making link a woman would betray the character

#21GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 7:10:20 AM
CosmoKramer4700 posted...
When Adventure Time gender swapped its characters for Fiona an Cake, they ween't just reskins of the same characters, but distinct characters which mirror their differently genders counterparts. They didn't just make Finn a girl, they made Fiona, a completely unique character who mirrors Finn in many ways.

Ultimately Fiona and Cake are just Ice King's crazy fanfic just like female Link XD

Why not create powerful original or distinct female protagonists? Why take a male character and make them female? Isn't it better to give Zelda the spotlight rather than girl Link?

What does it say if the only way to get a female lead is to reskin a male protagonist without changing any aspect of their chararacter?

This would be an insult to Zelda S much as Link. The eponymous Princess Zelda is bypasses in favor of a female Link? Thi would be like Advrnture Timr leaving all its' female leads completely on the sidelines in favor of Finn, not renamed just placed in Fiona's body. It would be a disservice to Marceline, PB, Flame Princess, etc

So the point I'm trying to make is go watch Adventure Time because it's awesome

this is a more logical option than to just arbitrarily change link to a woman to pander.
but i wont watch adventure time because i dont like the generic bland art style or the sense of humor. regular show>adventure time.
#22GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 7:14:39 AM
If there were subtext, then it was paper thin and certainly not something that's "worth being honored". Heck, Link has had more overtly romantic relationships with other characters like Malon and Ilia.

dat backpedalling.

Don't argue about something like this in a Zelda discussion if you are uninformed about the series.

ive played and beaten every single game since the 80's when the first game came out on the nes. you take what i say too literally. link is always the same in every game... but as the technology advanced, so did his ability to express himself without saying much at all.

ultimately it is the same guy with hints of reincarnation and destiny fulfillment.
#23wiiking96Posted 6/12/2014 7:21:49 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
If there were subtext, then it was paper thin and certainly not something that's "worth being honored". Heck, Link has had more overtly romantic relationships with other characters like Malon and Ilia.

dat backpedalling.

I am doing nothing of the sort. I'm punching holes in your paper thin argument.

Don't argue about something like this in a Zelda discussion if you are uninformed about the series.

ive played and beaten every single game since the 80's when the first game came out on the nes. you take what i say too literally. link is always the same in every game... but as the technology advanced, so did his ability to express himself without saying much at all.

ultimately it is the same guy with hints of reincarnation and destiny fulfillment.

Most/all of the different Links are part of the same bloodline, and a certain aspect of their destiny is reincarnated. They aren't the same character, and they are hundreds (if not thousands) of years apart.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#24GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 7:29:02 AM
I am doing nothing of the sort. I'm punching holes in your paper thin argument.

despite the fact you conceded the fact that people have interpreted a romantic subtext?
please...

Most/all of the different Links are part of the same bloodline, and a certain aspect of their destiny is reincarnated. They aren't the same character, and they are hundreds (if not thousands) of years apart.

this dosent prove that they arent the same guy in spirit. its the same with super metroid, other m and metroid prime. same samus, different interpretations of the story.
#25wiiking96Posted 6/12/2014 7:38:12 AM
You can't be this ignorant of both Zelda and Metroid. The narrative of the two series isn't even remotely comparable.

All that matters in the end is this: Nothing about Link's character would be betrayed if he were to be turned into a girl.
---
#26TpaulHPosted 6/12/2014 7:38:29 AM
CosmoKramer4700 posted...

Why not create powerful original or distinct female protagonists? Why take a male character and make them female? Isn't it better to give Zelda the spotlight rather than girl Link?

What does it say if the only way to get a female lead is to reskin a male protagonist without changing any aspect of their chararacter?

This would be an insult to Zelda S much as Link. The eponymous Princess Zelda is bypasses in favor of a female Link?

This. So much this. You want a female character? Why reskin Link? Why keep the same personality (and almost the same appearance) just for the sake of being a girl? That's more an insult to female characters than anything else.

Hyrule Warriors has playable Zelda. There ya go. Much better.

Lots of games have playable female characters. To just reskin a male character for the sake of pandering? That's pathetic, and marginalizes the actual female characters in the Zelda universe.

You guys are pathetic.
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1564-3493-9447 NNID = TpaulH
Currently playing: Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8
#27GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 7:45:10 AM
wiiking96 posted...
You can't be this ignorant of both Zelda and Metroid. The narrative of the two series isn't even remotely comparable.

All that matters in the end is this: Nothing about Link's character would be betrayed if he were to be turned into a girl.

where does the force come from? is it midichlorians or mysticism?

who shot first, han or greedo?
#28GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 7:45:59 AM
TpaulH posted...
You guys are pathetic.

beautifully said.
#29wiiking96Posted 6/12/2014 7:46:20 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
wiiking96 posted...

Not even remotely comparable.
---
#30GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 7:50:30 AM
wiiking96 posted...
GigerSupreme posted...
wiiking96 posted...

Not even remotely comparable.

and yet, you have no argument.
get out of my thread.