Halo 4 Bulletin 4.24.13 Weapon Tuning and Join in Progress Updates

#1ShiatsuMPosted 4/24/2013 9:50:20 PM
For the full bulletin: http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/04/24/The-Halo-Bulletin-42413.aspx

Battle Rifle
We announced last week that were investigating the feasibility of a 4-shot Battle Rifle and saw a lot of interest regarding how many bullets it takes to kill an enemy. There are indeed complications that exist around a BR that takes exactly 4 shots (or 12 bullets) to kill, and most relate specifically to latency and online play. While a 12-bullet kill feels good and rewards accurate players in a LAN setting, the vast majority of the game is played online, and the 11 -bullet kill provides a consistent online experience while still rewarding skill. Right now, we are testing a 4-shot BR that kills on the 11th bullet, which allows for a small margin of error in online play.

We had also mentioned the reduced rate of fire on the BR. When we brought the BR to a 4-shot, the weapon was dominating at all ranges. To balance it out, the fire rate now matches the DMR exactly in current testing.

DMR and LightRifle
Weve slightly reduced the range at which the reticle turns red for the DMR, and once again matched the LightRifle to this distance. This is based off some feedback we received last week that questioning whether or not it is currently too easy to engage people across the map. To maintain skillful long range battles, weve reduced this range slightly for this weeks testing. Were also investigating slightly increasing the rate of fire on the LightRifle when zoomed, which increases its viability at range.

Assault Rifle
The current Assault Rifle kills in 16 rounds, making it technically possible to kill 2 players with one magazine if not a single shot is missed. Our current balance testing reduces the rounds to kill by 2 or 3 shots, making this feat a bit more achievable. However, a significant reduction in auto-aim makes this quite difficult and demands a bit more skill from players who wield the AR. Our current tests bring us to an optimal kill time range that lies between that of Halo: CEs and Halo 3s Assault Rifles.

Join-in-Progress Update

While the specific settings will vary greatly depending on the game mode, score of both teams and time remaining, the following are some highlights of the current Join-in-Progress parameters:
Once a match has passed just over half of the total game time, Join-in-Progress is disabled across all game modes and playlists.
Rumble Pit now has the smallest Join-in-Progress window, only allowing players to join during the first few kills of a match.
In Slayer matches outside of Team Throwdown and Team Doubles, players will no longer join after one team has reached just over half of the score limit.
In King of the Hill and Oddball, players will no longer join in the second half of the game in regards to score limit.
In Grifball, players will no longer join single-round matches if over 3 goals have been scored by one team. We will be updating Grifball Pro to similar settings in the next update.
In Team Throwdown and Team Doubles, players will no longer join after a small join window during and before the first moments of a match.
The goal of these updated parameters is to ensure that players who join late will still have a chance to win the match, and that players will not be joining War Games Matchmaking matches too late to have a shot at winning. Additionally, these updated parameters ensure that players who join late will not only be able, but will need to contribute to the match significantly. We look forward to hearing your feedback regarding these new Join-in-Progress settings.
#2ODommPosted 4/24/2013 9:51:02 PM
wtf you're not Gush/Fish
stop posting news on here.
---
The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist...
~~PUT A LITTLE FENCE AROUND IT~~
#3ShiatsuM(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 9:51:35 PM
I still think joining a game that is halfway done is not a good idea, but guess we shall see.
#4COG_KillaPosted 4/24/2013 10:28:49 PM
i wonder if they can put out test playlists for these changes.
---
When i'm alone I strip, cover myself with Vaseline, lay in my neighbor's garden and pretend I am a slug.
#5phillyeagles123Posted 4/24/2013 10:52:19 PM
Looks good, hopefully these settings release soon.
---
Best Signature you've ever seen.
#6MrFish86Posted 4/24/2013 11:03:52 PM
ODomm posted...
wtf you're not Gush/Fish

hah, yea I didn't think it was necessary to post about the bulletin this week, because the information is basically the same as last weeks, with a few minor changes here and there. The DMR's red reticule range being reduced to that of the light rifle's is basically the only change from last week to this week that's worth mentioning.
#7PathlessBulletPosted 4/24/2013 11:07:51 PM
I hope they reduce the DMR's mag by 2 rounds.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#8ShiatsuM(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 11:16:18 PM
MrFish86 posted...
ODomm posted...
wtf you're not Gush/Fish

hah, yea I didn't think it was necessary to post about the bulletin this week, because the information is basically the same as last weeks, with a few minor changes here and there. The DMR's red reticule range being reduced to that of the light rifle's is basically the only change from last week to this week that's worth mentioning.

Well they did elaborate moreso on the Join-in-progress patch although I still don't think having the cutoff being a little over the halfway mark. I would have been ok with a 1/3 of the points or 40%. By 51% most games are already decided, but then again I could be wrong.
#9lderivedxPosted 4/24/2013 11:18:26 PM
By 51% most games are already decided

Not at all.
---
I've been known to write some pretty good stuff from time to time. Just ask the mods. They probably know me like a brother by now. -MIxeD
#10ShiatsuM(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 11:29:59 PM
lderivedx posted...
By 51% most games are already decided

Not at all.

So say 2 people on one team quit in IS, the score is 300-200, a new player joins the losing team but they are still short one person. According to the new JIP settings, no new player can come in once 310 is hit. As a result, the teams are still uneven. Although I do agree somewhat that I can see that games can still be winnable. The teams however are still uneven.