So this is a game about saving your waifu?

#1TakuruPosted 8/14/2013 4:19:30 PM(edited)
No spoilers.

Master Chief, this supposedly emotionless super solider, is putting the entire universe at risk to try to find a way to fix his almost decade old sexy AI computer program? In which is easily replaceable with a newe model tha isn't as dangerously moody as Cortana is?

I never played Halo 1, is there a specific reason why Master Chief likes Cortana so much? Did Halo 1 explain where he got her from and why he is so attached to her? They have almost a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, hence the "waifu" title.
---
http://i.imgur.com/9AvZxtP.gif http://i.imgur.com/a9ed5xF.gif
#2COG_KillaPosted 8/14/2013 4:59:01 PM
spoiler free quote:

Chief: "Our duty, as soldiers, is to protect humanity."

???: "You say that like soldiers and humanity are two different things. Soldiers aren't machines."

*Chief gives a surprised head-turn towards ???*

One of the points of the story was to prove that chief wasn't just a machine. Yes, the relationship between chief and Cortana is a little creepy, but she's more than just some program, she has individuality and feelings. A simple program doesn't have problems being deleted. but you can tell Cortana doesn't want to "die".
---
Proud supporter of the Halo 4 GameFAQs board. Yes, even Rageface.
#3Drag_ZEROPosted 8/14/2013 5:07:03 PM
They're like best friends. They have been together since he was in training, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It would be hard NOT to bond.
---
One of these days, Valve will confirm Half-Life 3, but nobody will believe them and assume its another ruse.
#4Takuru(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2013 5:26:24 PM
Drag_ZERO posted...
They're like best friends. They have been together since he was in training, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It would be hard NOT to bond.

But he's spent his entire life learning to not bond to anyone. He never bonded with Sarge even though they went through alot together.

It's just surprising to me that he's so attached to an AI program considering his personality. He risks the lives of everyone on the Infinity just to give her a tune up.
---
http://i.imgur.com/9AvZxtP.gif http://i.imgur.com/a9ed5xF.gif
#5COG_KillaPosted 8/14/2013 7:26:15 PM(edited)
Yeah, he spent all that time learning, but he's still human. He's still got the emotions that every human has, despite all of that conditioning.

Didn't you see Johnson's death (r.i.p. epic black dude) in Halo 3? It's completely obvious that Chief considered Johnson as one of his friends.

SPOILZ:
Actually, in retrospect, his last words may have something to do with how chief takes losing cortana. Very interesting.
---
Official Founder of the Unofficial Iderivedx fanclub. Members: 1
#6Doofe_2012Posted 8/14/2013 8:16:31 PM
Master Chief isn't emotionless. He just manages to hide his feelings enough so as not to, for example, make regular soldiers panic by giving away his own fear. He still feels all these things normal people do, maybe to a lesser extent, of course, due to his upbringing. You may have had to read the books to know this, but it's true. Chief isn't a robot.

That said, saving Cortana was only ever a secondary objective. You'll notice Chief has no problem inserting Cortana's chip into the freaking Didact's ship so she can weaken its systems, as dangerous as it might be (and ends up being, since the ship dissolves the terminal and her chip). In addition to that, saving Cortana isn't just about the bond of friendship (and maybe more, as you say) they've developed over the years. She's a powerful asset to him and the UNSC. It doesn't need to be said all the things Chief has done because of Cortana's aid.
---
GT: ColossusCHD, playing Halo 4, ME3, BO2
I take my coffee black, like my men.
#7Azrael0206Posted 8/14/2013 8:39:35 PM
Doofe_2012 posted...
Master Chief isn't emotionless. He just manages to hide his feelings enough so as not to, for example, make regular soldiers panic by giving away his own fear. He still feels all these things normal people do, maybe to a lesser extent, of course, due to his upbringing. You may have had to read the books to know this, but it's true. Chief isn't a robot.

That said, saving Cortana was only ever a secondary objective. You'll notice Chief has no problem inserting Cortana's chip into the freaking Didact's ship so she can weaken its systems, as dangerous as it might be (and ends up being, since the ship dissolves the terminal and her chip). In addition to that, saving Cortana isn't just about the bond of friendship (and maybe more, as you say) they've developed over the years. She's a powerful asset to him and the UNSC. It doesn't need to be said all the things Chief has done because of Cortana's aid.

^^^
He states it was his duty to protect her. TC either didnt pay attention or just wants to rustle jimmies.
MC even chooses to Go after the Didact against the chain of command. If he had listened to Del Rio's orders Cortana would've been more likely to be saved. So, no, he didn't choose Cortana over humanity. He did what was right as a soldier.
---
Assistant Manager at Foveroula and Acid's Pawn Shop
"If it helps you understand, I am forever years old"
#8Urdnot_RuntPosted 8/15/2013 8:42:33 AM(edited)
^yupp

And it's not like Chief broke down and cried over it.

It's just little character development that cleverly plays on Chief's lack of character making that his defining character trait, as well as shining the spotlight on what being a Spartan does to somebody, which is a theme that runs through the whole series.

When you play the game, you take on the role of chief. Most halo players who have been playing since Halo CE came out probably have some some affinity for Cortana as a character, so it makes sense that the chief should mirror those emotions both from the standpoint of being able to relate to the main character as well as Cortana being the closest thing to a strong mutually beneficial bond he's ever had.

Even so, chief remains the silent, stoic warrior we've come to know him as. He didn't start crying or have a breakdown, he did what he had to do and dealt with the consequences like we would expect him to.
---
You have one or more unread System Notifications. Please read them as soon as possible
^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf5VFKplzw
#9Ruins FatePosted 8/15/2013 11:51:17 AM
Always bet Waifu.
Always bet Hitbox.
Never bet DBZ.
Always bet DBZ.

Waifu PLZ BibleThump
---
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
#10fiasco86Posted 8/15/2013 12:30:56 PM
Drag_ZERO posted...
They're like best friends. They have been together since he was in training, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

False. Been with her since shortly before the events of Halo 1.
---
Game Conquerors Top 100 Games of All Time
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBdvbVOHRybalW-7GExzgqbbBf1bGVV3L