Incredibly Disappointed in DLC

#1Lloyd13ZPosted 4/9/2013 1:23:48 AM
So we have all three map packs now, and I just have one question.

Can someone tell me what 343i was even thinking?

For starters, the maps themselves aren't super-amazing. Because Halo 4 dropped the idea of having weapons scattered on the map for loadouts and ordinances, the maps are simply just redesigned layouts. And instead of unique types of maps, with special features or new designs (moving or boosting platforms, conveyor belts, teleporters, multiple disconnected areas, etc), we just get maps that are equally bland and plain. These aren't the same as prior game Map Packs. These are just like, new sports fields to play on. The game isn't changed, no new features, just new scenery to look at.

And the achievements? PLEASE. These aren't achievements. Hell, they practically ENCOURAGE boosting. Lemme break it down like this:

Crimson Map Pack: 2 easy, 2 grindy, 3 challenging, 1 glitched.
Grind ones were just 20 kills. Challenging ones, the mancannon ones, can all be gotten with ease with a partner. However, I completed everything solo in 5 days.

Majestic Map Pack: 6 easy short grinds, 3 challenging
Same as above, only worse with the introduction of a Free-For-All gametype - making it incredibly easy to have a friend “help.” I completed it in 2 days, with a little splitscreen help.

Castle Map Pack: 7 easy, 1 grind, 1 impossible
In one hour of solo play today, I got the 7 easy ones. The grind one, the disintegration one, takes time to get the weapons, and the impossible one I’ll get to. The Free-For-All playlist doesn’t apply, otherwise they are ALL easy.

So yeah. These aren't achievements. The only "challenge" here is catching the enemy at the right time. Which is why it encourages boosting. Take that impossible one: "Assassinate an enemy who is using a Hardlight Shield." So, first of all, I'm level 130 (never used Double EXP) and, outside of Flood I'm not sure I have EVER seen anyone use a Hardlight Shield. It just isn't good - not nearly as good as the other options. On top of that, I don't really find players who play Halo defensively, so... I don't think anyone DOES use it.

But even if they do? Assassinating someone means you show up on Radar. If someone's going to die, they aren't going to be holding a shield! They'll be firing as much as they can, since they're gunna die anyway. And it's even harder to actually assassinate them, since it'll be spur of the moment, and EVERYONE who wants the achievement will jump for it. Overall, if you don't boost this one, the chance of you getting it is virtually none.

But no. We got terrible achievements, because they are all easy or easy to boost. To me, achievements should be left for actual challenges. Things that take the same amount or MORE skill to do, not some stupid "kill x players with y weapon" or "use z item 10 times." Some GOOD examples of achievements are like, "Get a perfection without using Ordinance weapons." "Get a killing spree only using Secondary weapons (no melee)." "Stay in three hills for their full duration in a single KotH match." Hell, even endurance ones CAN be good achievements, if you have to struggle. "Get a Sniper kill with each of the Sniper Rifles in a single match." See how these would take time and EFFORT to do? And all within the game's limitations, too.

Sorry, I just can't back 343i anymore. I was upset since the beginning, but I always held out thinking they might get better. I may be joining the "won't get Halo 5" train soon. It's just not as good as it could have been. /endrant
---
Treaties not forged in blood or violence are merely fragile fixes in an unending circle or war; a temporary peace soon to be consumed by hate once more. ---Me!
#2lderivedxPosted 4/9/2013 1:51:40 AM
You can't back 343 because they made their virtual points easy to get?

Umm. Ok.
---
technically [bloom] adds to the game. but only in the same way cabbage adds to a bowl of froot loops. - ILikeJumpin
GT: i derive dx
#3butsizzlePosted 4/9/2013 3:13:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vubpDk7BHac
---
"Did you just say that you respect pedophiles?" - butsizzle
"Hell yeah." - _Sawyer
#4iliekdatPosted 4/9/2013 3:31:06 AM
i actually almost **** my pants earlier with the hardlight one. some guy was getting shot by my teammates so he threw up the shield and i ended up being behind him when he did it, but i was just murdering him without thinking and only realized he was holding a hardlight shield as he was dropping dead

he probably did it on purpose :(
#5Lloyd13Z(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 9:48:29 AM
lderivedx posted...
You can't back 343 because they made their virtual points easy to get?

Umm. Ok.

It isn't JUST these. The maps aren't exciting, the achievements are dull, and there's just no point in playing the game. 343i has been screwing up ever since the free Specialization promotion... then it was the issues with Spartan Ops, then it was the issues with the Map Pass and the Crimson Map Pack... There were even issues with the LASO code. But I wanted to look past that because I hoped that the GAME would at least be fun...

