Theory on the name "Wii U"

#1ThePiano_ManPosted 11/5/2011 8:26:40 PM
I, like many others, thought the Wii U was a terrible, terrible, dumb, dumb, bad name. Dumb.

However, I think I know why they named it Wii U; to capitalize on the recognition of the Wii's name by the casual audience. I think Nintendo realizes that the Wii was a fad to the casuals, and this is backed by the low attach rate. And thus we get similar branding and new gimmicks.

I really don't like this trend that's forming. I don't mind the motion controls, I think they're pretty cool. But how are you going to use the motion controls from Skyward Sword and implement new uses with the new controller for the Zelda Wii U at the same time? It looks like they're going to have to sacrifice one over the other. And I'd personally like for them to already have a control scheme down at the beginning of development to speed up development, which usually takes a long time for Zelda games.
#2Skatz95Posted 11/6/2011 6:11:35 AM
Wii Universe sounds good.
---
Official Groose of the Skyward Sword Board
#3HawkEye1997Posted 11/7/2011 5:12:46 AM
No, you're wrong. Dead wrong.

They said they named it that because its more personalized, and for you.
---
Why is it so hard to think of a good sig?
#4Gump_the_GreatPosted 11/8/2011 3:12:33 AM
They called it the Wii U cause everyone thought that the Wii was the stupidest name they could come up with, and they wanted to prove us wrong.
#5EchixirPosted 11/8/2011 10:00:51 PM
No no, you've all got it wrong.

Nintendo's new trend for naming video game consoles is to place a (misspelled) pronoun after the name of the console that came before it.

So it started with the Wii, then the Wii U, and then in another 5 or 6 years they'll announce the Wii U Them.
---
I can haz 5:11 tiem nao plz?
#6TorchicBlazikenPosted 11/9/2011 11:51:02 AM
It's a better name than Xbox 360. What does the word "Xbox" have to do with the word "360"?
#7bloodmage3Posted 11/9/2011 12:55:31 PM
U or 2, what's the difference?
---
Be careful! He may look like an idiot, act like an idiot and sound like an idiot, but don't be fooled, he really is an idiot!
#8Block_Man_XPosted 11/9/2011 5:02:39 PM
It should of been the UNES for Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System.
---
PSN-block-man-x / SSF4 Mains Vega/ MVC3 Cptn America Akuma zero/Dante Wolverine sentinel.
#9zackereePosted 11/10/2011 1:16:14 AM
TorchicBlaziken posted...
It's a better name than Xbox 360. What does the word "Xbox" have to do with the word "360"?

xbox is dumb xbox 360 is dumb name to. wii actually sounds cool and wii u is pretty cool to, more creative than xbox fanboys want to believe
#10Swickman81Posted 11/10/2011 11:37:19 AM
I like the nameXBOX 360 despite not actually owning a Microsoft console. PlayStation was a good name and became very recognizable. It highlighted what gaming is about, playing on a specialized "station". I like the name PlayStation Vita too. I fully understood the name Wii and it grew on me.

But Wii U sucks. Plain and simple. I like the look of the console, the tablet has me interested but the name clearly sucks. And if you think it is a good name, I pity your children. What are you going to name them?
---
"You are a failed abortion. Apparently, you could not even do that right!"