What do you think will happen for Halo in 2013?

#1supermoc10Posted 5/4/2013 7:07:27 AM
What do you think will happen for Halo in 2013? - Results (68 votes)
Halo Spin-Off
5.88% (4 votes)
Halo 2 Anniversary/HD
22.06% (15 votes)
Other
17.65% (12 votes)
Nothing
54.41% (37 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I've been thinking about this for a few days now. Obviously, Halo 4 is a failure in terms of longevity (as we can see from the pop numbers) and as a result, a failure in terms of post-launch profiting (DLC sales). Because of that, I've been thinking about what we could see from Halo this year as MS will no doubt try to make money from the brand.

I have two theories:

1. 343 releases a spin-off (Halo: Infinity? Halo: Spartan Ops 2?) that continues the story of the Infinity and sets up the story for Halo 5. Along with the campaign, there's a multiplayer that is pretty much Halo 4's multiplayer with all its maps but with a bunch of new maps (6 or 7). What I'd want from this would be for 343 to use that MP as a test for how Halo 5's MP should be. They've probably realized that most of us (not only the "vocal minority" but also all those people who left 4) prefer the classic formula so instead of going the H4 route and scrapping it, I think they'd go back to that formula and build on it (for example, I'd evolve that formula by allowing us to choose from a number of balanced starting weapons but that would be it. AAs and secondary weapons would be placed on maps and perks would be scrapped. Of course, set power weapon spawns, de-scoping and no sprint.). That would definitely have a much better and longer-lasting population than 4 as the people who buy the expansion would stick for the revamped and improved MP. With MS' new Xbox coming up, they'd release that expansion on the new console with Dx11 support, 1080p and 60 frames per second. This would lead to Halo 2 Anniversary being released (Relationship between Reach and CEA = this and H2A) in 2014 and 5 being released in 2015 (by that time, 343 will have become familiar with the new hardware and its features).

2. 343 releases Halo 2 HD (not anniversary) on the 360 and 720 with cross-platform play. Why HD? Because Anniversary would've been released in 2014. Why in 2013? Because Halo 4 failed and MS needs to make money from Halo. The gameplay would be pretty much what I described above. That would probably lead to Halo 5 being released in 2014 (marking the first time a main title as been released only 2 years after the previous one).

I prefer the first theory because we would have the H4 we deserved and 343 would have time to learn the new hardware for H5.

What do you think will happen for Halo this year? What would you call that spin-off? Which theory do you prefer?
---
PSN & Xbox Live: supermoc10
"Mr Zurkon does NOT come in peace"
#2Drag_ZEROPosted 5/4/2013 7:26:06 AM
Spartan Ops Season 2 at the most, they're not going to release a full game as the console generation is just starting. Only possible exception is something like Halo 2 HD as a 720 launch title.
#3biohazard1775Posted 5/4/2013 7:41:26 AM
Season 2 Spartan Ops.
---
http://i.imgur.com/s4M4rL6.gif
Here there will be retribution.
#4JFKandLBJPosted 5/4/2013 9:14:13 AM
I could see them just releasing more specializations sometime in the Summer, just as a shallow attempt to get people to play more. I am not saying they are going to, but I wouldn't put it past them.
#5ShingoEXPosted 5/4/2013 9:14:54 AM
Halo 4 didn't fail. It's made a ton of money for MS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_4#Sales
---
"Ah...Natalie Portman...I bet even her farts smell like roses"
#6That1GuyyPosted 5/4/2013 10:12:24 AM
The insane player drop off suggests that 5 will not sell as well as 4. 4 sold so well after Reach disappointed people because it had the "Chief is back" appeal to it. Now that the Chief clearly hasn't saved the franchise they won't buy in again.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#7supermoc10(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 10:26:01 AM
ShingoEX posted...

Have you read my post? I never said it failed financially at launch. I said that it failed in terms of longevity (25K peak now) which leads to failure in making profits post-launch.
---
#8supermoc10(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 10:45:22 AM
Lot of people saying "nothing". Have you guys forgotten that there has been a new Halo title every year since 2009? Why would they stop, especially since H4 failed so much.
---
#9ShingoEXPosted 5/4/2013 11:02:55 AM
supermoc10 posted...
ShingoEX posted...

Have you read my post? I never said it failed financially at launch. I said that it failed in terms of longevity (25K peak now) which leads to failure in making profits post-launch.

"Because Halo 4 failed and MS needs to make money from Halo." The context of this single statement indicates a financial failure. It's not my fault that you can't formulate comments with proper context.

BTW...it's still selling well. The number of people playing online doesn't directly correlate to the number of people buying it. Hell, people gave up on MGS Online to the point they cancelled it, but that doesn't mean people weren't buying MGS4.
---
"Ah...Natalie Portman...I bet even her farts smell like roses"
#10supermoc10(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 11:09:59 AM
"Halo 4 is a failure in terms of longevity (as we can see from the pop numbers) and as a result, a failure in terms of post-launch profiting (DLC sales)"

It's not my fault you can't read the second sentence in the thread.
---