new super mario bros series vs super mario bros

#1chstarPosted 2/3/2013 3:10:07 PM
So long story short I am sure this has been done before. but I am 26 and my brother is 13. And growing up, naturally I was a huge fan of super mario bros 3 and super mario world. and while I play and enjoy the new super mario bros series of games (excluding the 3DS one, I didn't like that one very much) I never felt that that series had ever recaptured mario 3 or mario worlds glory. And I feel thats a pretty standard opinion of most gamers.

however my brother recently told me that new super mario bros DS was his favorite 2D mario game. and he said that its only because I was older that I felt the way I did. While I feel mario 3/world was better regardless of generational differences (in other words its not just nostalgia).

So I am just curious if there are others who think the new super mario bros series is superior to mario 3/world, and he's right, it's just generational. Or that he is just a whack job, and clearly mario 3/world is better.

thank you for your opinions.
#2SpunkySixPosted 2/3/2013 4:17:13 PM
I feel that NSMB is in many ways better, especially Wii and U, but the classics were way more original and unique for their time, and World is still comparable to the modern games.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Sometimes we even manage to speak words.
#3MarioMan847Posted 2/3/2013 9:23:03 PM
chstar posted...
while I play and enjoy the new super mario bros series of games (excluding the 3DS one, I didn't like that one very much)

Stopped reading after that.
---
Video games are awesome.
#4furykiddPosted 2/3/2013 9:24:55 PM
It's nostalgia man...no matter how much you try to see past it, you'll never be able to completely remove those goggles. Sounds to me like that 13 year old brother of yours is wise beyond his years.
#5BabyLuigiOnFirePosted 2/3/2013 9:30:48 PM
MarioMan847 posted...
chstar posted...
while I play and enjoy the new super mario bros series of games (excluding the 3DS one, I didn't like that one very much)

Because your opinion matters more than anyone else's?

Oh wait, it's just MarioMan being himself. Bleh.
---
Baby Luigi>All
#6MarioMan847Posted 2/3/2013 9:37:19 PM
No, it's because I don't take kindly to great games being criticized for stupid reasons.

But hey, it's just my irrelevant opinion. Just ignore me, NSMB2 sucks as far as you're concerned.
---
Video games are awesome.
#7JHH62Posted 2/3/2013 10:23:46 PM
I like the smb series better because each one had originality, the nsmb series are all basically the same game on different consoles
#8Lolo_knightPosted 2/4/2013 4:27:25 AM
Man... same here Im 25 my first homeconsole was the SNES my first game (not the first played but the first owned) was Mario World, I've been thinking the same as you since the NSMB came out for the DS... it felt lacking, then I played the wii one, it was fun to play with friends but overall not something I hold dear in my memories department, the 3DS came out, that was just sad... it's not a bad game per se... still it's the same damn thing the ds had but... with a hell load of coins.

Now I just rented NSMB U, I wasn't going to fell for that again, spending $80 (Mexico...) on an expansion level pack it's just not how I like to throw away my money, and after beating the game!... it's good! okay it's not better than mario world, but it did bring some new FUN! stuff to the table, the challenges are an AMAZING idea, yoshi babies are awesome (I'd love more yoshi interaction tho), the bosses were cool and it has some hardness on it (you can take the safe aproach and just go with the flying squirrel suit and thats fine kids are playing this as their first game ever!), now what's bad about it... It took me a whole 8 hours to complete the game (ofc I dont have all the coins and im missing just a few challenges), it's not that it's an easy game it's just that I've played it before for it's mostly the same... so I died in the levels that brought something new for me and ofc it's not fair for the game since it's only months old and I have almost 19 years playing their predecesors so I know most of his tricks...

Taking that aside it really impressed me in some things but... man the music... why is it the same over...and over.. till this day I still whistle some yoshi's island tunes or megaman X awesome music, this wah wah stuff sticks in my head in a bad way! I loathe it!

On the SB3 department, I think it's a great game but I feel like I think your brother feels, I played it after playing mario world and the graphics just drove me off, if they did a remake I think that I would enjoy it more, it's a hard game and I know little of it since my cousin used to leap worlds with the flute but man I loved the giant world.

SO..... summing it up NSMBU Is a great game ITT a new comer would enjoy the hell out of it but mario world offers till this day more challenge, some secret exits you wouldn't dream of (first haunted mansion anyone?) a variety of levels that you never feel like you played that level before, lots of enemies! man those credits showing of all of them (tarararaaaaa taraa rara raaa you know your humming it) and great music, if they remade mario world in HD with the exact same mechanics your brother would pick it up first anytime instead of any nsb.

I think that Mario 64 is the best Mario ever it had A LOT of content tight controls and it was revolutionary to the industry, but Mario world comes next tied with Yoshy Island wich I consider a Mario game, I just dont feel that any NSMB have given us that "leap" ahead... everything seems... the same (I know it's a mario game it has to feel like mario but coming from SMB3 to SMW and then to M64 was evolution so it can be done again)

Mario sunshine, the galaxy ones and 3dland are, again, for me at least the same as Mario 64 with tiny changes to the formula, and even tho I enjoyed playing them I feel they are overrated.

Sorry for the LONG post and the bad grammar if any, it's not my intention to hurt no one, just giving my opinion for I think I feel somewhat like the TC, hugz to you all
---
We fill the silence with our own insecurities
#9McmadnessV3Posted 2/4/2013 8:54:39 AM
I don't think one is better than the other, they all feel the same to me really.
---
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.
#10chstar(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 9:17:18 AM
MarioMan847 posted...
chstar posted...

I don't understand?

but thanks everyone for your opinions. these are interesting reads