making link a woman would betray the character

#181pokemega32Posted 6/12/2014 4:45:15 PM
SuperMario1998 posted...
nor is there a controversy over turning black characters white

What alternate universe do you live in?

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Film:Casting_controversy

Also, people should just stop having this discussion. It's clear TC and the people agreeing with him have some serious issues:

- Link and Zelda have to have romantic subtext. Ergo, TP Link wasn't really Link.
- Link is a single character that can never have different personality traits.
- Even if Link is a set of a bunch of different similar characters. Making one that is female is exactly the same thing as changing the gender of a single defined individual.
- Samus has never had any characterization before Other M.
- Making a character female automatically makes them weak, as proven by Samus in Other M "reacting accordingly" to having a love interest (also father figure = love interest)
- Any Zelda game with a female protagonist would automatically suck because two of the CD-i Zelda games had a female protagonist and they sucked.
---
Currently playing: Kirby Super Star & Batman Arkham Asylum
#182senax5Posted 6/12/2014 4:48:07 PM
I do not like Aonuma and his handling of the situation.

Because Aonuma couldn't resist trolling people, from now till the next piece of information drops, all that will be discussed is whether Link is really a male or female in this game.

What he has done by trolling is create a situation where no matter what gender is chosen (probably male), there will be major backlash as a result.

Nobody should have been labeled as sexist / misogynistic for preferring Link to remain as he always has been for 28 YEARS.

I really wish he would just stop with the roundabout answers and set the record straight about his gender, and by that I mean STATE WHETHER THIS LINK IS A MALE OF FEMALE so we can finally put this to rest and talk about something else.
#183Ampharos64Posted 6/12/2014 4:56:01 PM(edited)
GigerSupreme posted...
making him a female suddenly is blatant pandering and is a betrayal to the heart of his character.

I've been playing the series for 14+ years, I know other female gamers who have played it right since the start. So, it's supposedly pandering to let us have a female Link to play as?

I'm fine with Link staying male, he's established as a male character, although considering the series' use of reincarnation it does make sense that there could be a female Link. I don't think the romance is even an issue, especially considering that's not that consistent across games, wouldn't have said Link/Zelda romance was in TP. If Nintendo didn't want to include it between a female Link and Zelda, they could just leave it out.

But, as I said, I'm, fine with Link staying male. Not fine with gamer's sexist attitudes, though. It's about time they got over this crap, seriously pathetic that in 2014 they freak out so badly if, oh, noes, Nintendo might pander to icky females! Our boy's club might be ruined!

gfrequency posted...
Yet not exclusively male qualities.

Yeah, they're not even particularly male traits, I would've said. Is he seriously saying women have no protective instincts? That they can't be determined? Haha. Pretty sure he's trolling, after that.

senax5 posted...

Because Aonuma couldn't resist trolling people, from now till the next piece of information drops, all that will be discussed is whether Link is really a male or female in this game.

I don't think it was Aonuma's fault at all, he referred to the outfit being different, so he was teasing about that. Not his fault people took it the wrong way and saw something that clearly wasn't there.
---
3DS FC: 2277 6741 7893
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/Ampharos64/ToZAlicia_zpsf4321284.png
#184theantibob483Posted 6/12/2014 4:56:19 PM
Just make the female character Link's twin sister!
#185MasterDarkenPosted 6/12/2014 5:07:44 PM
LINK is the HERO of Time, not the Heroine or the "---" of Time.

Stop asking for us to gender-bend every good hero just for the sake of fem-lovers. We can make a new character for another side-arc in the timeline, but please, for the love of Hylia, stop this madness already.
#186GamerTaiPosted 6/12/2014 5:09:14 PM
MasterDarken posted...
LINK is the HERO of Time, not the Heroine or the "---" of Time.

Ocarina of Time Link was the hero of time. A new Link could just as easily be the heroine of time. You people are silly.
---
Make a GamerTai ATTN Topic today! Number of GamerTai ATTN Topics: 404
http://zeldawtwii.proboards.com/
#187YatolPosted 6/12/2014 5:10:55 PM
having a male Samus on a alternate timeline wouldn't bother me.

having a female link wouldn't bother me.

having a Chicken Link wouldn't bother me

having a metroid Samus wouldn't bother me
---
NEDM
#188GamerTaiPosted 6/12/2014 5:12:16 PM
Yatol posted...
having a Chicken Link wouldn't bother me

It would bother me if it meant that I couldn't pick on other chickens anymore.
---
Make a GamerTai ATTN Topic today! Number of GamerTai ATTN Topics: 404
http://zeldawtwii.proboards.com/
#189MumboJPosted 6/12/2014 5:15:27 PM
Our_grave posted...
MumboJ posted...
How would a genderswap invalidate those few qualities?

They are typical male qualities.

Ok now that actually is sexist.
---
Et earello, endorenna utulien. Sinome maruvan, ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!
#190Our_gravePosted 6/12/2014 5:16:21 PM
senax5 posted...

I think he's wrong in describing Link as basically a non-character. That's not exactly true, as evident from how Link changes somewhat from one game to another. And I don't think people in general regard him as a non-character.