Anyone else have trouble following the story?

#21AngelsNAirwav3sPosted 4/2/2014 2:36:49 PM
EDarien posted...

Pretty accurate, the Precursors did pick Humanity to inherit the Mantle, so the Forerunner went on a massive campaign and wiped them out. The Flood was one form of revenge that the Precursors created, but this was all long forgotten by the time the Didact was born. The humans did invade Forerunner space to invade the flood, and the Didact distinguished himself as the most brilliant Forerunner commander in recent memory. Unfortunately the Didact was basically forced into hibernation after the war due to political differences with the Forerunner leader. The Human/Forerunner war was the most difficult war the Forerunner had fought (until the Flood show up again), and the Didact lead the Forerunner forces, so obviously some deep emotional scars were created as the Didact watched Humanity slaughter so many of his kinsman. The Didact and the Master Builder (Forerunner President) did not get along, and the Didact was forced into hibernation due to their political differences.

Fast forward 10,000 years, and the Didact is revived from hibernation to help fight the Flood, who have been kicking the Forerunners asses for the last couple hundred years. The Didact basically imprints a copy of himself onto the young Forerunner Bornstellar, since he knows he will be captured very soon by the Master Builder. Bornstellar slowly transforms into a fusion between him and the Didact. The Bornstellar Didact is the Didact we read about in the Halo 3 Terminals, he becomes the Supreme Commander of the Forerunner against the Flood, and fires his new Halo rings when it is obvious that the Forerunner have absolutely no other shot at victory.

The Original Didact is captured by the Master Builder, and is left for dead in a Flood infested system. The Gravemind tortures the Didact rather than turn him, driving the Didact mad. He then releases the Didact to return to the Forerunner, basically to cause havoc through his madness. This is the Didact we see in Halo 4, he becomes convinced that he needs an army of machines to stop the Flood, and almost destroys all the Librarian's plans for survival by Composing all her Humans. The Librarian stops him, and forces him once again into hibernation.

However this time the hibernation is different. In his previous hibernation, the Didact remained in contact with basically the Forerunner internet, allowing him to meditate peacefully and expand his knowledge. His next hibernation, however, the Forerunner internet is destroyed when the Halos fire. The Didact is completely isolated, basically left to stew in his own thoughts for 100,000 years. This long isolation made the Didact even more bat s*** crazy. When the Didact finally woke up, he saw that the greatest enemy he had ever faced, Humanity (this Didact never really fought the Flood), was now ruling the Galaxy, and his Forerunner were completely extinct. He was pissed.
---
God bless the sad and selfless. Stay helpless. Cause I've always been stronger than that, hold the weight of the world on my back. Love, Selfish Love.
#22ZBug_Posted 4/2/2014 7:59:47 PM
Kpt_Kapowski posted...
^ nerd

Is nearly everyone on this board this immature?
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" - Light Yagami
NNID: LLBCrook - PSN: ZBugCrook
#23bd0g5Posted 4/2/2014 8:04:05 PM
ZBug_ posted...
Kpt_Kapowski posted...
^ nerd

u wot m8 if ur going 2 talk **** do it to my face m8 i swear on me mum i am going to hit u in the gabber i am
---
OOOH LAWD JESUS OH JESUS GET DA WATER *****! IT GOING DOWN! DEM MOTHER******* BOOTLEG FIREWORK ****! OH ****! wooo
#24Kpt_KapowskiPosted 4/2/2014 8:39:38 PM
ZBug_ posted...
Kpt_Kapowski posted...
^ nerd

are all randoms this humorless?
---
http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2014/01/05/EddieLacyBig.gif
Love is no fun with protection
#25este914Posted 4/3/2014 5:53:37 AM
I am confused now
---
~-> este914 <-~
Mind Over Matter.
#26GotThat415SwagPosted 4/3/2014 12:44:47 PM(edited)
Do we really need to say "spoilers" when discussing old halo games? We've had well over a year to beat Halo 4, and between 4-13 years to beat every other game in the series. I think the statute of limitations is over, if you're still worried about spoilers why would you even open a topic discussing the plot?
---
Communicating with other gamers is like being at a glory hole. Everyone's either angry, confused, or only came here to suck.
#27aHungee_YuropeePosted 4/3/2014 4:14:18 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#28Mister_LintonPosted 4/8/2014 9:34:00 AM
Wow, this single topic has just about doubled my ignore list...

On-topic: I didn't have trouble following the plot of H4; but maybe the circumstances of how you were playing the campaign affected your comprehension (ie sometimes it is hard to follow stories when in co-op, cut scenes get skipped, chatting over plot points, etc.).
#29iRGushPosted 4/8/2014 10:06:20 AM
Mister_Linton posted...

wow dude u get them, sure showed these BULLIES whos boss +rep
---
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
#30EDarienPosted 4/8/2014 1:49:44 PM
Mister_Linton posted...

On-topic: I didn't have trouble following the plot of H4; but maybe the circumstances of how you were playing the campaign affected your comprehension (ie sometimes it is hard to follow stories when in co-op, cut scenes get skipped, chatting over plot points, etc.).

It's not the direct plot of the game, the "why are we doing this?" part that's tricky. It's all the rest of the Halo lore that's just combo dumped and ignored throughout. For instance we know the Didact is bad and somehow has lived since the Forerunner's time. But why? Who is he? All we get is that him and the Librarian had opposing viewpoints from the in-game story. There's a LOT more to it than that, however. And Halo has never been good at incorporating the cooler parts of its story into the games. This game had more of a "why" and storyline to it than the previous Halo games where it's just "We're at war so ... yeah," but it also was wonky seemed rushed at various points, etc. So the story was really good, Rampancy, Forerunner history/villain, new Spartan projects, Halsey's importance to things ... but it's all rather mish-mashed and thrown at you. I don't think the story itself was hard for many, if anyone, to follow, but it's the way it's told and with the assumption that you already read the books in order to introduce the villain it does, which I think are being addressed. If nothing else, perhaps to improve the delivery of Halo 5's storyline.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14