Now that the honeymoon period is over: Thoughts on ALBW?

#21KayoePosted 5/8/2014 11:25:33 AM
Sentinel07 posted...
Even Spirit Tracks has better combat than it.

I found spirit tracks to be WAY too easy.
I three heart ran it blind on a whim (to prove to myself I didn't just dislike the touch controls because I was bad at them), and was able to do so with about the same effort that other Zelda games take me to beat playing normally.
I am way more challenged by LBW.
#22ThatKippPosted 5/9/2014 1:45:08 PM(edited)
Good, but still far behind Link to the Past. Dungeons were better in Spirit Tracks and many of the other games. Story would've benefited from being less of a focus or more of a focus. They try to make you care about the characters, but ultimately it fails since you only talk to each one like 2 times in the entire game. Link to the Past had maybe 3 characters, and they were all better than the ones in ALBW, plus, the story was less intrusive. But hey, at least it has good graphics and music. And you can't complain about the great framerate.

I had more fun with it than Fire Emblem Awakening; a lot of people really like that game, but I just prefer the older Fire Emblems, like 4 and 12.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Upcd7fL.png
#23MetaFalconPunchPosted 5/9/2014 1:58:16 PM
Sentinel07 posted...
fddsfsasf posted...
asbsand posted...
It feels like the NSMB version of Zelda.

bingo

Indeed.

---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.
#24bksonic123Posted 5/9/2014 4:01:35 PM
Really good Zelda game. Nostalgic, good story but, most importantly, it was FUN (hello Skyward Sword).

However, replay value is terrible if you 100% your first playthrough. There is no incentive to play through Hero mode unless you really want to, because the game's puzzles are straightforward once you know where to go or what to do.
---
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
#25ecylisPosted 5/9/2014 5:13:24 PM
Easily the best 2D Zelda, could be the best Zelda.

I'm just not sure how to rank my top three. I think I really know that it's Majora's Mask, Link Between Worlds, and Twilight Princess, but I don't know what goes where.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3582-9158-2225 | http://i.imgur.com/0C9NRfR.png
#26AbnegationBrettPosted 5/9/2014 5:22:15 PM
Goombacrusher posted...
It's a really fun and awesome game. I don't know if I want every Zelda game to handle items the same way but for this one game it was a really cool gimmick that gave the game a refreshing sense of freedom. I liked that the game didn't beat you over the head with tutorials and just let you figure things out yourself. Sure there were the hint goggles but those were optional, so optional that I didn't even get find them my first playthrough of the game. Being able to do the temples in different orders added an extra lever of replayability that I would like to see return in some form with future installments.

The combat was pretty good although it wasn't the best. I think they should've included the Roc's cape in the game even though it wasn't in ALttP to add an extra layer of maneuverability to the battles, and it would've been neat to see with the 3D effect. The bosses were fun though and actually attacked the player, plus Hero Mode added a nice level of challenge to the game, though I think they should've done a bit more with it. If Kirby is able to give its bosses extra attacks on the higher difficulty, I think Zelda can too. The game also hits a difficulty plateau once you reach Lorule. I think the next Zelda game should mix elements of linearity and nonlinearity more, so the game can have a nice difficulty curve while also giving the player options.

The controls are the best of any Zelda game, Link moves around buttery smooth and the game really benefits from the 60 frames per second frame speed rate frame movement frame speeeeeeeeeed.

The music is some of the best of any Zelda game. Like that song in the dark low rule. It;s an old theme from another game but the remix is really nice and addictive to hear. I especially like the duet versions in the milk bar. Also Majora's Mask is hang in on Link's wall Majora's Mask is a really good game they should make a remake of it so I can play it again and have lots of fuuun. Get on that Nintendo you bunch lazy bastards. I ain't just sittin around here for nothin, do it. F*** you. I'm just kidding. No I'm not

The story is good, it's very minimalized but it has some nice twists near the end like when your wife stays over at her exe's house because she's tired of you parking her car in the window of the house and she says you need to get your life together or she'll eb gone for good. B****, I dint put that car there! It put itself there...with -hic- magic! Overall the story still leaves something to be desired but it is more than serviceable unlike my wife who is a gigantic whore.

Overall A Link Between Worlds is a game. If you have a 3DS you should buy it but if you don't own a 3DS you should why the f*** don't you have a 3DS it's better than the stupid Xbone go dammit I hate this industry you're all a bunch of ****heads you think you're just entitled to whatever you want? Cuz you're not! I quit. F*** all yous.

Links Worlds gets a 9/6.

This
---
3DS FC: 0602-6770-2271 Dream Address: 4400-2184-2666 I have a Grass type Friend Safari
I'm always up for a game of Kid Icarus Uprising. It's HAMAZING. ;)
#27iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 7:44:52 PM
The fact that the combat is similar to other 3D games is a bit upsetting.

I might put it off a bit longer.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#28Echo738Posted 5/9/2014 9:47:25 PM
It's good. The story is a bit sparse and the art design is very simple, maybe a bit oversaturated, but I had more fun playing it than I have any other Zelda game in recent years. Would mind if future Zeldas took on the same open world, nonlinear approach.
---
PSN: Echo738
3DS: 5327 - 1006 - 6635
#29XodarhisPosted 5/10/2014 10:16:19 AM
iKhan88 posted...
I've come to realize that opinions on Zelda games are as good as useless in the first few months after release. People are just so elated with a new Zelda experience that they really don't wait for the game to have an impression on them. I remember when I finished Skyward Sword, I defended the game to death.

So I haven't picked up ALBW yet, in part because it's a 2D game, and in part because its expensive and in part because I've had other stuff to play. But now I'm between that and FE: Awakening. So I have to ask, what did you guys think about it? Does the combat stand out as more exciting and varied than previous 2D games? What are the bigger flaws?

It's one of my favorite 2D Zelda games.

That said, take this topic to the ALBW board. Reported.
---
He inspires me. Xodarhis. He is the hero GameFAQs needs.
Truly a mantra.
#30iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2014 12:54:53 PM
Xodarhis posted...
iKhan88 posted...
I've come to realize that opinions on Zelda games are as good as useless in the first few months after release. People are just so elated with a new Zelda experience that they really don't wait for the game to have an impression on them. I remember when I finished Skyward Sword, I defended the game to death.

So I haven't picked up ALBW yet, in part because it's a 2D game, and in part because its expensive and in part because I've had other stuff to play. But now I'm between that and FE: Awakening. So I have to ask, what did you guys think about it? Does the combat stand out as more exciting and varied than previous 2D games? What are the bigger flaws?

It's one of my favorite 2D Zelda games.

That said, take this topic to the ALBW board. Reported.

Wow. Really? Dick move. I asked this here for a particular reason, I don't want a board filled with fanboys for the game. This board has a great diversity of opinions though.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion