Will there ever be a "balanced" Zelda title?

#1SourTeaPosted 6/29/2011 11:12:31 PM
As in...they put just as much work into the story and characters as they do into the game play?
Not to mention game play that is equal parts puzzle and combat, rather then just easy/medium level puzzles and very easy combat.
I know Nintendo is all about game play, but unlike Mario games which naturally meld with being a pure game play experience, Zelda feels...somewhat "watered down" IMO because it's a different genre of game, even if the game play is still on par with their other titles.
It's kind of like having a work horse and a race horse, but you're using the race horse for plowing fields rather then racing, it's still a high quality horse, but the set of skills it has are wasted working through the muck that the other horse also does, but is actually suited for and does a better job because of it.

And I'm not trying to put the serious down or anything, it's actually my favorite series ever, I just feel like it could be even greater.
That being said, I know Nintendo is very bogged down into their own traditions, so in reality...it will probably never happen, but I can dream....can't I?
---
gamerTai doesn't know me.
"but still would have been better if you quoted me" ~ I_8_my_hippo.
#2kamikazetomatoPosted 6/30/2011 7:49:43 AM
SourTea posted...
As in...they put just as much work into the story and characters as they do into the game play?
Not to mention game play that is equal parts puzzle and combat, rather then just easy/medium level puzzles and very easy combat.
I know Nintendo is all about game play, but unlike Mario games which naturally meld with being a pure game play experience, Zelda feels...somewhat "watered down" IMO because it's a different genre of game, even if the game play is still on par with their other titles.
It's kind of like having a work horse and a race horse, but you're using the race horse for plowing fields rather then racing, it's still a high quality horse, but the set of skills it has are wasted working through the muck that the other horse also does, but is actually suited for and does a better job because of it.

And I'm not trying to put the serious down or anything, it's actually my favorite series ever, I just feel like it could be even greater.
That being said, I know Nintendo is very bogged down into their own traditions, so in reality...it will probably never happen, but I can dream....can't I?

A: Zelda is a fairy tale. It's not supposed to be complicated.

B: Zelda is an exploration series with some combat in there to keep us engaged while exploring and have requisite bosses. It's not supposed to have a combat focus. If they equalize puzzles/dungeons and combat then the puzzles/dungeons suffer, because the flow is interrupted. Combat should be a little more advanced than TP, but this isn't God of War.

C: I love it when fans of the series, who say this is their favorite series, want to "make it better" by making it more generic. Zelda is awesome because of what it is. Individual aspects can be improved, but what makes it work is its unique gameplay that isn't bogged down by story but still engages thanks to their adherence to the fairy tale formula. It's not an RPG, and it's not a brawler. It's Zelda.
---
King of the Zelda Wii U WT Board
http://i.imgur.com/RK6EB.png
#3SourTea(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2011 4:29:35 PM
Now that I think about it...Skyward Sword is kind of shaping up how I'd want a Zelda game to be.
Since they mentioned having NPC interaction like Majora's Mask, added a few new plot elements rather then just "Save the world" and obviously has a little more focus on combat then usual with the Wii-motion+.
Hopefully the puzzles are solved in clever ways as well.
---
gamerTai doesn't know me.
"but still would have been better if you quoted me" ~ I_8_my_hippo.
#4LolmitchPosted 6/30/2011 4:51:00 PM
horses don't plow
---
DrBigMan