Did anyone take non linear dungeons to mean every item will be like the spinner?

#1Geminia999Posted 1/23/2013 2:22:42 PM
I mean, the spinner was remembered for being very fun, but still absolutely useless outside of its dungeon besides a few heart pieces and one part right before the final boss. I just see having such an open order means everything would have to be open from start, have the same difficulty from start, only puzzles involving that dungeon item, etc.

Unless they really go out of their way to make the dungeons vary depending on which items you have (would be awesome for speed runs though) and a sliding difficulty for after each dungeon, I just don't see that working. Who knows, maybe it can be done, but maybe it can't/
---
[::[_]::]Common sense
[+[_]::]just because you can doesn't mean you should
#2heartlessprinnyPosted 1/23/2013 2:28:42 PM
Well if more items have combat applications it might not be too bad.
#3MooglePeruPosted 1/23/2013 2:32:29 PM
I think they will use items a-la ST: They will have multiple uses in and outside combat. And they'll make few item-puzzles and save all of the big ones for the final final dungeon.
---
My Backloggery: Only fun games allowed!
http://www.backloggery.com/moogleperu
#4HalykainazooPosted 1/23/2013 2:35:09 PM
Not necessarily everything needs to be open :

Adult Link (OOT) :
Forest Temple -> (Fire/Water Temple) -> Well -> (Spirit/Shadow)

With a pseudo-linear dungeon system, you can have items come back (Bow, Lens of Truth, Hookshot in the end) while having some sense of freedom.

Besides, what is missing from the Spinner is not only the other dungeons, but pretty much all of Hyrule. It doesn't hurt to have one or two heart pieces to use it again..if I recall, all it does is allow access to further levels of the Battle Cave (or whatever its name)

The game also lacks purely optional items (Ice Arrows in OOT, Fairy Sword in MM, the upgrades in SS...) that give some sort of freedom as well.
#5heartlessprinnyPosted 1/23/2013 2:42:25 PM
A Link to the Past handled this aspect the best, I think. You could do the the dark world dungeons in a lot of different orders, and most of the items were usable for combat, it also had plenty of completely optional items.
#6LordAlistairPosted 1/23/2013 3:10:40 PM
LttP and OoT had a lot of filler items in the later dungeons so they could be switched around easier.

The mails and Mirror Shield were good for combat but useless as far as puzzles went. The Titan Mitts are needed in the overworld but not really in any dungeons.

In OoT the Hover Boots were practically useless outside of the Shadow Temple. The Longshot was just the Hookshot but better. Mirror Shield was only used in Spirit Temple and Ganon's Tower which had to be done afterward anyway (barring sequence breaking). Even the Megaton Hammer only got a couple token uses outside of the Fire Temple.
---
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9710/bossqt.jpg
http://www.zeldaeternity.com/2011/05/you-might-be-a-zelda-hipster/
#7cucumberkingPosted 1/23/2013 8:03:59 PM
Have the main items come from quests outside of temples, and have the temples where it is really needed only accessible in a way that ensures you have the necessary items. (Like Hookshot into the Forest Temple)
#8ArcvalonsPosted 1/23/2013 8:10:16 PM
Do away with dungeon items, and be able to buy all important equipment in a store (bow, bombs, clawshots, magnet gloves, roc's cape, hammer, etc.)
---
http://i.imgur.com/pVqey.png
Arcvalons really is a genius.-kamikazetomato. If I remain a virgin until I reach 30 I become a wizard. - gamerTai.
#9Demon_KiwiPosted 1/23/2013 8:11:26 PM
Halykainazoo posted...
Not necessarily everything needs to be open :

Adult Link (OOT) :
Forest Temple -> (Fire/Water Temple) -> Well -> (Spirit/Shadow)

Technically speaking you can do the Forest/Fire/Water Temples in any order. The Water Temple without the bow is difficult but possible with the right methods and the Fire Temple doesn't need it at all.
---
Gamertag: Daemon Kiwi
#10iKhanicPosted 1/23/2013 8:18:59 PM(edited)
Geminia999 posted...
I mean, the dominion rod was remembered for being very fun, but still absolutely useless outside of its dungeon besides a few heart pieces and one part right before the final boss.

fix'd

The spinner was plenty useful, you just had to know how to use it.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US