making link a woman would betray the character

#11RygonPosted 6/12/2014 6:36:19 AM
Street_Overlord posted...
This is like arguing that Pokemon should only give you the option of picking a male character.

The female characters are just as popular, if not even more popular than the males. If it isn't your cup of tea, just pick male Link. There is no reason not to include the option, though.

Besides, it doesn't have to be Link as the female character. They could just go with some other kind of lead character that mirrors Link in someway.

I disagree with you, but thankfully I don't have to argue because what I want has happened and what you want won't.
---
http://backloggery.com/war_lion108
#12GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 6:42:12 AM
Street_Overlord posted...
This is like arguing that Pokemon should only give you the option of picking a male character.

The female characters are just as popular, if not even more popular than the males. If it isn't your cup of tea, just pick male Link. There is no reason not to include the option, though.

Besides, it doesn't have to be Link as the female character. They could just go with some other kind of lead character that mirrors Link in someway.

one this is offering a separate female character to play as who isnt link (but her own character)

and another thing is betraying a character's legacy that is over 25 years old.
#13wiiking96Posted 6/12/2014 6:46:04 AM
GigerSupreme posted...

there was always romantic subtext between Link and Zelda, this is something that has to be honored.

It was only a fan interpretation until Skyward Sword, and it sure as heck isn't "something that has to be honored". That's ridiculous.

like it or not, Link does have a character.

It's a different Link in almost every new Zelda installment.

link is hot-blooded
brave
has an instinctive protective nature
determined

All things that could easily be carried over to a female gender.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#14vital_tundraPosted 6/12/2014 6:50:57 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
vital_tundra posted...
Except his characterization wouldn't change between genders.

yes it does.
there was always romantic subtext between Link and Zelda, this is something that has to be honored. like it or not, Link does have a character.

link is hot-blooded
brave
has an instinctive protective nature
determined

You're kidding right?

The only game that shows there is romance is Skyward Sword, I am not arguing that Link has character or not, because he does. But being hot-blooded, brave, protective, and determined are not male only traits.

Again, changing Links gender would not change the characters personality in the slightest.
---
3DS friend code: 1848-2159-5405 (Richie)
#15GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 7:01:08 AM
@wiiking96
@vital_tundra

what is the force? is it bacteria or mysticism?

who shot first? han or greedo?

changing link's gender arbitrarily is a bone head idea, and nintendo is smart for doing what they have been doing.

im glad people like you have zero input in what goes into making a videogame.
#16GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 7:03:30 AM
It was only a fan interpretation until Skyward Sword, and it sure as heck isn't "something that has to be honored". That's ridiculous.

fan interpretation? i wonder how, why and where did they interpret it from... subtext maybe?

no, it is a legend being told about about one guy and how he saved Zelda.

if you wana play as a female link, then buy bayonetta 2 for the link costume for bayonetta.
that is the closest thing you will ever get.
#17CosmoKramer4700Posted 6/12/2014 7:05:06 AM
When Adventure Time gender swapped its characters for Fiona an Cake, they ween't just reskins of the same characters, but distinct characters which mirror their differently genders counterparts. They didn't just make Finn a girl, they made Fiona, a completely unique character who mirrors Finn in many ways.

Ultimately Fiona and Cake are just Ice King's crazy fanfic just like female Link XD

Why not create powerful original or distinct female protagonists? Why take a male character and make them female? Isn't it better to give Zelda the spotlight rather than girl Link?

What does it say if the only way to get a female lead is to reskin a male protagonist without changing any aspect of their chararacter?

This would be an insult to Zelda S much as Link. The eponymous Princess Zelda is bypasses in favor of a female Link? Thi would be like Advrnture Timr leaving all its' female leads completely on the sidelines in favor of Finn, not renamed just placed in Fiona's body. It would be a disservice to Marceline, PB, Flame Princess, etc

So the point I'm trying to make is go watch Adventure Time because it's awesome
---
Gutalala Sudalala
ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS! - The Great Pirate, Edward Newgate "Whitebeard"
#18vital_tundraPosted 6/12/2014 7:05:28 AM
GigerSupreme posted...

fan interpretation? i wonder how, why and where did they interpret it from... subtext maybe?

if you wana play as a female link, then buy bayonetta 2 for the link costume for bayonetta.

About 1 guy? Hyrule Historia begs to differ. Troll topic, or plain ignorance.
---
3DS friend code: 1848-2159-5405 (Richie)
#19GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 7:08:44 AM
vital_tundra posted...
GigerSupreme posted...

About 1 guy? Hyrule Historia begs to differ. Troll topic, or plain ignorance.

its the same guy. same soul, different era.
#20wiiking96Posted 6/12/2014 7:10:18 AM
GigerSupreme posted...

If there were subtext, then it was paper thin and certainly not something that's "worth being honored". Heck, Link has had more overtly romantic relationships with other characters like Malon and Ilia.

100% false. Don't argue about something like this in a Zelda discussion if you are uninformed about the series.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!