so.

Not a bad theory, but how do we know that the terminals in Halo 4 are specifically the Domain? This would be the first I've heard of this, if true.

Why I bring it up is: as far as I know, the Domain is in no way physical (as in an actual terminal), and doesn't even technically "exist" in normal time; but accessed through mind and consciousness (ie, through Forerunner armor, or just in deep meditation).

If it is true that the terminals are, in fact, the Domain... then the only explanation I have is maybe certain parts (or fragments) survived the firing of the Halo's? Especially since they do take the form of terminals stashed on Requiem (where the firing wouldn't have had any effect), maybe that explains why the Halo 4 terminals survived; while the Domain and a whole did perhaps perish?

Halopedia and several people on the official waypoint forums have pointed this out.
---
King of Slackers
PSN: SDPlissken81, LIVE: CaIIMeSnake
#12AngelsNAirwav3sPosted 4/1/2013 5:53:55 AM(edited)
The Ur-Didactic was driven mad by his conversation with the Gravemind. IIRC there are several foreshadowing phrases talking about how The Librarian and the UrDidact wish the Gravemind would have just killed him, and how the Flood planted yet another formidable weapon by letting the Didact free.

As for Silentium being spoiled by the story of the UrDidact, that is hardly true, and only takes up about 1/4 of the book. The main focus is the Flood/Precursor/Forerunner relationship, and the last battles leading to the Halo's being fired.

My biggest unanswered question was why did the Flood retreat against the Humans then come back? We get a little explanation with the Forerunners being the sole reason for the Precursor extinction, so the Flood especially wanted revenge against them, but it seemed the Flood hated Humans just as much in the games.
---
God bless the sad and selfless. Stay helpless. Cause I've always been stronger than that, hold the weight of the world on my back. Love, Selfish Love.
#13Jodo Fett(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 8:46:37 AM(edited)
AngelsNAirwav3s posted...
My biggest unanswered question was why did the Flood retreat against the Humans then come back? We get a little explanation with the Forerunners being the sole reason for the Precursor extinction, so the Flood especially wanted revenge against them, but it seemed the Flood hated Humans just as much in the games.

It's explained that, per the Precursors' will and design, the Flood can choose whether or not to infect. So to get the Forerunners distracted, and to prevent them from outright destroying Humanity as it was within the Forerunner's power to do so, (and because Humans were the Precursors' chosen inheritors of the mantle, so to prevent their genocide outright,) the Flood pulled back from its attack on Humanity, making both Humanity and the Forerunners believe that the Humans had actually come up with a cure.

(It's interesting to note that Humans later would discover in some form a cure/immunity for the Flood in the form of the SPARTAN I Program; Sgt Avery Johnson, having been part of it, was immune/prevented from Infection during the events of Halo 1 due to the genetic modifications involved with the SPARTAN I program. It's during First Strike that John decides to withhold the data chip containing this information from the UNSC's superior command, knowing ONI would likely strap Johnson to a bed and cut him open to figure out what it is that prevented his infection from the flood form that had the jump on him.)

What this did was two things: Prevented the Forerunners from outright destroying the Human species, and while the Flood pulled back and pretended to be defeated, it had the Forerunners distracted with trying to figure out how Humanity developed a cure/immunity to the Flood. This is why the Forerunners were caught off guard and unprepared when the Flood returned.

The best way to describe the Flood is that it's a Precursor-developed Biological Weapon, to be used primarily as a form of revenge against the Forerunners, and later against all sentient life, with it's own Accumulated Intelligence rather than an Artificial Intelligence, since it's derived from all those that it infects and absorbs into Graveminds and Key Minds.

Unrelated to the original topic, but I must say, two of my favorite exchanges of dialogue in all of Halo come from Primordium and Silentium, and both between the same two characters.

From Primordium:

Chakas: "Bornstellar?"

IsoDidact: "No more, except in my dreams."

Kind of sad when you think about it.

From Silentium:

IsoDidact: "Now, old friend, we have the most important job in history–perhaps in all time. You may very well outlast all of us here. You may see the new galaxy emerge. Tell me, Chakas, if this was your choice, after all we have seen and survived... would you fire the rings?"

