How would you feel about a more open, less linear Halo campaign?

#1Urdnot_RuntPosted 8/27/2013 11:11:15 AM(edited)
The "Halo 5 Details" topic got me thinking: Regardless of the accuracy of the "article", how would you feel about a halo campaign where you can choose which areas you go to and in what order, and you complete different objectives within the levels that tie into overarching meta-game?

Remember in the level "Halo" in Halo: CE? The map was open and you completed the objectives in the order you chose, and along the way you saw some sights(that were jaw-dropping for the time), explored interesting spaces and triggered dialogue that further fleshed out the plot.

One interesting thing is that depending on the way you completed the level, or if you managed to save any marines, cortana's dialogue would change. So what if they went back to that and ran with it, applying it to the individual missions and then taking it a step further and making the results of the missions tie into the meta-game as a whole? Thoughts?
---
You have one or more unread System Notifications. Please read them as soon as possible
^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf5VFKplzw
#2Faliz18Posted 8/27/2013 12:40:07 PM
I'm not asking for a sandbox but CE nailed the openness. The Silent Cartogropher should be the model to follow for Halo levels.
---
PSN- Faliz XBL-Faliz18
Anticipating Halo 5, Zelda Wii U, Elder Scrolls VI, Destiny, Dark Souls II
#3Paper_Mario_4Posted 8/27/2013 1:06:17 PM
It doesn't need to be open. The more fun the enemies are and the more diverse the enemies are, the better if we are guided on a strict path. Just make it to where the environments are dangerous and something new happens each and every scene. H4 campaign sucks btw.
#4Doofe_2012Posted 8/27/2013 4:48:50 PM
I'd like it to be. You only need linearity when the campaign is heavily character-driven and story-centric, like Mass Effect, for example. Halo is and always will be about fun combat, and making the campaign and even levels more open would only add variety and replayability to that.
---
GT: ColossusCHD, playing Halo 4, ME3, BO2, DA2, DA:O, Civ 5
I make it rain on them h**s.
#5Ace_of_DuskPosted 8/27/2013 7:27:07 PM
I didn't appreciate how Cortana dies. It really marked something that can't be fixed and the didacts also gone so now who's the enemy. Either way an open world Halo would be very welcomed and awesome.
---
"MAN I LOVE THE CORPS!"- Sgt. Apone
XBL GT: Ace of Dusk
#6Ace_of_DuskPosted 8/27/2013 7:29:32 PM
Faliz18 posted...
I'm not asking for a sandbox but CE nailed the openness. The Silent Cartogropher should be the model to follow for Halo levels.

You my good sir deserve a giant medal with a bunch of stickers on it.
---
"MAN I LOVE THE CORPS!"- Sgt. Apone
XBL GT: Ace of Dusk
#7ThunderCavalierPosted 8/27/2013 10:26:49 PM
I think Halo still benefits from having a rigid level structure where you go from level to level, but more stuff like Silent Cartographer would be welcome.

Honestly, Halo 5's campaign would be infinitely improved if they just never bring back the Prometheans. They make the Flood fun to fight.
---
This sig will self-destruct in 3.... 2.... 1.... Thank you for your time. Cookie? ^_^
#8AgentX7kPosted 8/28/2013 8:44:41 PM
Faliz18 posted...

Exactly this. I also liked the Scarab battles and how there were different ways to taking them down (knee-capping or flying ontop them with a banshee or mongoose)
#9COG_KillaPosted 8/28/2013 9:23:37 PM
The only reasons I ever liked any halo campaign were the music, the easter eggs and funny quotes, and Avery "Mutha****in'" Johnson. That nickname is literal. You can be for damn certain that he broke down the fourth wall and banged everyone's mom. I, for one, hope that my mom didn't do anything to ruin for him.

Since he's dead, I just want a decent multiplayer.
---
Proud supporter of the Halo 4 GameFAQs board. Yes, even Rageface.
#10Dark_JinougaPosted 8/29/2013 5:56:43 AM
I liked this campaign... though im no Halo vet, it was WAAAAY better than a cod or BF campaign, and beating it on legendary was a challenge
---
Monster Hunter <3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxpwABDCxOU