"We hired people who hated Halo"

#1jakethenoobPosted 4/26/2013 12:06:34 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191234/making_halo_4_a_story_about_.php?page=3

It all makes sense now
---
Game collection: http://postimage.org/gallery/1tqkmeku/
#2That1GuyyPosted 4/26/2013 12:16:52 PM
I woke up today, read that on Gamasutra, and I was just about to post that.

It's disappointing to know that they are proud of what they did.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#3JaidabeccaPosted 4/26/2013 12:27:03 PM
OMFG, the the most insanely stupid part of that whole thing, imo, was this:

"It's during that time you're questioning yourself: 'How is this going to work, will it be as I envision it in my head?" says Holmes. For Halo 4, he says there were a few epiphany moments that helped boost the morale of the team. One of the earlier ones that Holmes recalls was when the team completed a small piece of the Halo experience that he described as a "very traditional" Halo. User research showed that people thought it was a lot of fun, and it showed that the team was capable of making a Halo game that was true to what the series was about.

343 scrapped it, Holmes says, as it was too traditional. But that first build showed the new team that this amalgamation of different studio cultures could work together and achieve a common goal.

Honestly, WTF were y'all thinking 343?
---
RE4, REmake, HALO 1 & 3, & other videos here v
http://www.youtube.com/user/Jaidabecca
#4AurawhispererPosted 4/26/2013 12:30:02 PM
colin wool
26 Apr 2013 at 10:41 am PST
Sorry, but Halo 4 doesn't belong in the series. It truly is a rip off of COD. It's simply not a fun MP experience and it saddens me that the best 343i could do was copy another game instead of creating a game that actually feels like Halo instead of just saying it does.

Check out http://halocharts.com/2012/chart/dailypeakpopulation/all to see the rapid decline.

Randomness is what creates frustration and not having in-game ranks takes away a reward that COD players and old Halo players have always enjoyed. 343i grossly exaggerates the negative effects of ranks in terms of boosting but everyone knows the MM experience was infinitely better in Halo 3 than Halo 4. Randomness is creates by AA's, ordinances, sprint, no weapons on map, terrible maps, and instant respawn. None of these things belong in Halo, they ruin the experience. You CANNOT have sprint and then have slow kill times. It means stupid plays like running into the middle of the map are not punished because you can just run away.

In the end, 343i is out of touch. Look at the current population, it's a joke. The game will be a graveyard in a few months. A halo game has never had even remotely close to the sharp MP drop off that Halo 4 has had. We just want to play an actual Halo game, please, please don't put sprint, AA's, and ordinances back in.

^ Like this guy stated, this game isn't a part of the Halo series. Something that I've been saying for a while now.
---
It's funny how so many immature imbeciles on here try hard hating me. You think I care, yet I don't.
Try harder kid. You amuse me :)
#5Spoke_WreckerPosted 4/26/2013 12:55:24 PM
Wow. Didn't think they'd out and admit it all like that.
---
There's two types of people in this world without beards. Women and Children. I'm a man Ok? I have a beard!
THIZZ IZ WHAT IT IZ GT: SPIDUX
#6AurawhispererPosted 4/26/2013 1:00:36 PM(edited)
@ Wrecker

It isn't a surprise. They are the ones that ruined Halo 4 obviously.
Tsk. I miss Bungie already. Looking forward to Destiny

Damn typing skills...
---
It's funny how so many immature imbeciles on here try hard hating me. You think I care, yet I don't.
#7Spoke_WreckerPosted 4/26/2013 12:59:57 PM
From: Aurawhisperer | Posted: 4/26/2013 12:58:25 PM | #006
It isn't a surprise. They are the oens that ruined Halo 4 obviously

Of course they are. I'm surprised they admitted it the way they did instead of the usual "Well we're looking into all of the feedback from the community and we're working on making Halo 5 the best gaming experience ever!".
---
There's two types of people in this world without beards. Women and Children. I'm a man Ok? I have a beard!
#8AurawhispererPosted 4/26/2013 1:02:17 PM
@ Wrecker

Is there anyway that Micorsoft can terminate this group or are they under contract just like Bungie was under for a certain amount of time? Literally, if Microsoft depends on these guys, I for one, will leave xbox and Halo, and head back into sony.
(Though no one would really care. Which I don't care if they care or not)
---
#9JaidabeccaPosted 4/26/2013 1:11:41 PM
Now that I think about it, both the HALO Series & the Resident Evil series have done the almost the same thing. RE started & pretty much invented the survival horror genre of video games & was a huge hit. Then RE2 came out & was bigger, & arguably better in every way compared to RE. Followed by consistent hits with RE3, CV, & 0. And then RE4 comes along, completely changing the gameplay mechanics to accommodate a wider audience while still retaining a basic semblance of what RE originally was.