Chakas/343 Guilty Spark: [Silence]

leading to the exchange from Halo 1 between 343GS and John:

343 Guilty Spark: "Last time, you asked me, if it were my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed."

Cool how they finally wrapped up that loose end mystery of who 343GS was talking to. Makes you wonder what his silence could be interpreted as.

Now they just have to tell us what the deal was with the mysterious ship that crashed and sealed up on Alpha Halo/Installation 04 during the CEA Terminals.
---
King of Slackers
#14Demigod_ElessarPosted 4/1/2013 10:54:41 AM
Jodo Fett posted...
From Primordium:

Agreed, this was one of my favorite quotes, and it is very eerie.

Jodo Fett posted...
From Silentium:

IsoDidact: "Now, old friend, we have the most important job in history–perhaps in all time. You may very well outlast all of us here. You may see the new galaxy emerge. Tell me, Chakas, if this was your choice, after all we have seen and survived... would you fire the rings?"

343 Guilty Spark: "Last time, you asked me, if it were my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed."

Also made this connection close to right away as well. Who'd have ever thought 343 Industries would randomly address a 12-year-old quote like that?

I personally can't wait to see what continues of the post-Halo 3 Guilty Spark storyline: regarding him searching for the Librarian, Riser, and Vinnevra (the latter two probably in monitor form)... was disappointed to see they didn't address it at all in SIlentium... but I'm sure it's just because it will be part of the plot for Halo 5/6 or another tie-in novel/game.
---
IRON MAIDEN IS MY RELIGION!
Gamertag: Demigod Elessar
#15forthnbackPosted 4/1/2013 11:25:04 AM
I like how the Flood are simply Precursors with what amounts to a combination of data-corruption/cancer. How a few of them turned themselves into powder, that would eventually reconstitute their former selves, but due to the vast time spent drifting, errors occured and they did not reassemble correctly.

Glad to be proven right on this, that the Flood and Precursors were the same. I like how Silentium wrapped up most of the events, and addressed that original Halo quote. Waaaaay back when I first played Halo 1, I had a pet theory that I have nursed all these years, that one day John would somehow travel back to that time period and fight Forerunner stuff and be the one to trigger the rings. Halo 4 and Silentium debunked that, sadly :p

I wonder what happened to those Forerunner in the other galaxy, though.....they have a vast fleet of advanced ships just waiting for them, if they ever get spaceborn. Those could be used to jumpstart their technology back to what it was, as well. I wonder if the Didact plans to go and recruit them, so that the next Halo we can actually fight Forerunner and not merely their constructs.
---
lizard_cops5771 - carbine should be called the space chugger
Urdnot_Runt - wat . . . . . . . . . [[GT: Burns Like Dawn]]
#16Jodo Fett(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 11:59:43 AM(edited)
Demigod_Elessar posted...
Jodo Fett posted...
From Primordium:

Agreed, this was one of my favorite quotes, and it is very eerie.

Jodo Fett posted...
From Silentium:

Also made this connection close to right away as well. Who'd have ever thought 343 Industries would randomly address a 12-year-old quote like that?

I personally can't wait to see what continues of the post-Halo 3 Guilty Spark storyline: regarding him searching for the Librarian, Riser, and Vinnevra (the latter two probably in monitor form)... was disappointed to see they didn't address it at all in SIlentium... but I'm sure it's just because it will be part of the plot for Halo 5/6 or another tie-in novel/game.

Riser and Vinnevra are dead. They were placed back on Earth after the rings were fired. Riser and the IsoDidact shared a few words of goodbye before they parted ways. After that, Riser and Vinnevra and the remaining humans were left to repopulate the Earth. They're long gone now, and were never composed and turned into monitors.

The IsoDidact, and the new Lifeshaper Chants-to-Green, and whatever other few Lifeworkers were present, all survived the firing of the Halo array. It will be interesting to find out what became of the IsoDidact and the remaining Forerunners in the time that followed; the IsoDidact fired the rings from the Lesser Ark/Installation 00, but he nor the other Forerunners were (unfortunately) nowhere to be found on the Ark during Halo 3 and when the UNSC traveled back to it after Halo 3 to survey the damage done from firing the new Alpha Halo/Installation 04B from the end of Halo 3.

