Boooo. Borrring.

#1CrapFactoryPosted 6/23/2012 6:00:58 PM
Anyone else sick of these games?

I played New Super Mario Bros. Decent game. Old School.

Then they released so many more... they were barely different... Honestly I can only take so much.

Super Mario 3D Land was a fresh game. Loved it. Wish they'd do more 3D Marios. Less sidescrollers. I love Mario and all but I've been playing his sidescrollers for like 25 years now and the last several have been basically clones.

BOOOOOO!!!
---
Pokemon White FC: 4427 0884 0916
#2gamestar3000Posted 6/23/2012 6:08:57 PM
your complaint is what your username is
---
Alright Daisy, since you wanna keep hitting me, LET'S BEYBLADE!!!! - Me playing mario and sonic london, dream discus, daisy keeps ramming me
#3SullyTheStrangePosted 6/23/2012 6:11:09 PM
I'll still play them because I'm sure they'll be fun, but I'd prefer an actually original sidescroller -- or, better yet, a 3D game -- any day of the week.
---
All's fair in love and war, kid.
#4CrapFactory(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2012 6:12:20 PM
Super Mario Bros 3 and World are still better games than any of these newer sidescrollers.
---
#5parkourboybryanPosted 6/23/2012 6:17:21 PM
You'll see another 3D game in a couple of years for both systems.

But there's always gonna be people like you who are tired of "Blank doing the same games". That's why it's a sequel. All sequels nowadays borrow heavily from past installments and barely change aesthetically. The innovation comes whenever they break away and create an actual new game. As far as what I mean, these are the games that changed drastically compared to their predecessors:

SMB USA (SMB2)
SMB3
SMW
SML
SM64
SMSunshine
SMG
NSMB
SM3DL

As you can see, the gameplay only undergoes significant improvements when a completely new title is made. All the sequels to these main games barring the first 3, as in Super Mario Land 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Every game with the NSMB label, have never changed much due to the number or subtitle after the main title.

My Point: Expect more innovations either with the next 3D Mario Game, as it will have a different title, or wait for Nintendo to reboot the SMB games again. I on the other hand, enjoy the gameplay of the NSMB series, and will be getting this and the 3DS entry.
---
One of the proud people that still plays Mirror's Edge to this day.
Not changing my sig until DICE officially announces Mirror's Edge 2
#6CrapFactory(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2012 6:24:33 PM
parkourboybryan posted...
You'll see another 3D game in a couple of years for both systems.

But there's always gonna be people like you who are tired of "Blank doing the same games". That's why it's a sequel. All sequels nowadays borrow heavily from past installments and barely change aesthetically. The innovation comes whenever they break away and create an actual new game. As far as what I mean, these are the games that changed drastically compared to their predecessors:

SMB USA (SMB2)
SMB3
SMW
SML
SM64
SMSunshine
SMG
NSMB
SM3DL

As you can see, the gameplay only undergoes significant improvements when a completely new title is made. All the sequels to these main games barring the first 3, as in Super Mario Land 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Every game with the NSMB label, have never changed much due to the number or subtitle after the main title.

My Point: Expect more innovations either with the next 3D Mario Game, as it will have a different title, or wait for Nintendo to reboot the SMB games again. I on the other hand, enjoy the gameplay of the NSMB series, and will be getting this and the 3DS entry.

New Super Mario Bros
New Super Mario Bros Wii
New Super Mario Bros 2
New Super Mario Bros U

I'm not sure we've ever had FOUR different games that are basically the same for the same series. Not to mention the series wasn't really original to begin with and was basically based completely on the older Super Mario 3, World, etc.
---
#7parkourboybryanPosted 6/23/2012 6:25:25 PM
CrapFactory posted...
Super Mario Bros 3 and World are still better games than any of these newer sidescrollers.

And that's debatable, often times, when someone says, this game made back then is better than this game made today, it's usually nostalgia backing that statement.

Not that I don't love all the Super Mario titles, it's just that the increase in hardware has allowed the developers to fine tune and take the series to places it never would be able to go back then. It's the reason I like SM3DL better than SM64 and NSMBWii better than SMB3 or SMW. Those games were masterpieces in their time, these games outclass them due to better technology and hardware advances. The same could be said for any game praised during its glory days.

LOZ Ocarina of Time: Pales in comparison to TP and SS, the gameplay advances prove it.

Tomb Raider: Pales to Underworld now that we have analog control and fine tuned platforming and puzzle elements.

