new super mario bros series vs super mario bros

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. New Super Mario Bros. U
  3. new super mario bros series vs super mario bros

User Info: Kaiboraz

Kaiboraz
3 years ago#11
I guess i'm biased because i'm 27. There hasn't been too many 2D console Mario games I haven't owned or played extensively.

I think they are so close in quality it's hard to pick a winner. Which shouldn't be the case. With HD graphics (finally) and several generations to improve upon. Wii U's games should crush the NES and SNES.

I think part of it is things we as older gamers expect and are dissappointed by.

I really liked the parkour element of wall-kicks and triple jumps.
I really liked the new powers, spinny mushrooms, acorns etc

I was really disappointed Yoshi was temporary power up, that is barely a power up.
I was really disappointed some of the older powers didn't make a return (frog, cape, hammer bros etc)

If you were to play Super Mario World and then immediately play New Super Mario Bros Wii I think that SNES would hold up.
PSN: Silver-ArchAngel

User Info: BabyLuigiOnFire

BabyLuigiOnFire
3 years ago#12
MarioMan847 posted...
No, it's because I don't take kindly to great games being criticized for stupid reasons.

"I didn't like it" is a good reason since it's a matter of opinion
Baby Luigi>All

User Info: Quiennely

Quiennely
3 years ago#13
I'm in my 30's and my first game was SMB/Duck Hunt/WCTM. I've played all of the SMB/NSMB games, except for the DS/3DS. My opinion...

NSMB(U) both captured a lot of the great things that people were thrilled over when SMW came out. The ability to go back, hidden exits, more of a "choose your own adventure" type as opposed to the more structured SMB-SMB3 games.

I do love the newer ones. But I think one of the negatives is that, with the ability to go back and re-do levels as much as you want, some of the challenge is gone. Remember SMB3 when Tanooki Mario was rare? Same with P-Wings. You used it, and that was it. You can't go back and just replay that mini-level to get it again. You can't go back and redo those Hammer Bros. or that ship to get those items back. Even finish a level in SMB3 and be disappointed you didn't get enough coins for the white mushroom house? Can't go back and retry it.

I do like the flexibility of the newer games. I just don't like that it can be made a "just rush to the flag because I can re-do it later" game. But I think the series is great.
  1. Boards
  2. New Super Mario Bros. U
  3. new super mario bros series vs super mario bros

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived