Musings of Light Rifle user: Light Rifle vs the DMR

#1Dark_Assassin_XPosted 4/5/2013 10:03:56 PM
So I've been using the light rifle for a few days now and I just reflected on the entire experience thus far and come up with makes me both happy and angry about using each weapon.

The DMR makes me happy:
-DMR ammo is everywhere because everybody uses it.
-The DMR feels really good to shoot. Your shots are clear an unobstructed when you shoot.

The DMR makes me angry:
-The DMR feels, at least to me, ultimately unsatisfying to use. You get a kill. Yippie skippie. It never seems to feel like I really did much.
-Extended use of the DMR makes you reliant on it. Try using the Light Rifle after using the DMR for a long time. Suddenly you can't kill anything.

The Light Rifle makes me happy:
-The Light Rifle hits like a truck and once you land that first scoped shot you know two more shots in any mode will leave your target open to a headshot.
-The Light Rifle is a satisfying weapon to use. When I get a kill it's not like "Ho hum another kill." like it can be with the DMR. I kill with the Light Rifle and I get a rush, as if part of me is crying out. "Outplayed! **** you and the horse you rode in on, you loser!"
-The Light Rifle is very capable of out preforming the DMR if you get good with it.

The Light Rifle makes me angry:
-That bullet trail. Holy goddamn that bullet trail. I might as well be wearing a sign that says "Hey jackasses! Right here! Shoot me! COME ON! SHOOT ME YOU COWARDS! I KNOW NO FEAR!" Not to mention when you use it it's often hard to tell if you even hit the target through the laser trail and the hit markers are almost impossible to see on my screen.
-The Light Rifle often requires stability to use effectively. "Oh good, you got the first shot this should be--OH GOD DMR FIRE WHY IS MY GUN JUMPING SO HIGH!?!?"
-The Light Rifle is a very mathy weapon. Hey, you know what would be nice? If I didn't have to use arithmetic in the middle of battle to know how many combined shots I'm going to have left when I reload. On the same subject, good luck finding any ammo for the Light Rifle if you run out. If you're using Stability that means no Ammo and that means you'll run dry fast.

Conclusion:

The DMR is without a doubt the easier of the two to use, but good luck ever learning to use much else once you've used it for a long time. The Light Rifle has the highest learning curve of any of the base loadout weapons in the game except maybe Pulse Grenades. But if you learn to use it and use it well I'm of the opinion you can out preform a DMR user in a 1v1 if you're a good shot.

And at the end of the day? I think I'm going to stick with the Light Rifle for awhile. I seem to be doing better with it than I ever did the DMR.
---
GT: SilentChaos87 - Currently Playing: League of Legends, Halo 4, Planetside 2, Don't Starve, Team Fortress 2
#2bd0g5Posted 4/5/2013 10:08:41 PM
i dual wield maulers and run around when i play mlg on Halo 3

hbu bro
---
OOOH LAWD JESUS OH JESUS GET DA WATER *****! IT GOING DOWN! DEM MOTHER******* BOOTLEG FIREWORK ****! OH ****! wooo
#3Dark_Assassin_X(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 10:47:08 PM
Also, on an non-gripe related note:

Why the hell is it no one ever uses the Light Rifle until they find it on my body? It's like I start using it and everyone else follows suit.
---
GT: SilentChaos87 - Currently Playing: League of Legends, Halo 4, Planetside 2, Don't Starve, Team Fortress 2
#4iliekdatPosted 4/5/2013 11:34:29 PM
everything in your post is true but i thought it was common knowledge

hi5 lightrifle brethren we shall rise
#5ChariloePosted 4/5/2013 11:38:28 PM
Dark_Assassin_X posted...
Also, on an non-gripe related note:

Why the hell is it no one ever uses the Light Rifle until they find it on my body? It's like I start using it and everyone else follows suit.

Lol, that happens to me too. Maybe it gives them confidence; if you got kills with it, then maybe they could too. They might think it looks cool too. I also find it funny when randoms pick up my Imprint Lightrifle. They try to use it and fail horribly, for the most part.
---
Chariloe http://www.youtube.com/user/Chariloe?feature=mhee
#6lderivedxPosted 4/6/2013 4:59:43 AM
DMR: hitscan
LR: not

DMR wins
---
I've been known to write some pretty good stuff from time to time. Just ask the mods. They probably know me like a brother by now. -MIxeD
#7iRGushPosted 4/6/2013 6:07:25 AM
lderivedx posted...
DMR: hitscan
LR: not

DMR wins

Contrary to popular belief, the LR is hitscan
---
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
#8lderivedxPosted 4/6/2013 6:29:47 AM

Really?
---
Also, we've already established that your amazing high skill 37 firmly establishes you as bad at Halo. - The Beanster
GT: i derive dx
#9iRGushPosted 4/6/2013 6:32:40 AM
lderivedx posted...

Really?

Yea, someone did testing around the time the game came out theres no shot delay. I think Frankie started the whole LR hitscan thing, but hes the same guy who said the carbine has the fastest kill time, pretty unreliable.
---
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
#10J053F12335Posted 4/6/2013 8:23:45 AM
Doesn't the light rifle totally outclass the DMR if you are using it exclusively from range and zoomed? It's a potential four shot kill?
---
Hiiii