So, can somebody give me some multiplayer tips for a total Halo new guy?

#1UndertakrRIPPosted 7/12/2013 5:30:33 PM
Multiplayer wise, I think I've played maybe 4 matches my whole life before today, so I have pretty much no experience.

I just picked up Halo: Reach and want to get into some multiplayer. And I get mercilessly slaughtered every game.

Anybody got some quick tips on how to get better and some tricks that can help me not suck so much?
---
http://i.imgur.com/AVKQY.gif http://i.imgur.com/wPzse4z.gif
http://i.imgur.com/vaJAe.gif http://i.imgur.com/C5TRO.gif
#2COG_KillaPosted 7/12/2013 5:38:08 PM
use scoped weapons, don't just run in a straight line at the person you're shooting, learn how to strafe, don't jump too much, don't bum rush a dude to try to get a melee kill in, if you see a power weapon dropped on the ground, use it

After that, Halo become more about thinking on the spot rather than pure skill with the controller. But I couldn't tell you about that since I absolutely suck at this game.
---
Eeehhhh I don't really like to play with others.
#3Paper_Mario_4Posted 7/12/2013 6:07:09 PM
Git in the hog,GET IN NOW! VRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMM *SCRRRRRRRRRRRR*
#4__balePosted 7/12/2013 10:02:51 PM(edited)
there is literally nothing you can do at all except play more. you have to get an intuitive feel for the game, you must understand the physics, the weapons, the controls, the maps, the ****ing joysticks so you can aim. you must know these things somewhat well before you can begin to ask questions like 'how can i get better'? if someone comes up to you and says 'ive played like one game of chess when i was 7, i'd like to learn to play chess now, can someone give me some tips to make me play better?' no, i cannot, you do not know that the big tall piece is the queen, i cannot give you effective opening start strategies at the moment. as they say, you gotta crawl before you can walk, and brah you barely even have legs
---
wow strafing tryhards, i always stand still so the bullets can hit me. Whenever someone trys to dodge my shots i know they're a virgin LMAO
#5bd0g5Posted 7/12/2013 11:23:25 PM
I'd use the BR as much as I can, I was awful at halo 3 until I stopped AR rushing. but yeah, just play
---
OOOH LAWD JESUS OH JESUS GET DA WATER *****! IT GOING DOWN! DEM MOTHER******* BOOTLEG FIREWORK ****! OH ****! wooo
#6DvoloS88Posted 7/13/2013 7:09:03 AM
bd0g5 posted...
I'd use the BR as much as I can, I was awful at halo 3 until I stopped AR rushing. but yeah, just play

Lol same here, I was just so sick of the br after halo 2 so halo 3 I just attempted Ar against br every encounter. So I was terrible in the beginning of H3. Bungies fault for bringing back the original halo primary gun as a PoS!
---
I troll the trolls...
#7DvoloS88Posted 7/13/2013 7:12:20 AM
UndertakrRIP posted...
Multiplayer wise, I think I've played maybe 4 matches my whole life before today, so I have pretty much no experience.

I just picked up Halo: Reach and want to get into some multiplayer. And I get mercilessly slaughtered every game.

Anybody got some quick tips on how to get better and some tricks that can help me not suck so much?

Study and master Frags bounce and detonation time.
Aim for that head.
Use RIFLES, halo mp has been all about the rifle/rifles since halo 2.
---
I troll the trolls...
#8ItsRageFacePosted 7/13/2013 8:02:42 AM
Keep your sensitivity down low. I learned that the hard way.

Surround yourself with better players.

Don't take it too seriously. It's just a game and should be treated as such. If you get too worried about it, you'll naturally do worse and not enjoy yourself. Another lesson I learned the hard way.

Develop a stutter-step, and do not jump when in a duel. Yet another lesson I learned the hard way.

Don't let canadia out br you while one-shot.

F*** 1v1s, just get good at being a team player

that's all stuff I've learned from experience. Hope it helps
#9ThunderCavalierPosted 7/13/2013 8:51:54 AM
Never use automatic weapons that aren't the SAW.

The Assault Rifle? The Storm Rifle? The Suppressor. They don't exist.

Always go with BR, DMR, Carbine, or Light Rifle, depending on your preference and the map. DMR and Light Rifle are good at long range, while BR and Carbine allow more versatility, but dominate at mid- and close-range.

Either learn how to use vehicles or don't use them. If you're in a game where you're absolutely dominating, go ahead and take the Banshee for a spin and learn how it works. However, if it's a close game, don't be the idiot that takes the Banshee and explodes five seconds later. The same goes for specialized power weapons like the Sniper. Shotty and Rockets are exempt from this, mainly because you'd have to be missing a chromosome to not know how to use them properly.

Pay attention to the map, more specifically where power weapons spawn and where players tend to gravitate. It's never a good idea, for instance, to rush the center base in Exile if you don't control it, or to run down the hill to the enemy base in Ragnarok.

That's all I can think of, at any rate.
---
This sig will self-destruct in 3.... 2.... 1.... Thank you for your time. Cookie? ^_^
#10COG_KillaPosted 7/13/2013 12:06:44 PM
this is the most helpful i've seen this board get.

I love you guys *brotear*
---
Mr. Fish is pretty damn awesome, but I would never spend a lot of money on him so I could play laser tag.