Twisted Metal: Not even gonna post a reason why TM Black and TM 2012 surpass it, you should know by now that they do.

Resident Evil: Some people swear by the tank controls, but the analog controls and TPS aim style in RE4 and RE5 made controlling the game much easier. The reason they weren't scary anymore is because they took place during the day for a majority of them and you were fighting humans instead of monsters.

TL:DR? It's almost impossible for a game to surpass a sequel made 20 years later due to the advancing technology, and anyone who disagrees is wearing (for lack of a better term) nostalgia goggles.
---
#8parkourboybryanPosted 6/23/2012 6:32:49 PM
CrapFactory posted...

New Super Mario Bros
New Super Mario Bros Wii
New Super Mario Bros 2
New Super Mario Bros U

I'm not sure we've ever had FOUR different games that are basically the same for the same series. Not to mention the series wasn't really original to begin with and was basically based completely on the older Super Mario 3, World, etc.

Like I said, If a game has an almost Identical title to it's predecessor, chances are the gameplay hasn't changed much because it was well received and the developers want to add more to the initial ideas.

All these series had sequels that barely if not at all changed the core gameplay while only adding a few extra mechanics on:
Halo
COD
Assassin's Creed
Gears of War
Uncharted
Dead Rising
Resident Evil (Up until 4, and then continued after 4)
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Twisted Metal
Portal
Every Sports game ever.
Battlefield

Mario and Nintendo aren't the only ones guilty of this, lots of other companies put 1 or more sequels out on the market that aren't different from their predecessors at all except for a few small tweaks.
---
#9SullyTheStrangePosted 6/23/2012 6:40:10 PM
As far as what I mean, these are the games that changed drastically compared to their predecessors:

SMB USA (SMB2)
SMB3
SMW
SML
SM64
SMSunshine
SMG
NSMB
SM3DL

As you can see, the gameplay only undergoes significant improvements when a completely new title is made.

SML2 isn't at all like SML1, and SMW2 isn't at all like SMW1, so they should be on that list too.

Even if you somehow argue that they shouldn't, you just listed nearly every main Mario game in your argument that sequels are similar to their predecessor, as exceptions. They aren't exceptions then, are they?

Mario has a history of being innovative and unique with each and every installment. But Nintendo's decided to ignore that in favor of quick, easy money now that they've got NSMB titles to churn out. The Lost Levels is the only other one in the entire series that's as copy/paste as NSMB sequels are.

It's not necessarily a bad thing if you do it once; take what worked before, and improve it. But at the end of this year we will have FOUR NSMB games, and they all look, sound, and play largely the same. For a franchise with a history like Mario, that's unacceptable.
---
All's fair in love and war, kid.
#10parkourboybryanPosted 6/23/2012 7:25:20 PM
SullyTheStrange posted...
As far as what I mean, these are the games that changed drastically compared to their predecessors:

SMB USA (SMB2)
SMB3
SMW
SML
SM64
SMSunshine
SMG
NSMB
SM3DL

As you can see, the gameplay only undergoes significant improvements when a completely new title is made.

SML2 isn't at all like SML1, and SMW2 isn't at all like SMW1, so they should be on that list too.

Even if you somehow argue that they shouldn't, you just listed nearly every main Mario game in your argument that sequels are similar to their predecessor, as exceptions. They aren't exceptions then, are they?

Mario has a history of being innovative and unique with each and every installment. But Nintendo's decided to ignore that in favor of quick, easy money now that they've got NSMB titles to churn out. The Lost Levels is the only other one in the entire series that's as copy/paste as NSMB sequels are.

It's not necessarily a bad thing if you do it once; take what worked before, and improve it. But at the end of this year we will have FOUR NSMB games, and they all look, sound, and play largely the same. For a franchise with a history like Mario, that's unacceptable.

Maybe you're right, but I've always observed that Nintendo likes to bring most of their huge innovations with their 3D games nowadays, and like to transfer them to the 2D titles in substitute of new mechanics (Wall Kick, Triple Jumps etc.) I agree that they need to come up with drastically new ideas, but I feel we won't see that until either the next 3D game or until Nintendo decides to reboot the SMB series again.

As for your exceptions thought, SML came out before SMW was released. With the exception of the different enemies (different looking, largely the same), SML2 was essentially a carbon copy of SMW with easier level design. As for Yoshi's Island, I had completely forgotten about it, mainly due to the fact I haven't played it in years. It should be on that list though.
---