From the quote I read, Aonuma never confirmed...

#81edgarmorrtisPosted 6/12/2014 5:03:05 PM
Personally I'm just completely baffled at how much convincing it takes, to convince somebody that a 30 year old male video game character is still a male, even after the head director of the game confirms that said 30 year old male video game character is still a male.

lol.
---
The world will look up and shout "save us". And I'll look down and whisper "Hodor".
#82Abugumgum(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 5:36:12 PM(edited)
You know what. I guess we'll just have to see.
I think you guys are taking your interpretations of events as being concrete facts, and that is tough to argue with. This Link looks noticeably more feminine to me and a lot of other people as well. And I am someone who found comments that SS Link looked girly totally unfounded. But if you guys are of the belief that myself and everyone else who say femininity there are just imagining things then it appears I cannot convince you otherwise.
But I think that the gender pronoun is a very weak "confirmation" when you consider the context of it. He is not making a statement that Link is a male. He specifically made the statement that he wouldn't say anything specific on the matter and it [may have been] intentional that people are considering the character a potential girl. So. The fact that he makes a comment where he uses the pronoun "he" does not strike me as a confirmation that my theory that there will be a gender swap option in light of all this other evidence.

We will just have to see what happens. I am still calling a gender option in this game.
#83ZTIger5Posted 6/12/2014 5:35:44 PM
He didn't explicitly say Link is male in this game, but he did say this, according to GameInformer: Another interesting comment I've heard, quite frequently actually, is that, "Oh Link's a woman. Link is female now." Which strongly implies he intended for Link to be a male, regardless of the gender ambiguity the team presented, intentional or not. Furthermore, Aonuma did confirm that the character is indeed Link, who has always been explicitly male.

Now don't get your panties in a twist, I'm just saying it's very likely this Link is male. I'm open to the possibility of a female main character, it just doesn't seem to be this one. I'm not narrow-minded enough to claim something as true without solid proof. Anyone that's sensible should come to the same conclusion and stop debating it.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2621-3147-6988, X Friend Safari) Fire: Larvesta, Magmar, Ninetales. 8am-2pm and 8pm-12am UTC-06:00
I believe in everlasting life in Heaven.
#84edgarmorrtisPosted 6/12/2014 5:36:50 PM
Abugumgum posted...
I think you guys are taking your interpretations of events as being concrete facts, and that is tough to argue with.

Really?.....really?.....

You've been confirmed wrong by the game director himself and you still won't admit you're wrong lol.

Clearly we're the delusional ones cementing our theories as concrete facts though...

(insert photo of confused jackie chan)
---
The world will look up and shout "save us". And I'll look down and whisper "Hodor".
#85edgarmorrtisPosted 6/12/2014 5:39:21 PM
ZTIger5 posted...
He didn't explicitly say Link is male in this game

He did when he called Link a "him".

Theirs not many other ways you can interpret that friendo lol
---
#86Abugumgum(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 6:45:00 PM
What is it that you think I am arguing exactly?
#87FrebDegitPosted 6/12/2014 6:46:23 PM
Abugumgum posted...
What is it that you think I am arguing exactly?

Do you even know what you're arguing? ._.
#88Abugumgum(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 6:58:00 PM(edited)
I am pretty concrete on what I'm arguing. I am arguing that I believe the character in the trailer is female, and this game will give the player the option of a male or female hero. Hence why Aonuma is not making an out right specific statement about player character's sex.

I guess as an extension of that point I am also arguing that Link does not have to be male in order to perform the role of the hero in Zelda games. Nor is there anything exclusively masculine about Link's personality. Nor does the canon limit the potential for a female incarnation of the hero.
#89Bomber_RocketPosted 6/12/2014 6:56:34 PM
edgarmorrtis posted...
ZTIger5 posted...

I'm not saying anything but was he speaking Japanese? Pronouns and Japanese are tricky
#90FrebDegitPosted 6/12/2014 7:05:31 PM
Bomber_Rocket posted...
edgarmorrtis posted...
ZTIger5 posted...

I'm not saying anything but was he speaking Japanese? Pronouns and Japanese are tricky

I'm sure they did not hear him incorrectly and I'm also sure they did not have a mistranslation. It's not too hard to misunderstand a joke when it is put into text, considering you can barely add inflections and just missing the visual elements can cloud that alone. While it is not impossible that someone screwed up, the likelihood of that after elaboration is extremely minimal..