I'd also like to see how 343i plans to expand on the connection between John and the IsoDidact, since 343GS thinks that they are apparently the same person.

One think Silentium didn't do was explain the phrase "Reclaimer," or why in Halo 3, 343GS spontaneously declared to John, when speaking of humans, "You ARE Forerunner!" when this trilogy makes it clear that they were not.

I don't want to fight Forerunners. I want to be in alliance with them. I was under the assumption that the "Ancient Evil" of Halo 4 would be the Precursors, considering how both ancient and evil they were. I was upset to see that 343i took the easy route and said "Oh hey we haven't fought Forerunners yet let's do that now!" I do like that they finally showed us what they looked like (imagine how mad I was at the end of Halo 3, that not one Forerunner was shown.) But I would rather join forces with the Forerunners to fight a common enemy, than fight those who intended for us to inherit all that they left behind.
---
King of Slackers
#17AngelsNAirwav3sPosted 4/1/2013 11:57:10 AM
It just doesn't make much sense IMO for the Flood to retreat against the Humans, only to come back later. The Flood gets stronger with every victory they have. Once they beat the humans, they would be in a prime state to continue on and crush the Forerunner, who are weakened from an extended war with the Humans. I don't understand why the Flood would instead wait for the Forerunner to decimate the Humans, only to come back later, defeat the Forerunner, then continue on and attack the Humans 100,000 years later.

I preferred the theory of Humanity actually figuring out a cure, and destroying it as a final f*** you to the Forerunner.
---
God bless the sad and selfless. Stay helpless. Cause I've always been stronger than that, hold the weight of the world on my back. Love, Selfish Love.
#18Jodo Fett(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 12:03:54 PM
AngelsNAirwav3s posted...
It just doesn't make much sense IMO for the Flood to retreat against the Humans, only to come back later. The Flood gets stronger with every victory they have. Once they beat the humans, they would be in a prime state to continue on and crush the Forerunner, who are weakened from an extended war with the Humans. I don't understand why the Flood would instead wait for the Forerunner to decimate the Humans, only to come back later, defeat the Forerunner, then continue on and attack the Humans 100,000 years later.

I preferred the theory of Humanity actually figuring out a cure, and destroying it as a final f*** you to the Forerunner.

It was explained that the Precursors were using the Flood as a test to see who was up to task to inherit the Mantle. That if both Humanity and the Forerunners failed, they would be reunited with their common origin via Flood consumption. It was said in Silentium, in greater words, along with what I said earlier, that it was determined that Humanity would not be tested just yet at the time of the Human-Forerunner War. That their time was later; hence Halo 1-3.

It did not sit well with the Forerunners that Humans would both inherit the Mantle, AND the Domain, the collective database of all the Precursor knowledge gathered throughout the universe, AND that the Forerunners were to be exterminated. They decided to stand their ground and take the initiative. Hence their exterminating of the Precursors, and thus, the development and introduction of the Flood.
---
King of Slackers
#19MVNeoPosted 4/1/2013 12:57:03 PM(edited)
I only read the first post, but the Didact always hated humans, but had a bit of restraint. His meeting with the Gravemind (and Gravemind letting him go on purpose cause he knew the Didact would cause larger chaos then and in the distant future) caused him to lose all restraint he had.

Many on here and elsewhere would argue with me over the last few months and say that it was the new Didact we were seeing in Halo 4, but that never made any sense. It was always going to be the older, more jaded and bitter, Didact.

His children were killed by humans in the war before the Flood as well. When he is put into the Cryptum and the Halo is fired and destroys the Domain, he is left in there for 100,000 years with no meditation, only his rage and bitterness. That is why he comes out more evil than ever.

Edit: I see now that there are a lot of posts already detailing all of this (besides the part about his kids). Good reading.
---
http://raptr.com/UNSCleric
https://app.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Halo4/UNSCleric/home/
#20AngelsNAirwav3sPosted 4/1/2013 1:00:38 PM
I see a lot of people saying that the Precursors eliminate a species if they fail to pass their test and inherit the Mantle, is this true? It seemed to me that the Precursors chose Humanity over the Forerunners for the Mantle, so the Forerunners wiped them out, and later made up the whole "Precursors were going to eliminate us" to justify their betrayal.
---