spoilers:Contraversal Opinion, the early Zelda games were a lot easier than the

#11toasty_toasterPosted 1/30/2013 3:10:22 PM
Noobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQiFDOdZul0&list=WL75B7E4F3C744201B

/Topic
---
Check out my music - (Snakes on a plane remix, anyone?)
http://www.youtube.com/user/meowsers450
#12RageBotPosted 1/30/2013 3:36:30 PM
Even when comparing bosses, ALttP has some of the hardest bosses in the franchise IMHO, such as Mothula, Blind the Thief, and Helmasaur King.
---
"My fist is the divine breath. Rise, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden power! Grant upon thee the power of the glorious Mother of Destruction!"
#13PT_PiranhaPosted 1/30/2013 4:16:27 PM
What if someone is bad at the newer games, but brilliant while playing the old games? I've always wondered.

I'm also wondering what the rubric is. Puzzles? Or enemy damage? Because the first one is what Nintendo seems to put the focus on.
---
OH. BANANA.
"Mints make me lonely."
#14MooglePeruPosted 1/30/2013 4:53:03 PM
PT_Piranha posted...
What if someone is bad at the newer games, but brilliant while playing the old games? I've always wondered.

I'm also wondering what the rubric is. Puzzles? Or enemy damage? Because the first one is what Nintendo seems to put the focus on.

Originally, it was "finding your way to the Triforce". Now that has sadly changed to "Beat this silly puzzles we present to you".
---
My Backloggery: Only fun games allowed!
http://www.backloggery.com/moogleperu
#15PT_PiranhaPosted 1/30/2013 5:25:09 PM
MooglePeru posted...
PT_Piranha posted...

Originally, it was "finding your way to the Triforce". Now that has sadly changed to "Beat this silly puzzles we present to you".

Oh. Okay. But seriously, how are people in the thread defining difficulty?
---
OH. BANANA.
"Mints make me lonely."
#16MetalKirbyPlushPosted 1/31/2013 12:11:19 AM
I think it's more in the overall combat but I'd also say it has to do a lot with resources. Hearts were fairly scarce, bottle contents were in lower quantity or nowhere near as good as they are now (fairies became heavily devalued as you got more hearts in ALTTP, you popped the Life spell later on when a magic potion dropped in AoL because magic conversation was important), enemies could only deal damage in halves or wholes (and nearly every enemy in the Dark World in ALTTP dealt 1-3 hearts), and there's lots of traps everywhere that make positioning a really big deal.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that positioning made the difficultly in the first three Zelda games. Because combat wasn't extensive, the games were developed more so around the types of enemies along with the type of area you were in that would create difficulty. In LoZ, your attacks were limited to a poke with four directional movement; the game was built around this but it still stresses the importance of positioning well.
---
Samus ruined Metroid forever. She keeps killing them. ~CTsChoco
#17faramir77Posted 2/3/2013 12:39:10 PM
It's not really an opinion when it's factually wrong. But ok.

This. Saying Zelda 1, 2, and ALttP are easier than TP, PH, ST, or SS isn't even right.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCtAUrZbUk
-- Defeating the Running Man of Ocarina of Time in a race since 01/17/2009. --
#18Dark_LawlPosted 2/3/2013 3:42:44 PM(edited)
MetalKirbyPlush posted...
I think it's more in the overall combat but I'd also say it has to do a lot with resources. Hearts were fairly scarce, bottle contents were in lower quantity or nowhere near as good as they are now (fairies became heavily devalued as you got more hearts in ALTTP, you popped the Life spell later on when a magic potion dropped in AoL because magic conversation was important), enemies could only deal damage in halves or wholes (and nearly every enemy in the Dark World in ALTTP dealt 1-3 hearts), and there's lots of traps everywhere that make positioning a really big deal.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that positioning made the difficultly in the first three Zelda games. Because combat wasn't extensive, the games were developed more so around the types of enemies along with the type of area you were in that would create difficulty. In LoZ, your attacks were limited to a poke with four directional movement; the game was built around this but it still stresses the importance of positioning well.

^^^^
This

This is why shields in 3D Zelda games are just overkill and completely unnecessary as they are now. You do not need it in a game where your character has such absurdly superior movement compared to every enemy in the game. It's more fun and more balanced to do either one or the other (shielding everything or dodging everything), but having access to both is just ridiculous. I was happy to hear the shield in SS wasn't required for anything so I could at least pretend it didn't exist.
---
Gaming is going to die again.
#19enterthemadroxPosted 2/3/2013 5:15:53 PM
The earlier games were definitely harder because you just didn't have a clue where you were supposed to go or what you were meant to do. I seriously spent ages on the first Zelda walking around and not knowing what I was doing and had to find a guide to at least start me off.

These days, you get a little sidekick telling you where to go and what to do at pretty regular intervals via hints and such.
---
Getting awfully tired of GameFAQs mods removing my posts for being "offensive" when I've done nothing wrong