6 months later what do you think of halo 4 and the future of halo games?

#1Johnny_Jon_117Posted 5/9/2013 2:46:01 AM
Here's what I think: Bungie very, very ambiguous for leaving Microsoft Studios work on their next game Destiny. If it's successful then Bungie would be the first to create a quality smash hit console MMO just like they were the first to create a quality smash hit first person shooter on consoles (Halo).

Now obviously somebody has to take over to make the next halo games. This is where 343i comes in, they're first a very small company taking in a million dollar franchise with a enormous fan base. Now with probably more then 300 people they make halo 4 and with the genius "Master Chief returns" marketing phrase the game is a hit. They have succeed making their first ever halo game.

Now here's where things start to slowly get ugly; the game's multiplayer. This is where you're going to get a lot mixed opinions. First let's talk about what made the classic halo games' multiplayer great. Everyone starts with the same weapon battling for map control and the power weapons giving you that arena shooter feel that took skill. Also I'm pretty sure it's an almost universal opinion that the maps were some of the most memorable parts about the halo games. From blood gulch to beaver creek to midship and so on. Halo made what online consoles shooters are today. That was when Bungie was still around.

Now back with 343i, they had 2 options: do the exact same thing Bungie did and risk getting "it's the same game" complaints or be different. They chose the latter and decided to make their halo as different as possible. It is different but in a good way, in order for the 10 year franchise to survive changes has to be made and complaints about what has been changed is to be expected. Halo 4 despite some flaws is a great shooter and I believe that the franchise has another 10 years before it eventually dies out.

Too long/didn't read: halo 4 is a success despite the changes and we should look forward to the next set of halo games and give 343i a chance.

So with that what do you think of halo 4 and the future of the 10 year old franchise?
---
Every game is overrated because the Internet hates everything and wants anything that's going up to go down. Like a true villain.
#2SunDevil77Posted 5/9/2013 5:41:07 AM
343 made a lot of mistakes. A lot. But through these mistakes, they have learned a ton about what fans want. I'm positive that they will use this knowledge throughout the entire development of Halo 5.

And almost all of their mistakes regarded multiplayer. The campaign in Halo 4 was fantastic. Chief turned into a truly dynamic character in this installment. The promethians are good enough, I hope they tweak them a bit in H5 to make them more fun to fight though. The visuals were gorgeous, especially for an ancient piece of hardware.

Halo might not be as prevalent of a franchise as it used to be, but the same can be said about almost any franchise, these days, most likely due to the almost twice as long console cycle. It will be very interesting to see what Halo has in store for us with a more experienced company, and brand new hardware.
---
You'll...never see me coming.
#3DvoloS88Posted 5/9/2013 6:27:57 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
343 made a lot of mistakes. A lot. But through these mistakes, they have learned a ton about what fans want. I'm positive that they will use this knowledge throughout the entire development of Halo 5.

And almost all of their mistakes regarded multiplayer. The campaign in Halo 4 was fantastic. Chief turned into a truly dynamic character in this installment. The promethians are good enough, I hope they tweak them a bit in H5 to make them more fun to fight though. The visuals were gorgeous, especially for an ancient piece of hardware.

Halo might not be as prevalent of a franchise as it used to be, but the same can be said about almost any franchise, these days, most likely due to the almost twice as long console cycle. It will be very interesting to see what Halo has in store for us with a more experienced company, and brand new hardware.

Couldn't of said it any better, halo 4s campaign might have lacked in the big battle set pieces like 3 had but it actually made me care about chief and cortana. The emotional narrative is something bungie never tapped into other than the end of halo 3 when chief was presumed dead lost in space. With reach as cool as the characters were I didnt give a crap about anyone dying even your self at the end.
---
I troll the trolls...
#4bigjman555Posted 5/9/2013 6:28:46 AM
I agree that the campaign was great and there was something off about the mult. Also in halo 5 I hope they do answer some questions like what happen to the spirit of fire, what's the arbiter up to, is noble six really dead( I can hope right ?),and pease show us more Spartans II. But will say i do like whe the story is going. I have some theories for how cortina could come back but I'll save those for later.
#5That1GuyyPosted 5/9/2013 7:04:05 AM
While I certainly agree the Chief is a lot less of a cardboard cutout in 4 than in previous installments, he still isn't that dynamic of a character. The game ends immediately after his character advances in development.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#6SunDevil77Posted 5/9/2013 7:20:28 AM
That1Guyy posted...
While I certainly agree the Chief is a lot less of a cardboard cutout in 4 than in previous installments, he still isn't that dynamic of a character. The game ends immediately after his character advances in development.

That's good story telling. They're making a trilogy. It would be a horrible idea to make all of Chief's characterization happen in the very beginning of the trilogy.
---
You'll...never see me coming.
#7phillyeagles123Posted 5/9/2013 7:51:19 AM
Halo 4 overall is a great game. I loved the campaign and multiplayer is getting better each week. Hopefully, 343 will chalk this up as a learning experience and will listen to what the fans really want from multiplayer for Halo 5. I think Halo 5 has potential to be the most polished, balanced, and competitive Halo right out of the box, just as long as 343 doesn't make more silly mistakes.
---
Best Signature you've ever seen.
#8That1GuyyPosted 5/9/2013 8:38:47 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
That's good story telling. They're making a trilogy. It would be a horrible idea to make all of Chief's characterization happen in the very beginning of the trilogy.

As of right now there is no trilogy. Only Halo 4. And in Halo 4 the Chief still isn't much of a character. They spent the whole game trying to get rid of the character that has been preventing the Chief from being an actual character himself. He's had minimal development.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#9Johnny_Jon_117(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 9:39:44 AM
SunDevil77 posted...

Agreed
---
Every game is overrated because the Internet hates everything and wants anything that's going up to go down. Like a true villain.
#10lderivedxPosted 5/9/2013 10:22:04 AM
I'm not sure you know what ambiguous means.

Also, how does it make sense to claim that 343i changed H4 in a "good" way when the online population has plummeted?
---
Derive's posts are like orgasms... that actually revolve around logic and reasoning. I enjoy reading them. - MIxeD