Theory on the name "Wii U"

#11bloodmage3Posted 11/10/2011 2:24:45 PM
Swickman81 posted...
I like the nameXBOX 360 despite not actually owning a Microsoft console. PlayStation was a good name and became very recognizable. It highlighted what gaming is about, playing on a specialized "station". I like the name PlayStation Vita too. I fully understood the name Wii and it grew on me.

But Wii U sucks. Plain and simple. I like the look of the console, the tablet has me interested but the name clearly sucks. And if you think it is a good name, I pity your children. What are you going to name them?

Ed and Edo.
Unless you think Ed 1 and Ed 2 are better names...
---
Be careful! He may look like an idiot, act like an idiot and sound like an idiot, but don't be fooled, he really is an idiot!
#12conantheimpPosted 11/14/2011 12:32:34 AM
Up until 6th gen all the systems(except for a few outliers) had names actually RELATED to gaming. Famicom, NES, Dreamcast, , playstation etc

Then we got the XBox. What the hell is that supposed to mean? It is a box that does... something.... This ws against the Gamecube and the PS2, which started Sony's trend of continuing their Play<something><#>.

7th gen got even worse. 360. Not only did it keep the wierd XBox name, it added an obscure reference to the number of degrees in a circle. We got the Wii, which is still a stupid name, but grounded in its multipayer focus. Revolution was a better name... And Sony had the PS3. Boring, but indicative, unlike the others.

And the 8th gen will have the Wii U, which is an abstractly player focused name. The Loop(confirmed?), previously the 720(why that number? Xbox 3x360?), is again an obscure reference to circles. This name actually bothers me more than Wii U; you can just say "U", but either way, as stupid as it sounds, it rolls off the tongue. Loop sounds loopy. The PS4 will probably have that name, unless Sony decides to go strange on us.
---
CSplitter~I shall make a sculpture depicting you. From gold. Covered in ice-cream.
www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960633-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/57823775
#13ThePiano_Man(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2011 3:12:30 PM
No, you're wrong. Dead wrong.

They said they named it that because its more personalized, and for you.

Yes, lets base our entire opinion of the Wii U's name on the PR campaign.
#14lobster22221Posted 11/24/2011 5:47:20 AM
conantheimp posted...
Up until 6th gen all the systems(except for a few outliers) had names actually RELATED to gaming. Famicom, NES, Dreamcast, , playstation etc

Then we got the XBox. What the hell is that supposed to mean? It is a box that does... something.... This ws against the Gamecube and the PS2, which started Sony's trend of continuing their Play<something><#>.

7th gen got even worse. 360. Not only did it keep the wierd XBox name, it added an obscure reference to the number of degrees in a circle. We got the Wii, which is still a stupid name, but grounded in its multipayer focus. Revolution was a better name... And Sony had the PS3. Boring, but indicative, unlike the others.

And the 8th gen will have the Wii U, which is an abstractly player focused name. The Loop(confirmed?), previously the 720(why that number? Xbox 3x360?), is again an obscure reference to circles. This name actually bothers me more than Wii U; you can just say "U", but either way, as stupid as it sounds, it rolls off the tongue. Loop sounds loopy. The PS4 will probably have that name, unless Sony decides to go strange on us.

Xbox =Direct xbox, DirectX being a series of APIs used by microsoft. I believe the 360 uses a modified version of DirectX 9, while windows 7 comes with directX 11.

I'm a fan of the wii as much as anyone else, but Wii U (and tbh, Wii) IS kind of a stupid name.
---
Arther king of the Brits, defeater of the Saxons. I
#15conantheimpPosted 11/24/2011 9:20:49 PM

Xbox =Direct xbox, DirectX being a series of APIs used by microsoft. I believe the 360 uses a modified version of DirectX 9, while windows 7 comes with directX 11.

That could be it, but I kinda doubt it... Either way, the only realistic sounding names this gen are PS4 and 3DS(3d Duel screen pun).
---
CSplitter~I shall make a sculpture depicting you. From gold. Covered in ice-cream.
www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960633-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/57823775
#16BlackAceX17Posted 12/4/2011 10:53:50 AM
I'm gonna explain you:

1) Wii is a name that means "we" that's why the Wii has familiar games.

2) The U means "You" that's why have hardcore games.
#17Gunfreak010Posted 12/4/2011 11:25:56 AM
Wii (Own) (YO)U(R SOUL)
---
http://i41.tinypic.com/2vkkl08.jpg - Thanks chitlin_n_grits
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1732/gunfreak010.png - Thanks Beam_