are Turtle Beach X12's worth buying for $35 to play HALO with?

#1Kpt_KapowskiPosted 11/18/2013 8:33:55 AM
Need a gaming headset, but I don't play online enough to justify dropping much more than that.

also, I've been reading reviews and setup guides, and it seems like everyone disagrees about using them with HDMI. Will they or won't they work with HDMI? I don't want to go back to component cables :/
---
Its my own private pinewood Taj Mahal, except for the shape and the size.
lol GameFASCISM
#2elitewarrior500Posted 11/18/2013 10:56:48 AM
better off just spending 100 and get the siberia V2 cross platform
---
GT: LegendaryFalco
oh ok
#3Kpt_Kapowski(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2013 11:22:56 AM
Actually, I'm better off not spending $100 on a headset I will rarely use.
---
lol GameFASCISM
#4__balePosted 11/18/2013 11:28:50 AM(edited)
in my opinion it is definitely not worth it at all. if you're gonna get a headset, get a good one. cheap ones give you what you pay for. they are uncomfortable, they break VERY easily (i went through like 3 pairs of turtle beaches and i've never broken any other electronic thing ive ever had.. ever. i have an original xbox 360 still even...), the sound quality is hardly better than your TV's speakers. overally they just suck.

but, do you have a nice headset to listen to music to? if you care about that, I would really get the Steel Series Siberia v2. I got mine for 70 bucks (includes the headset + a mixamp thing, not nearly as nice as Astro's though). im sure you could find a deal some time if you waited (christmas is coming..) to pick up the siberia for around 70. you would pay twice as much as for a turtle beach x12 but get 10x the quality plus you can reasonably listen to music with them. they dont have long, entangled cords like the turtle beach's, plus they are very comfortable and last forever. Mine just died recently after about 3 years, so I got plenty of use out of them (versus literally about 3 months, on average, for my turtle beach's).

so yeah, dont get the x12's imo. save up and get a siberia v2, if you think the money is worth it + if you need some general music headphones, they are awesome.

tldr x 12 suck noob dont get them get siberia if u have 70$
---
wow strafing tryhards, i always stand still so the bullets can hit me. Whenever someone trys to dodge my shots i know they're a virgin LMAO
#5Kpt_Kapowski(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2013 11:48:21 AM
Lol amazon has them for $60 right now. If the quality is that much better I wouldn't mind an extra $25.

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Siberia-Full-Size-Gaming-Headset/dp/B002Q8IHDQ

but will they work with HDMI?
---
lol GameFASCISM
#6__balePosted 11/18/2013 11:58:28 AM
Yes, but you will need to buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Spectrum-Audio-Mixer-Xbox-360/dp/B004BK45CO/ref=pd_sim_e_3

regardless of playing HDMI/component/VGA etc. if you want the mic to work. The headset itself will work without the audio mixer, as you can just plug the headset directly into your TV's headphone jack (I would assume your TV has one of those? every TV I've ever gamed on has had one). the mic needs a mixer like the one I linked you to to function though.
---
wow strafing tryhards, i always stand still so the bullets can hit me. Whenever someone trys to dodge my shots i know they're a virgin LMAO
#7Kpt_Kapowski(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2013 12:29:11 PM
Welp, my newer, bigger, tv does not have a headphone jack. My older one does, but its old and the picture is terrible (even @ 1080p or whatever). It would be inconvenient to move my box every time I wanted to game online.

damn.

without the headphone jack on the tv, what would I need?

I've got the extra adapter dongle in this vid: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h35PN1WQgiI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dh35PN1WQgiI
---
lol GameFASCISM
#8__balePosted 11/18/2013 12:44:31 PM
if you buy that mixer thing, that will work to use your headset as well, as you can see in the images theres a green and pink inputs on the mixer, you'll just plug your headset into those and youll be good to go. if you buy that, your headset should work on any TV with any normal inputs.
---
#9Kpt_Kapowski(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2013 12:47:45 PM
Cool thanks brah
---
lol GameFASCISM
#10aHungee_YuropeePosted 11/18/2013 12:48:35 PM
Kpt_Kapowski posted...
Welp, my newer, bigger, tv does not have a headphone jack. My older one does, but its old and the picture is terrible (even @ 1080p or whatever). It would be inconvenient to move my box every time I wanted to game online.

damn.

without the headphone jack on the tv, what would I need?

I've got the extra adapter dongle in this vid: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h35PN1WQgiI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dh35PN1WQgiI

Get the mixamp like bale was saying and everything is connected through your xbox, not your TV.

I had 2 sets of X11/12s and each lasted about 8 months. The sound was ok when it worked, but I literally had to constantly have my foot on one a certain part of the cable to get any sound after a couple of months of use. Use Siberia v2s now (with astro mixamp) and it is honestly so much better.