Was the first level in the campaign supposed to be trolling or something?

#31MoganPosted 6/13/2013 9:17:49 PM
Halo_Forever posted...
I've always liked Halo for the free approach that it had to combat so in that sense those sections were a cardinal sin for me.

I'm playing through the whole series (starting with Reach), I just got to Halo 4 this evening, and I didn't see anything wrong with the opening. In fact, aside from a kind of crap missile/cruiser explosion, I thought it was some of the most compelling Halo yet.
The Dawn level (or whatever it's called) is no more linear than all the indoor/corridor shooting you do in parts of every other Halo game (the openings of both Halo 1 and 2, for example), and the better use of scripting actually allowed the game to create dramatic tension with something other than radio chatter for once. And I never expected the whole game to be linear, scripted shooting, because running around inside a space ship shooting aliens is nothing new for a Halo game.

And it looks like I was right, because now I'm down on a planet shooting aliens in big open areas again. The whole thing feels like Halo to me.
---
"I can't buy a pack of smokes without running into 9 guys you've ****ed!"
#32kqpytnmsdPosted 6/14/2013 1:33:17 AM
There's also this "Do not leave the battle field or you'll die" thing going on in the campaign. In the past Halo titles exploration and the complete sense of freedom really defined Halo single player so I was very disappointed with the do not leave the battle field system.

It also breaks the immersion of campaign imo.
#33MoganPosted 6/14/2013 7:55:33 AM
^I don't know if I ever felt any sense of exploration in a Halo game before. It's not like there's anything to do if you don't keep moving forward, and other than just walking around the larger open combat areas, there's not much to see outside of what the game puts in front of you.
---
#34Urdnot_RuntPosted 6/14/2013 11:48:31 AM
Halo: CE and Halo 2 had multiple paths and multiple ways to beat levels. The doors didn't just close behind you and funnel you into a fixed direction. You could backtrack back through the whole level if you wanted to and the guns you left behind would be there. Actually felt like you were participating in a big interactive environment.

Halo 4 has none of that. You kill the baddies, the door shuts behind you and it's on the the next scripted set piece. In that regard Halo 4 has more in common with old side scroller games than the FPS games of the late 90's and early 2000's.

If this game came out in 2001 then the last level would have been a giant interactive maze where every teleporter would have taken you to a different part of the level to solve a different piece of the puzzle. Then it unlocks a main portal that takes you closer to the confrontation with the Didact.

But it came out in 2012, where graphics are apparently the most important aspect of a game, so we get to move linearly, from one setpiece to the next with no ability to backtrack or explore at all.
---
You have one or more unread System Notifications. Please read them as soon as possible
^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf5VFKplzw
#35Urdnot_RuntPosted 6/14/2013 11:59:36 AM
And the climb scene would have been great if after the two visual cues telling you which way to go, you were then on your own and it became a challenging section where you had to keep dodging debris while making your way up the wall.

But as it is, it's just a lame attempt at making a game *look* better than it is through QTE's
---
You have one or more unread System Notifications. Please read them as soon as possible
^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf5VFKplzw
#36MoganPosted 6/14/2013 1:35:30 PM
Urdnot_Runt posted...
Halo: CE and Halo 2 had multiple paths and multiple ways to beat levels. The doors didn't just close behind you and funnel you into a fixed direction. You could backtrack back through the whole level if you wanted to and the guns you left behind would be there. Actually felt like you were participating in a big interactive environment.

Ehh ... not really. I mean, yeah, I COULD go trudge back through an empty level and pick up that sniper rifle I dropped 20 minutes ago ... but that would be a boringass trek during which nothing happened. And the only thing approaching multiple paths that I remember in any of the games was the hub city in ODST.

I guess compared to a super tightly scripted game like Call of Duty the Halo series has some flexibility ... but lets be honest here; this isn't Fallout 3, this isn't Stalker or Far Cry or even Crysis. The path in Halo may be wider than in other games, but you spend the whole of the series going the way you're supposed to go and that's it. I'm not saying the series is worse for it, I'm just saying the scripting in Halo 4's opening level fit the series for me because I never felt like Halo was particularly interactive or open as shooters go. Bringing it in to one predefined scripted sequence to create tension or advance the story really doesn't feel any worse than forcing my character down a single narrow hallway, which Halo does all the time.
---
#37MVNeoPosted 6/19/2013 12:44:03 AM
Vegerunks posted...
este914 posted...
hmm.... While it was a notion away from the traditional Halo style I didn't think they did anything wrong.

The fight against the Didact was HORRIBLE The FIRST Halo game to not have a boss fight at the end. And before you call it a boss fight, there was nothing "Boss" about that "fight".

There's only one Halo game that has ever had boss fights and it's Halo 2.
---
http://raptr.com/UNSCleric/about - http://www.last.fm/user/UNSCleric
https://app.halowaypoint.com/en-us/Halo4/UNSCleric/home/
#38Halo_Forever(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2013 7:15:52 AM
Mogan posted...

Ehh ... not really. I mean, yeah, I COULD go trudge back through an empty level and pick up that sniper rifle I dropped 20 minutes ago ... but that would be a boringass trek during which nothing happened. And the only thing approaching multiple paths that I remember in any of the games was the hub city in ODST.

People did things like getting on top of the Cartographer building (and with Shade launching to the ground of Truth and Reconciliation). You could skip large parts of AtoCR and Two Betrayals with some vehicles trickery or jumps (e.g. jumping from the stone bridge over the pyramid to the narrow structure). The latter part of the Halo level (Reunion Tour) is free form while the Silent Cartographer is also free form until you go underground. The swamp area in 343 Guilty Spark is surprisingly large and offers multiple routes other than the self-evident one.

Halo 2 also had some pretty crazy routes like grenade jumping on Cairo Station which allowed you to walk over the entire station, the entire rooftop route in Outskirts (near the Jackal alley, you could fight the entire section from the rooftops).

In Halo Reach many of the levels can be traversed in a manner of ways or routes, e.g. Oni Swordbase can be played as a pincer move rather than a straightforward assault, similarly New Alexandra is quite free in where you can go. Exodus is also fairly interesting with the jetpack.

I guess compared to a super tightly scripted game like Call of Duty the Halo series has some flexibility ... but lets be honest here; this isn't Fallout 3, this isn't Stalker or Far Cry or even Crysis. The path in Halo may be wider than in other games, but you spend the whole of the series going the way you're supposed to go and that's it.

Quickly from my mind example where this doesn't hold:

Halo CE/CEA: Halo, Silent Cartographer
Halo 2: Cairo Station, Outskrits
Halo 3 ODST: Free roam section
Halo Reach: Winter Contingency, Oni Swordbase, New Alexandria
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....