Why don't people realize this is as good as it's going to ever look?

#1parkourboybryanPosted 6/20/2012 2:35:25 PM
Seriously, this game looks picture perfect when viewed side by side to the artwork.

I had a checklist for what this game needed to pass for me in the Graphics Department.

Great Shading Effects: Check
60fps Framerate: Check
No Aliasing: Check
Vibrant Colors and Worlds: Check
Lots of Background and Character Variety: Double Check.

For this series and it's intended art style, this is the absolute best Nintendo's going to be able to do in the graphics department just shy from going into the realism department. You may not like the art style of the NSMB series, but you have to agree that this game looks beautiful and has such a vibrant style. Nintendo showed us the artwork for this game and it looks just like they had in the Artwork, not better, not worse. And that's exactly what they were going for in this game, a clean, vibrant, massively colorful world that just looks amazing. For this type of game (A non realistic looking art style), once you view it in person, you will agree that New Super Mario Bros. U sets the bar for what can be done with a non realistic art style.
---
One of the proud people that still plays Mirror's Edge to this day.
Not changing my sig until DICE officially announces Mirror's Edge 2
#2FrizzurdPosted 6/20/2012 7:03:36 PM(edited)
Enemy variation is important to me. I am liking the new looking goombas. Bowser better do something unique.....I was fine with him growing in NSMBW but it was lame in Mario Galaxy 2
#3HeroFromKryptonPosted 6/20/2012 7:14:43 PM
With Bowser I feel like they're too stuck on the "run from Bowser and reach the axe/switch" battle type. It's kinda strange that they don't at least homage his other boss battles when they actually reference the sequels quite a bit.
#4McmadnessV3Posted 6/20/2012 7:46:35 PM
This is mainly the problem with Mario having an established look.

Back in the way they were still playing around with Mario to find what kind of look he would forever have.
Now that said look is established they can't really make it look much different then that.
---
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.
#5HeroFromKryptonPosted 6/20/2012 7:48:11 PM
I'd like them to play around with the art style, even if they leave Mario and co. alone for the most part. Maybe dress up the way the ground looks for example.. make the grass more than just sort of a ... green bar over dirt, sort of like how it looked in Yoshi's Island where it was a little more detailed and stylized.
#6BabyLuigiOnFirePosted 6/20/2012 10:09:52 PM
I still think Wario Land Shake It's art style is a lot more beautiful than this game's art style. A game doesn't have to be 3D in order to look pretty.
#7SarahFailinPosted 6/22/2012 10:17:05 PM
HeroFromKrypton posted...
I'd like them to play around with the art style, even if they leave Mario and co. alone for the most part. Maybe dress up the way the ground looks for example.. make the grass more than just sort of a ... green bar over dirt, sort of like how it looked in Yoshi's Island where it was a little more detailed and stylized.

Not inherently bad, but be careful. Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland, Kirby's Dreamland 3, and Kirby 64 were much prettier game then Kirby's Adventure but they never felt aesthetically true to Kirby. Return to Dreamland exceeds both in graphical prowess while maintaining the series aesthetic integrity.
#8DanspurtPosted 6/23/2012 4:01:47 AM
I still think the aesthetics of the Galaxy games is much prettier than the New games, which is mostly just a matter of light effects, particle effects and fluid, dynamic animations, I think.

And maybe they could take it easy with the tile structure of every map. I'd love to see a 2D Mario game where the surroundings didn't look and act so "square", which they managed to avoid in the 3D titles.
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln
#9WesfanboyneverPosted 6/23/2012 12:23:45 PM
HeroFromKrypton posted...
With Bowser I feel like they're too stuck on the "run from Bowser and reach the axe/switch" battle type. It's kinda strange that they don't at least homage his other boss battles when they actually reference the sequels quite a bit.

Galaxy 2 & 1 didn't have it though. Only two games did it. NSMBW & 3D Land.
---
What's to say really?
#10parkourboybryan(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2012 6:10:44 PM
Danspurt posted...
I still think the aesthetics of the Galaxy games is much prettier than the New games, which is mostly just a matter of light effects, particle effects and fluid, dynamic animations, I think.

And maybe they could take it easy with the tile structure of every map. I'd love to see a 2D Mario game where the surroundings didn't look and act so "square", which they managed to avoid in the 3D titles.

This game when viewed in person has the great lighting, texture, and shading effects of the galaxy games, only in HD. The game may have that similar square look to it, but it looks miles better than any Mario game ever released, and is one of the best looking platformer games ever.
---
One of the proud people that still plays Mirror's Edge to this day.
Not changing my sig until DICE officially announces Mirror's Edge 2