Now look at HALO: CE, it comes pretty much out of nowhere & becomes a huge, console-selling hit that made console FPS games a more viable possibility with it's well-mapped control scheme, insanely addicting gameplay & linear-yet-replayable single player game. HALO 2 comes out &, just like RE2, it's bigger & arguably better than the original. Also like the RE series, it continues to release consistent hits with HALO 3, ODST, & Reach. Then comes HALO 4 &, again like RE, pretty much completely changes the gameplay to suit a wider audience while still maintaining(to a degree) the same basic s***(for lack of a better term) as CE.

The main, if not only, difference I can think of is that RE4 did a better job at reinventing the series.

And also, if you look at it they both follow relatively the same release pattern in terms of chronology. Check it:

1.RE1-2.RE2(sequel)-3.RE3(sequel)-4.RECV/X(sequel)-5.RE0(prequel to RE1)-6.RE4(sequel)

1.H:CE-2.HALO 2(sequel)-3.HALO 3(sequel)-4.ODST(sort-of sequel to the Earth segment of 2 but w/ different characters)-5.Reach(prequel to CE)-6.HALO 4(sequel).

The only two minor things that kind of get in the way is that RE3 technically starts off before RE2 but ends after & ODST is, as I said, only a sort-of sequel, not an actual sequel.

Anyway, I hope that wasn't too confusing or tl:dr but I think it's pretty damn crazy how my 2 favorite video game series have followed a pretty close path in terms of how they're released, when they take place in the story, how they started, & how they gradually changed to accommodate a wider audience.

Also, 1 last thing, don't get me wrong I still love both RE & HALO so 343 d***-riders don't take this post as 343/HALO 4 bashing because that's not what it's meant to be.
---
RE4, REmake, HALO 1 & 3, & other videos here v
http://www.youtube.com/user/Jaidabecca
#10Spoke_WreckerPosted 4/26/2013 1:17:12 PM
Now that I think about it, both the HALO Series & the Resident Evil series have done the almost the same thing. RE started & pretty much invented the survival horror genre of video games & was a huge hit. Then RE2 came out & was bigger, & arguably better in every way compared to RE. Followed by consistent hits with RE3, CV, & 0. And then RE4 comes along, completely changing the gameplay mechanics to accommodate a wider audience while still retaining a basic semblance of what RE originally was.

Now look at HALO: CE, it comes pretty much out of nowhere & becomes a huge, console-selling hit that made console FPS games a more viable possibility with it's well-mapped control scheme, insanely addicting gameplay & linear-yet-replayable single player game. HALO 2 comes out &, just like RE2, it's bigger & arguably better than the original. Also like the RE series, it continues to release consistent hits with HALO 3, ODST, & Reach. Then comes HALO 4 &, again like RE, pretty much completely changes the gameplay to suit a wider audience while still maintaining(to a degree) the same basic s***(for lack of a better term) as CE.

The main, if not only, difference I can think of is that RE4 did a better job at reinventing the series.

And also, if you look at it they both follow relatively the same release pattern in terms of chronology. Check it:

1.RE1-2.RE2(sequel)-3.RE3(sequel)-4.RECV/X(sequel)-5.RE0(prequel to RE1)-6.RE4(sequel)

1.H:CE-2.HALO 2(sequel)-3.HALO 3(sequel)-4.ODST(sort-of sequel to the Earth segment of 2 but w/ different characters)-5.Reach(prequel to CE)-6.HALO 4(sequel).

The only two minor things that kind of get in the way is that RE3 technically starts off before RE2 but ends after & ODST is, as I said, only a sort-of sequel, not an actual sequel.

Anyway, I hope that wasn't too confusing or tl:dr but I think it's pretty damn crazy how my 2 favorite video game series have followed a pretty close path in terms of how they're released, when they take place in the story, how they started, & how they gradually changed to accommodate a wider audience.

Also, 1 last thing, don't get me wrong I still love both RE & HALO so 343 d***-riders don't take this post as 343/HALO 4 bashing because that's not what it's meant to be.

I loved RE. I started with the very first one and played just about every single one... Until the newer games came out. I never really noticed that similarity before.
---