Favorite Zelda Dungeon?

#21ecylisPosted 5/8/2014 7:08:09 PM
Not sure.

Good contenders are City in the Sky, Lakebed Temple, Water Temple and Ancient Cistern.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3582-9158-2225 | http://i.imgur.com/0C9NRfR.png
#22slumpcatPosted 5/8/2014 7:53:12 PM
Oh crap, I forgot the Snowpeak Ruins from Twilight Princess. That's up there too.
---
Live on the edge of edge living desire
#23iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2014 11:52:53 PM
Abugumgum posted...
Probably Ancient Cistern.

Coleby posted...
SS' Ancient Cistern

Alright I get the reasoning behind liking the theming and story behind this dungeon. But I still fail to see how it makes up for the complete lack of difficulty or maze-like elements. Isn't that the most important part of a dungeon? When those come up short, why is it hailed as the greatest water dungeon ever?

Part of the reason I like Snowpeak is that it's not completely straight forward (sometimes you have to figure out where to go next, even it if there is one way to go), and the puzzles are fair but challenging. It doesn't get you lost like the Water Temple, but it's also not braindead easy, the 2nd block puzzle is well known as one of the best puzzles in the series.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#24fernantendoPosted 5/9/2014 9:43:42 AM
It's kinda hard to decide, so I'll just go with the 1st dungeon I played:

Deku Tree

That's right! It's not the best dungeon, but it is my favorite, due to it being my first.

The atmosphere! The danger! The thinking behind the web and boss door puzzles! Swimming/pushing/burning/climbing/jumping! Slingshot and 1st Person View! Boss! And aftermath of dungeon!

So impressive, its still imprinted in my mind my first time going through it, and the realization that I was (then) playing the best game ever made!
---
Let's get ON with it! - Bill from The Last of Us
#25MrKoyemshiPosted 5/9/2014 11:07:15 AM
iKhan88 posted...
When those come up short, why is it hailed as the greatest water dungeon ever?

- Decent controls
- No tedious process of elimination
- Decently utilized item
- Koloktos

I still prefer Great Bay Temple myself, though.
---
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
--Bruce Campbell
#26iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 12:43:14 PM
MrKoyemshi posted...
iKhan88 posted...
When those come up short, why is it hailed as the greatest water dungeon ever?

- Decent controls
- No tedious process of elimination
- Decently utilized item
- Koloktos

I still prefer Great Bay Temple myself, though.

I probably said that wrong. My real question is why is it hailed as one of the best dungeons ever.

I agree Koloktos is great, but should bosses really be counted with Dungeons? They really don't have anything to do with one another.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#27ThatKippPosted 5/9/2014 12:45:36 PM
Hyrule Castle Level 2 (LttP)
---
http://i.imgur.com/Upcd7fL.png
#28MrKoyemshiPosted 5/9/2014 1:18:30 PM
iKhan88 posted...
I probably said that wrong. My real question is why is it hailed as one of the best dungeons ever.

Ah. Well, I guess it's mainly the theme, the boss, and the lack of any real annoyance factors. As I see it, no dungeon has really captured the theme of light and dark (or even light or dark, for that matter) better. It all feels pretty original.

I agree Koloktos is great, but should bosses really be counted with Dungeons? They really don't have anything to do with one another.

Er, well, you fight the boss inside the dungeon, and only inside the dungeon. So. . . yeah.
---
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
--Bruce Campbell
#29iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 2:31:26 PM
MrKoyemshi posted...
iKhan88 posted...

Ah. Well, I guess it's mainly the theme, the boss, and the lack of any real annoyance factors. As I see it, no dungeon has really captured the theme of light and dark (or even light or dark, for that matter) better. It all feels pretty original.

Eh,

I'd argue Tower of the Gods did the combination of Light+Water better with a combination of challenge, creative puzzles, and atmosphere.

The list of good shadow dungeons in Zelda would break the character limit.

Also, Skyward Sword is the only game I've ever played in which the dungeons didn't all feel creepy and/or threatening. And AC is a great example of this, with the calm and serene music. It just really clashes with the feeling of fighting monsters and going through a tough trials
---
#30AbugumgumPosted 5/9/2014 4:19:57 PM(edited)
I think different people have different things that they appreciate in dungeons. Personally, Ancient Cistern is an aesthetic and thematic marvel, it has a varied and interesting item, it has internal logic, and it has among the best bosses in the series (and yes, bosses are part of the dungeon). It is a dungeon where without a single line of dialogue being spoken within it, carries it's own little narrative, and that is really memorable.

For me, dungeons that stand out are usually more so due to narrative memorability more so than difficulty. The Snowpeak mansion is another example of this, being a dungeon with an interesting household plotline unfolding throughout it's completion. Also the Forsaken Fortress for the stealth and the narrative behind it. And the Spirit temple for the young and adult portions. I could also give honorable mention to the Tower of the Gods and Sand Ship here. But if I was judging purely on maze like quality and puzzles, the Stone Tower Temple would have this hands down, then maybe the Sky Keep. But there is more to a dungeon.