Can a kind soul with a few spare minutes please explain something to me?

#1L4YER_CAKEPosted 5/4/2013 11:40:41 AM
So full disclosure I don't own an xbox anymore and last halo game I played was reach, but I had all the ones before that too. I recently got a new job and was thinking about getting a 360 again as my fatty ps3 may be getting ready to die soon.

So long story short I go to the 360 board and for the first time in my gfaqs career, a halo game is not in the top ten message boards. call of duty is still there and hell even a couple games not yet released are on there. Then I see that topic that halo 4's layer population peaks at like >30,000 people, which seems low for a halo game.

So my question is this, is Halo 4 unpopular compared to the other games in the franchise, and if so, how come? I will do some of the leg work and look at videos and stuff but if someone who has a couple minutes can explain to me from a gamer's perspective I would really appreciate it.

thanks.
---
Braid. Save the princess. Contemplate the world. Save yourself.
#2ODommPosted 5/4/2013 11:55:54 AM
omg someone get derive in here he knows math
---
The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist...
~~I, Zero Your Fellow~~
#3L4YER_CAKE(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 11:57:07 AM
?
---
#4lasdaklsdjPosted 5/4/2013 12:02:52 PM
In my perspective the game it's just fine
i have finished the campaign on Legendary, i have played a lot of matchmaking
and i must say i love it

the story is good, but not the best
the multiplayer has a lot of game modes, and u can master weapons or game types
to earn exp and armor, helmets, emblems

so far i find it a good game
#5RAGEface14Posted 5/4/2013 12:12:54 PM
The game's average population is very low (pitifully so) but it's still quite easy to find a game in most playlists.
---
RAGEface14
You must have white bread, let's make a sandwich
#6TMoney650Posted 5/4/2013 1:16:02 PM
In an attempt to sell the game to casual players, 343 integrated lots of ”Call of Duty” concepts into Halo 4, such as sprint, loadouts, unlockable features, instant respawns, weapon drops and perks. These additions made Halo 4 the best-selling Halo game yet, as well as the much-hyped return of Master Chief.

However, when Black Ops 2 came out a week later, all the casual players who bought Halo for its new features dropped Halo and went to go play the real Call of Duty instead.

Furthermore, these changes decreased the game's skill gap, as weapon drops and new armor abilities introduced more randomness to the game, which is bad for competitive play. As a result, hardcore Halo players stopped playing as well.

So now we are left with a game that is far less populated than the other Halo games were at this point in their lifespan. You can still find games without much trouble, and the game is easy for new players to pick up. The campaign is brief but pretty good, and the new Spartan Ops mode is a fun mission-based revamp of Firefight. That said, multiplayer can get pretty repetitive, as you'll soon realize the DMR is the only primary worth using. Still, this is one of the better FPS games out there and it's fun with friends, so I'd give it a look.
---
XBL: A Percussionist
#7L4YER_CAKE(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 2:01:46 PM
Hey thanks man, I do recall reading alot of people saying that Halo 4 was going all call of duty, but you cant take that seriously on the internet, dumbasses seem to say that about everygame.

The instant respawns and custom loadouts do seem very un-halo to me though. So does that mean no more fights for power weapons or keeping eye on the timer for overshield respawns and stuff like that?

I guess I see the logic behind the shift, I'm guessing 343 was probably under pressure to try and retake the throne from cod as the biggest multiplayer game on console's but just cloning certain aspects and taking away things that made halo halo was not a good way to do it.

I'm really hopping cod doesn't dominate the next gen like it did this one.

Sidenote, I watched some gameplay vids and it still looks fun, maybe I'll wait until halo 5 comes out for what I'm assuming will be the fuzion or infinity and see how that turns out. Provided my ps3 lives until the next gen.
---
#8SunDevil77Posted 5/4/2013 2:23:49 PM
L4YER_CAKE posted...
a halo game is not in the top ten message boards. call of duty is still there and hell even a couple games not yet released are on there.

Oh...god.
---
You'll...never see me coming.
#9DiabloNeonXPosted 5/6/2013 11:11:08 PM
L4YER_CAKE posted...
Hey thanks man, I do recall reading alot of people saying that Halo 4 was going all call of duty, but you cant take that seriously on the internet, dumbasses seem to say that about everygame.

The instant respawns and custom loadouts do seem very un-halo to me though. So does that mean no more fights for power weapons or keeping eye on the timer for overshield respawns and stuff like that?

I guess I see the logic behind the shift, I'm guessing 343 was probably under pressure to try and retake the throne from cod as the biggest multiplayer game on console's but just cloning certain aspects and taking away things that made halo halo was not a good way to do it.

I'm really hopping cod doesn't dominate the next gen like it did this one.

Sidenote, I watched some gameplay vids and it still looks fun, maybe I'll wait until halo 5 comes out for what I'm assuming will be the fuzion or infinity and see how that turns out. Provided my ps3 lives until the next gen.

While there are custom loadouts, only certain weapons are available for those loadouts. Something high powered like a rocket launcher or an energy sword only appear as ordinance drops (either predesignated on the maps or when you earn enough points in game to call for an ordinance drop), so there's still the mad dash for high powered weapons. Goodies like overshields and speed boosts appear only as called in ordinance drops. Even then, it's random whether you'll get it or not.
---
Currently Playing: Halo 4 (360), Forza 3 (360), Paper Mario Sticker Star (3DS), Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (PS3), Phantasy Star Online v2 (DC)
#10thedeerzordPosted 5/7/2013 5:52:50 AM
Halo 4 sucks. Simple as that.
---
"Madam President...May God help us..."