Instead, I am level capped, have well over half the commendations, all the unlockables except for LASO, and every achievement (save one), and NONE of the content they have given out has a good reason to keep playing. Each DLC I just got on for a few hours to explore and then was done with it. It's just not interesting. It's not challenging. It isn't going to keep players. Proof? Two months ago this board had dozens of pages worth of threads. If you made a thread, it likely wouldn't stay on the first page for an hour. Now, I can only see 6 pages, the front page is mostly boosting threads, and this thread stayed on top for 8 hours, with only three replies.

I can't back 343 because they failed to live up to what they hyped Halo 4 to be. I can't back them because at every turn, they've messed up something that should have been great. And due to how much of a disappointment this game was - how can you expect any better from the next one?
---
Treaties not forged in blood or violence are merely fragile fixes in an unending circle or war; a temporary peace soon to be consumed by hate once more. ---Me!
#6darealest47Posted 4/9/2013 10:36:42 AM
Lloyd13Z posted...
So we have all three map packs now, and I just have one question.

Can someone tell me what 343i was even thinking?

For starters, the maps themselves aren't super-amazing. Because Halo 4 dropped the idea of having weapons scattered on the map for loadouts and ordinances, the maps are simply just redesigned layouts. And instead of unique types of maps, with special features or new designs (moving or boosting platforms, conveyor belts, teleporters, multiple disconnected areas, etc), we just get maps that are equally bland and plain. These aren't the same as prior game Map Packs. These are just like, new sports fields to play on. The game isn't changed, no new features, just new scenery to look at.

And the achievements? PLEASE. These aren't achievements. Hell, they practically ENCOURAGE boosting. Lemme break it down like this:

Crimson Map Pack: 2 easy, 2 grindy, 3 challenging, 1 glitched.
Grind ones were just 20 kills. Challenging ones, the mancannon ones, can all be gotten with ease with a partner. However, I completed everything solo in 5 days.

Majestic Map Pack: 6 easy short grinds, 3 challenging
Same as above, only worse with the introduction of a Free-For-All gametype - making it incredibly easy to have a friend “help.” I completed it in 2 days, with a little splitscreen help.

Castle Map Pack: 7 easy, 1 grind, 1 impossible
In one hour of solo play today, I got the 7 easy ones. The grind one, the disintegration one, takes time to get the weapons, and the impossible one I’ll get to. The Free-For-All playlist doesn’t apply, otherwise they are ALL easy.

So yeah. These aren't achievements. The only "challenge" here is catching the enemy at the right time. Which is why it encourages boosting. Take that impossible one: "Assassinate an enemy who is using a Hardlight Shield." So, first of all, I'm level 130 (never used Double EXP) and, outside of Flood I'm not sure I have EVER seen anyone use a Hardlight Shield. It just isn't good - not nearly as good as the other options. On top of that, I don't really find players who play Halo defensively, so... I don't think anyone DOES use it.

But even if they do? Assassinating someone means you show up on Radar. If someone's going to die, they aren't going to be holding a shield! They'll be firing as much as they can, since they're gunna die anyway. And it's even harder to actually assassinate them, since it'll be spur of the moment, and EVERYONE who wants the achievement will jump for it. Overall, if you don't boost this one, the chance of you getting it is virtually none.

But no. We got terrible achievements, because they are all easy or easy to boost. To me, achievements should be left for actual challenges. Things that take the same amount or MORE skill to do, not some stupid "kill x players with y weapon" or "use z item 10 times." Some GOOD examples of achievements are like, "Get a perfection without using Ordinance weapons." "Get a killing spree only using Secondary weapons (no melee)." "Stay in three hills for their full duration in a single KotH match." Hell, even endurance ones CAN be good achievements, if you have to struggle. "Get a Sniper kill with each of the Sniper Rifles in a single match." See how these would take time and EFFORT to do? And all within the game's limitations, too.

Sorry, I just can't back 343i anymore. I was upset since the beginning, but I always held out thinking they might get better. I may be joining the "won't get Halo 5" train soon. It's just not as good as it could have been. /endrant

As Commissioner of H4 I can say with confidence that you will buy halo 5 regardless and make me and my puppets uhh I mean 343i richer. The Commissioner has spoken.
---
won't change this sig until pittsburgh steelers gets their 7th ring
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVPxvaIzec
#7GollyFluffPosted 4/9/2013 12:26:45 PM
just boost the assassination and be happy you don't have to get a 2 for 1 with the laser
---
"Captain Falcon wasn't confirmed for Brawl. Brawl was confirmed for Captain Falcon."
#8SunDevil77Posted 4/9/2013 12:33:13 PM
That's a lot of words, and a lot of s***
---
If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten...And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
#9ChibiSomaPosted 4/9/2013 12:57:52 PM
Sure sounds like you're buying a lot of DLC, given that you apparently hate all of it. Hmm...
#10kcoin17Posted 4/9/2013 2:03:06 PM
I want my make believe points that do nothing to make my gaming experience more enjoyable!
---
"I'm bad!" - BAD DUDES