Should SNK try that art style with Samurai Spirits/Shodown 7 ?

#1RollerBobPosted 10/13/2012 1:54:24 PM
Should SNK release Samurai Spirits/Shodown 7 with the same art style as KOF 12 and 13 ? That would be nice to see. However, since they'll likely have to start with a small roster, I'd like them to pick the fan favorite characters first, and then for SS8, adding characters from there. By "fan favorite characters", I mean characters like:
- Haohmaru
- Nakoruru
- Genjuro
- Charlotte
- Galford
- Hanzo
- Jubei
- Cham Cham
- Ihora
- Andrew
- Ukyo
- Basara
- Kyoshiro
- Yoshiitora
- Kazuki
- Rimururu

That's 16 fan favorites (I think)... add 4 new ones, and you've got a 20-character roster, with isn't too shabby... and the same number as KOF 12. However, most of the roster would made of popular characters, which could be a good selling point. Now add mecanics combining SS6 and KOF13, training, challenges, online, story, arcade, intros & endings, and you've got a good revival title for the series.
---
Yes, I'm Canadian. Yes, I speak french. Yes, I live in Quebec.
#2chiefofsb78Posted 10/13/2012 7:48:42 PM
Samurai Spirits/Shodown 7 was released years ago called Samurai Shodown Sen
but a new one most likely not ill be surprised if we ever get another KOF
another SS would be cool but i rather have another Garou MOTW
#3Neoprime616Posted 10/13/2012 7:50:14 PM
Yes, but another direction than KoF and maybe a all new cast instead of the same.
#4RollerBob(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2012 9:15:42 AM
chiefofsb78 posted...
Samurai Spirits/Shodown 7 was released years ago called Samurai Shodown Sen
but a new one most likely not ill be surprised if we ever get another KOF
another SS would be cool but i rather have another Garou MOTW

Huh... when/where did SNK state that Sen was SS7, sounds more like a spin-off or sidestory than the real thing. As for Garou... I'm afraid that it's now merged with KoF now.

Neoprime616 posted...
Yes, but another direction than KoF and maybe a all new cast instead of the same.

I wouldn't mind a new art style, like a style that mimics japanses ink painting, but I meant to stick to HD 2D sprites like KoF 12/13.

Changing the entire cast can be a major problem. Street Fighter 3 had a completely new roster, but fans, after loketesting, complained about the lack of favorites. That's how/why we have Ryu and Ken in New Generation, because fans demanded it. KoF XII had that same problem with too many missing favorite characters. That's why I listed what I think are the favorite/most iconic characters of the series. If they start "anew" with the most popular characters first, it will give the series and SNK an edge on the new direction.
---
#5thesolidsharkPosted 10/14/2012 6:22:18 PM
This could work, though I'd hope the spritework isn't exactly the same as the way KOF XIII's was done. Pretty as that could be, I'd still like distinguishing factors between the two.

Fan favorites are a good idea, but I think most of the known cast should reappear, with around the same # of newcomers SS5 had (maybe 5 new fighters), and like Garou, make the cast show their age a little, like and older Haohmaru, Genjuro, etc. while Shizumaru is the new lead.
---
"You interfered with a well-laid plan."
"Yeah, well you can stick you well-laid plan up your well-laid a**"
#6RollerBob(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2012 6:20:56 PM
thesolidshark posted...
This could work, though I'd hope the spritework isn't exactly the same as the way KOF XIII's was done. Pretty as that could be, I'd still like distinguishing factors between the two.

Yeah, come to think of it, my title is slightly misleading, my bad ^^; I meant same "gameplay style" instead...

Like I said, they should make it so the sprites look like they came out of a Japanese painting, like Okami.

thesolidshark posted...
Fan favorites are a good idea, but I think most of the known cast should reappear, with around the same # of newcomers SS5 had (maybe 5 new fighters), and like Garou, make the cast show their age a little, like and older Haohmaru, Genjuro, etc. while Shizumaru is the new lead.

I'd probably missed a few favorites, since the roster got THAT huge in SS6, but shifting the spotlight to someone else is good. The aging is good too, but just a little, like a few grey hairs for Haohmaru and a little more mature look for Nakoruru (^3^).

Fan favorites are not a good idea, they're a must; that's not good or bad, simply mandatory. If SNK wants to bring back SS in 2D with HD graphics, they have to market it with their most iconic characters first. I don't think people will complain about a HD SS game if the roster was only made of the top 16 or top 20 characters from the entire series and add only 4 new characters. I mean, SFIV had more returning characters than new ones, and that didn't tarnished their image... unlike KOF12...
---
#7chiefofsb78Posted 10/16/2012 4:22:53 PM
Samurai Spirits/Shodown 7/Sen is the same game doesnt even matter which one you google your pretty much gonna get the same results its the same game dude
and Garou is merged with KOF LMAO like huh when/where SNK stated that and the merging of the SNK characaters which is KOF happened WAY before Garou so why they bothered to even make Garou and a sequel which got cancelled
there is a much greater chance of a Garou 2 than another SS believe that nice try tho Mr. KOF
#8XevenPosted 11/2/2012 6:02:57 PM
Yes.

Even if they don't, SNK were stupid for not having Examu continue to make Samurai Spirit games. A great idea would have the same cast as Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi and add all of the characters from the 3D games in with them. Huge cast, but it'd be erection worthy.

Instead, we're left with lame Arcana Hearts games. :(
---
http://coolzomb.sitesled.com/
#9Shinobi120Posted 11/6/2012 5:14:45 PM(edited)
Make it as epic as Shin Samurai Spirits: Haohmaru Jigokuhen (Samurai Shodown II), & Samurai Spirits Zero Special (Samurai Shodown V Special), & I'll be all for it.