This topic contains
spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
2 years ago#1
I just have a few things that I don't really like about it but don't take it the wrong way because I really enjoy this game.
1) ghosts have no personality or backstory. the original had random generic ghosts but also had portrait ghosts with a history and sometimes even a dark backstory.
2) Too many lights and brightness. Is this a haunted dark mansion or a well lit normal mansion? In the original every single room you went into was like pitch black and dark the first time and you could barely see anything and could only see by pointing your flashlight around. gave a very very good atmosphere to the game. This game has every room with candles and lights already on.
3) Dust effects. The original had a very cool feature that when you banged or pushed something a dust cloud would come out and you would see dust float in the air. This game has no such feature.
4) Story. I kinda wished that they went with mario getting kidnapped by Boo again and Luigi having to find pieces of the Dark Moon to go fight King Boo and get Mario back. Sort of like how Mario tries to get Peach in every game. I would have liked Luigi looking for Mario being the plot for all Luigi's Mansion games.
5) Too much color. Some of the mansions and rooms feel like a rainbow. the original had lots of dull washed out colors that were done on purpose and not because of hardware limitations. Seeing a brown faded couch and a dull gray desk and faded bathroom wallpaper really helped the creepy atmosphere. Whereas this game has very bright colorful rooms and stuff and I don't exactly like it.
6) First person view. I loved that in the original you could change the camer with the gameboy horror and use first person view and looking around a room and scan objects and get information about them.
7) Cool wtf moments. This game has a few BUT the original had stuff like
8) Not being able to turn your flashlight on and off.
9) Close up of the rusty door you are trying to open or put a key inside and it slowly opens creaking loudly (very RE like)
10) references and tributes to horror games and horror movies. the original had references to the exorcist, rosemary's baby, pet sematary, ghostbusters etc.
11) the Missions and Levels instead of chapters like the original game. its a bit annoying having to exit and re enter the mansion for each mission. Sure having the ability to go to new different mansions is great BUT having multiple missions in each mansion are not as fun as having you enter one mansion and a list of things to do and it saves right after you accomplish a task and you continue doing everything until you finish the mansion and can move on to the next one.
All in all I love this game but these tiny things that were left out or changed could have made the game much better in my opinion.
Hopefully if they ever decide to make a Luigi's Mansion Wii U game they decide to make it closer to the original.
The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.
2 years ago#2
summary of your cons:
"I am not playing the original game!"
I understand that you are in fact enjoying the game but it seems that half the cons you listed are that the original did this or that......
**XBOXLIVE: etrok**PSN: krkorte**3ds: 2208-4982-8644if you add, PM me please
2 years ago#3
summary of your cons:
this. I respect your opinions TC, but many of the things you complain about are very very very minor (dust, lights, etc.). Also, some of them are just wrong. This is a different game, it doesn't want to be the original 2.0, it wants to be unique and it is.
King Boo for Super Smash Bros.
Spread the word, show your support
2 years ago#4
^True, but I also agree with some of his points.
>No ghost backstory: This is part of what made LM so charming, IMO. It was like you uncovered bits and pieces of a dark history behind the place and it made the game so much more in-depth.
>Too many lights on: Back when I first played LM, I was probably in kindergarten or so. Playing this game in my room with the lights off just made me so much more engrossed in the game, and it fit the theme much better.
MKSC: 38 SC WR's :: SC World Champion
SMB3 GBA: 21 WR's
2 years ago#5
ghosts have no personality or backstory. the original had random generic ghosts but also had portrait ghosts with a history and sometimes even a dark backstory.
Ghosts have no backstory, sure, but no PERSONALITY?! How ignorant can you get?! The ghosts may consist almost entirely of generic enemies, but they have tons of personality! They actually DO stuff, only like one ghost towards the beginning of the game and the Boos actually did stuff in the original. Even the portrait ghosts mostly just sit around and wait for Luigi to capture them...
FEA Board - Official Husbando of RNG Goddess Anna :3
There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind.
2 years ago#6
HellsingOrg posted...ghosts have no personality or backstory. the original had random generic ghosts but also had portrait ghosts with a history and sometimes even a dark backstory.
Yeah, this. I'd take a lot of charming and unique interaction over a trickle of backstory, because we barely learned anything about the portrait ghosts anyway.
Not changing this sig till Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is announced for VC.
Started: 16th of August 2008 13:27pm.
2 years ago#7
The beginning of Dark Moon had an obvious Poltergeist reference, and I always thought the Pixelator was a nod to Tron. I'm sure people who watch more movies than me have spotted more I can't list.
Oh, and I nearly forgot: in the fifth mansion,
Are you goddamn serious?
2 years ago#8
The "no personality" part I don't get. Maybe it's that they look more generic in Dark Moon, but I find that they actually have MORE personality than the ghosts in the original. They do funny stuff in this game, especially when you either first come into a room where they're playing, or you spy in them through a hole in the wall. They have pillow fights, play catch, tease each other, taunt Luigi, etc. I'm only in the second mansion now, but all the ghost interactions I've seen have made me laugh.
"Now I have chortle time. Fawful scattered your minions like litter from a sad ugly cat."
2 years ago#9
I agree TC, I kept pressing a button trying to turn the torch on & off, I'm glad they kept his speach thing though (although he doesn't say Mario).
I agree about the ghosts, they're just there in this one and have no backstory, etc, in the first one the story was about finding Mario, this one is about stupid moon fragments that turned the ghosts evil.
My big gripe is when using the vacuum, Luigi only strafe's and sort of automatically locks on to a ghost but you cant rotate him and so I miss the dual stick controls.
Currently Playing: who the **** cares.
DCUO Name: Techno Knight, Level: 30, Server: Crossfire, League: TheGothamKnights.
2 years ago#10
I am absolutely positive you haven't beaten the game yet.
Come back after you've finished it.
And I literally just finished playing the original and I don't notice any of this "dark backstory" nonsense people keep talking about.
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.