Halo for a beginner?

#1chughes724Posted 5/24/2013 9:30:36 AM
Since Xbox One is going to have a live action series, I figured I might as well get into the series. Thinking of picking up the Combat Evolved Anniversary, is it the definitive version of the first game or should I stick with the original?
#2fiasco86Posted 5/24/2013 9:52:51 AM
I'm the self-proclaimed authority on Halo 1 on this board (I just proclaimed it #DealWithIt). Here are my thoughts on Halo 1 vs. Halo CEA:

First of all, know that Halo 1, even 11.5 years later, still stands as an excellent game, and IMO the best game in the Halo series. I would still recommend it to anybody that hasn't played it. Choosing between it and CEA comes down to a few specific differences that you'll need to choose between.

Multiplayer: If you plan to get into Halo XBL multiplayer, Halo 1 won't do you any good as it was before XBL, though you can do local or LAN multiplayer (and it's awesome). CEA features Anniversary Classic. It runs on the Reach engine, but has specific settings to emulate the gameplay of Halo 1. It's probably my favorite version of XBL Halo. CEA also has online co-op, which is a lot of fun if you don't have somebody to play with locally.

Campaign: Both games have the same campaign. Halo 1 does have occasional framerate drops when played on the 360, but it works perfectly fine on the OG Xbox.

Graphics: CEA of course has enhanced graphics and is in full HD (though Halo 1 scales up to 720p on the 360). CEA can also switch between classic and enhanced graphics, which is cool. I actually prefer the classic graphics in many areas, though, because the enhanced graphics have some issues. For example, in many areas that were originally dark and creepy, CEA has considerably brightened it up, which causes the original feel to be lost. Also, CEA simply overlays the new graphics onto the classic levels, which is problematic at times because the textures don't exactly line up. Sometimes while playing on the enhanced graphics, you'll think you're behind cover but continue to be hit by enemy fire. If you switch to classic, you'll see it's because the rock or wall you were hiding behind is actually a foot or two shorter/smaller than what you thought.

Achievements: Of course, CEA has achievements. If you're into that, they're pretty well done and fun to go after (though they can be a little glitchy).

Miscellaneous: CEA also has weird issues with its save functionality and its syncing to Waypoint. Just make sure you play it through on the same console w/o moving your save file around or bringing it to a friend's house on a flash drive or something, and you should be fine. I had problems when trying to move my save between two different consoles.

Anyway, that's all I can think of off the top of my head. If I remember anything else I'll post.
---
Halo 1 LAN vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjWnJU2EKY
#3fiasco86Posted 5/24/2013 9:53:56 AM
Oh, just remembered, the sounds of CEA are much deeper and satisfying than those of the original. Apparently they re-recorded the score as well, though I never noticed any significant difference.
---
#4darealest47Posted 5/24/2013 10:02:52 AM
Just get halo CE on a pc. Halo CE pc outclasses all the the halos even halo 2 when it still had xbox live. Don't bother with halo 4.
---
won't change this sig until pittsburgh steelers gets their 7th ring
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVPxvaIzec
#5ssj3bladePosted 5/24/2013 10:10:25 AM
darealest47 posted...
Just get halo CE on a pc. Halo CE pc outclasses all the the halos even halo 2 when it still had xbox live. Don't bother with halo 4.

Don't listen to this party pooper. Get all of the games for console in order and play the Campaign for each through then multiplayer for 4.
---
finalfantastica
#6fiasco86Posted 5/24/2013 10:12:08 AM
darealest47 posted...

Halo PC lags terribly. It also just doesn't have the same Halo feel.
---
#7Faliz18Posted 5/24/2013 4:16:41 PM
Not a popular opinion, but Reach.

It has the best campaign (but haven't played 2 or ODST) IMO and it is the first chronological game.

I'd say for all its problems, 4 has the best gameplay. Really refined and satisfying. Plus, campaign is really well done except for mission 2. Play it on heroic or legendary for the most fun. If you're a multiplayer guy, H4. If campaign, Reach. If both equally, 4.

They are both like 20$ now, though.

I'm not a fan of CEA.
---
PSN/XBL-Faliz18
Awaiting: Mario Wii U, Zelda Wii U, Elder Scrolls 6, Halo 5, Destiny, Arkham Origins, and Retro's project.
#8iRGushPosted 5/24/2013 4:34:08 PM
fiasco86 posted...
I'm the self-proclaimed authority on Halo 1 on this board (I just proclaimed it #DealWithIt). .

listen to this guy he gets sick single snipes in 2v2 ctf's on bloodgulch
---
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
#9Blade_Runner_07Posted 5/24/2013 4:45:32 PM
Halo:CEA effectively replaces the original. You can shut off the new sound and graphics and make it exactly like the original. If you want Halo 1, buy Halo CEA on 360.
#10JaidabeccaPosted 5/25/2013 12:25:27 PM
Faliz18 posted...
I'm not a fan of CEA.

Anything you have ever said or will ever say is now invalid & means less than s***.
---
RE4, REmake, HALO 1 & 3, & other videos here v
http://www.youtube.com/user/Jaidabecca