Need advice from the awesome players

#1GamingAddict83Posted 5/5/2012 6:16:48 PM
I never thought it would happen but I finally golded all the extremes (I broke my controller accidentally when I jumped off the couch after getting Inferno FINALLY). My question is, how do you take it to the next level to where you can get platinums? Do you practice over and over or watch replays or make extreme "exercise" tracks? Any advice would be appreciated :)

On the other hand, maybe you just need to be that good naturally, like Beastwood5 who has 0 faulted every track :(
---
Disobedience, in the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man's original virtue.
#2squeeb1985Posted 5/5/2012 7:58:47 PM
Woo, I was mentioned!

Anyway, in Trails HD I just looked at my leaderboard rank on each track and tried to improve the lowest. It can help to watch some replays of people around rank 500 on the track (because the top people on each track usually do crazy s***) and try to copy them. I also used the editor to practice some bunny hopping and landing on slanted surfaces, as well as some other techniques such as landing on your front wheel after a vertical jump while rotating forward and having your brake on in order to get onto ledges.
---
GT: Beastwood5
#3lwoody117Posted 5/5/2012 8:11:59 PM
He's hit the nail on the head there, though I can't say I've ever been in the editor to practice.
I tend to watch replays and if I get stuck at a point, keep retrying it (Even if you get past it) until I get s good method for it.
---
In general my game ID is Lwoody117 (PSN, XBL and Steam)
#4ManoftarkPosted 5/5/2012 10:19:23 PM
lwoody is right.

After hours and hours of playing, you become aware of the way the bike needs to be launched, and the way it needs to land in order to get past many obstacles. Practicing the same obstacle over and over, even if you get past it, is the way you learn to get past that specific obstacle. There are however, two obstacles that I can never be consistent on. Those obstacles are the triple boxes on Way of the Ninja and the ramp just past the triple pallets on Inferno 3.

Just over a week ago, I was in your shoes, just happy to finally get all golds and my 100% completion. 35 faults Way of the Ninja seemed extremely far out of reach until you spend hours with the course. It was the last course I needed to Platinum, but I still get around 10 faults on a casual run. I can get up to 15 faults if my luck on the triple boxes is poor. Getting platinums is more than learning how to do each obstacle, because I've learned them. I can probably do every obstacle on my 1st or 2nd try now, but I can't do every obstacle every time. You still need to get extremely lucky, and have some steel nerves. I can't tell you how many times I choked after the triple boxes on the dumbest, easiest obstacles in the course.

The only true answer is hours and hours of practice. Eventually, the physics will begin to flow and obstacles you once thought were extremely hard will become very easy.
---
DDR Extreme 1/2 Extreme AAA'ed Club: 190 AAA's
Guitar Hero Retiree: 43 GH2 FC's, 66 GH3 FC's, GH:VH - Eruption XGuitar FC
#5squeeb1985Posted 5/5/2012 10:56:16 PM

I tend to watch replays and if I get stuck at a point, keep retrying it (Even if you get past it) until I get s good method for it.

Not sure how I forgot to mention this, but this helps getting your fault count down A LOT. For example, once I figured out the last two hard obstacles on The Wreck (the barrel and the box), then I got a fairly fast platinum run in 15 minutes because I could do them consistently.
---
GT: Beastwood5
#6GamingAddict83(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2012 1:54:26 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, guess I'll keep working on it. Beastwood5, you're always the dot that I can't catch up to lol, whenever I can't figure out a fast way over an obstacle I watch you replay haha
---
Disobedience, in the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man's original virtue.
#7GamingAddict83(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2012 1:56:03 AM
*your replay, damn iPod
---
#8Super_TomPosted 5/7/2012 3:13:23 AM
I use other peoples replays to race against, but not the world records. Look at what the gold/platinum time is that you need. Go to the leaderboard and find a replay close to that time and race it. It gives you a great indication of where you can pick up speed and whether or not you're on target for the desired medal.
---
()
#9SzurkuletPosted 5/7/2012 4:09:44 AM
Great advice here. It's cool to see my method of improving on lowest ranked times and racing ghosts about equal to medals is shared also.
---
What a charming prospect - the offer of oral copulation in exchange for pizza. If only the battle of Trafalgar was won in such a fashion. - Matt Berry/Snuff Box
#10CyberwrathPosted 5/7/2012 8:29:42 PM
It's basically about breaking down each obstacle individually. Practice the safest and most consistent methods for each one and everything will begin to feel natural. With enough practice, you'll eventually have a run where you hit everything first try. Try to finish most of the attempts, and don't just quit out if you fail in the middle of a good run. It's best to build up skill at the later obstacles too so you don't choke as bad when you get really far in a real run.

Especially when you get to the extreme levels, once you can get it down to 1 or 2 faults, you'll basically be able to zero fault it on a lucky run where everything goes right. Usually time isn't an issue on the harder levels for platinum, it's just not screwing up!