making link a woman would betray the character

#201mistermikeymikePosted 6/12/2014 4:54:05 PM
Ampharos64 posted...
GigerSupreme posted...
making him a female suddenly is blatant pandering and is a betrayal to the heart of his character.

I've been playing the series for 14+ years, I know other female gamers who have played it right since the start. So, it's supposedly pandering to let us have a female Link to play as?

I'm fine with Link staying male, he's established as a male character, although considering the series' use of reincarnation it does make sense that there could be a female Link. I don't think the romance is even an issue, especially considering that's not that consistent across games, wouldn't have said Link/Zelda romance was in TP. If Nintendo didn't want to include it between a female Link and Zelda, they could just leave it out.

But, as I said, I'm, fine with Link staying male. Not fine with gamer's sexist attitudes, though. It's about time they got over this crap, seriously pathetic that in 2014 they freak out so badly if, oh, noes, Nintendo might pander to icky females! Our boy's club might be ruined!

gfrequency posted...
Yet not exclusively male qualities.

Yeah, they're not even particularly male traits, I would've said. Is he seriously saying women have no protective instincts? That they can't be determined? Haha. Pretty sure he's trolling, after that.

senax5 posted...
I do not like Aonuma and his handling of the situation.

Because Aonuma couldn't resist trolling people, from now till the next piece of information drops, all that will be discussed is whether Link is really a male or female in this game.

I don't think it was Aonuma's fault at all, he referred to the outfit being different, so he was teasing about that. Not his fault people took it the wrong way and saw something that clearly wasn't there.

it's sexist because there isn't a male and female version?

newsflash, you're the one who's sexist here.

what happened to different but equal?

you know.... as in men and women are different.

you don't target makeup to men the same way you dont target tuxedos to women. different people. different interests. different characters. different designs. different goals.

it's sexist to pretend that men and women are exactly the same in every regard.

social justice warriors like yourself need to take a firm step back and examine themselves. social justice warriors need to stop spouting out s*** the media shoves down their throats and think for themselves instead of masquerading under the banner of what is "right"
#202AbugumgumPosted 6/12/2014 4:54:18 PM
zonobia posted...
pokemega32 posted...
Link isn't a single character. Why is that so difficult to grasp?

I can't believe how many times this argument is going to come up... The whole concept of multiple Links is all fine for the die-hards of official canon, but it's something that the vast majority of casual fans (which make up the majority of paying customers), don't pay attention to, and consider Link a singular character the same way Mario or Samus is. Creating a drastic change, such as changing Link from male to female, is not the sort of thing that would be a welcome change to the vast majority of paying customers. Link being male is an established convention.....PERIOD.

Looks like they might be ah.. rethinking conventions huh?
Also, if you are bitter about the idea of being forced to play as female Link, how would you feel about the option to chose genders? I'm guessing you won't like it, because your problem with the idea is that you don't like the idea of a girl being Link PERIOD.

which is kind of sexist imo
#203SuperMario1998Posted 6/12/2014 4:55:18 PM
Ampharos64 posted...

Yes, because me being sick of being treated badly just because I happen to be female, and even more sick of seeing other women treated badly, me wanting to be included and being sick of exclusionary attitudes from people who are part of the same geek community as I am, is 'whining'.
Changing a character like Mario would be different, because there's nothing in the series that suggests that makes sense, whereas Zelda already has the idea of reincarnation established. And changing a female character to male or a black character to white isn't the same, because that would be taking away representation, not giving more.
It's not that they're simply saying that Link is an established character so they'd find the change hard to adjust to. I'd be fine with that and feel somewhat similarly, I'm quite happy with Link staying male. It's their attitudes.
Changing a character like Mario would be different, because there's nothing in the series that suggests that makes sense, whereas Zelda already has the idea of reincarnation established. And changing a female character to male or a black character to white isn't the same, because that would be taking away representation, not giving more.

Since when have women been treated badly in the gaming community??? Lately, it has become not even a second thought to most gamers that a good percentage of gamers are female!! I know almost as many female gamers as I do male. I'm sorry, but women are not excluded at all from the gaming community by any stretch. Also, Link is a character. If he was multiple characters, he wouldn't have the same name. Why is this so hard to understand? If Link was multiple people, there would be some indication of descendant. Beside that, it's not only over dissecting the games, but the Zelda series has no need to shake things up to make a few people a bit more comfortable that things are fair. I understand that you aren't saying that, but some people are, and I think you are misreading some people. Although the person that is saying X and Y are traits of men is being sexist, I agree there.

pokemega32 posted...
SuperMario1998 posted...
So in response to the person who said men on here are getting upset that Nintendo would ruin their boy's club, there's your answer. it has nothing to do with the wanting of a men's world (in most cases) but a need for people to get over this incessant equality whining.

What topic are you even reading?
No one here has "whined" about equality.
TC did not create this topic to say Link doesn't need to be female.
TC created this topic to say Link can't be female, because females aren't capable of being strong, hotblooded and courageous.
He literally said that.
Link, Mario, Samus, etc. are all defined characters that should not have their personalities and characters tarnished by being forced into another gender/race.

Introducing a female Link isn't "changing Link into a female." It's making a new Link that's female.
Just like they created a right-handed Link. They didn't "force" Link into being right-handed.

Ok, really? Cause changing Link's predominant hand (which was a programming thing anyways) is the same as his race/gender. And about whining about equality, it's a part of this conversation, and just because you aren't doesn't mean others aren't. It's why, as I've been saying, people whine for a female version of a male character and no one whines for a male version of a female character. And don't say Zelda, because that is only brought up as a byproduct of Link being female.
---
If you have 4 pencils and 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don't wear hats.
#204aLINKtothePANTSPosted 6/12/2014 4:56:06 PM
zonobia posted...
pokemega32 posted...

I can't believe how many times this argument is going to come up... The whole concept of multiple Links is all fine for the die-hards of official canon, but it's something that the vast majority of casual fans (which make up the majority of paying customers), don't pay attention to, and consider Link a singular character the same way Mario or Samus is. Creating a drastic change, such as changing Link from male to female, is not the sort of thing that would be a welcome change to the vast majority of paying customers. Link being male is an established convention.....PERIOD.

This has been repeatedly stated to be the Zelda game that challenges many of the traditional conventions of the series.
#205AbugumgumPosted 6/12/2014 4:56:06 PM
mistermikeymike posted...

what happened to different but equal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separate_but_equal

I believe that went out with the other Jim Crow laws...
#206AbugumgumPosted 6/12/2014 4:58:39 PM
Oh my god I love this thread! It is like a black light for all of the closeted racism and sexism.
#207zonobiaPosted 6/12/2014 5:02:25 PM(edited)
Abugumgum posted...
zonobia posted...
pokemega32 posted...

Also, if you are bitter about the idea of being forced to play as female Link, how would you feel about the option to chose genders? I'm guessing you won't like it, because your problem with the idea is that you don't like the idea of a girl being Link PERIOD.

It is not sexist....it's having a problem with changing a tradition that's been established for the entire duration of the franchise.

I'm also not bitter about the idea of being forced to play as female Link either....because the Link in the trailer is male. The people trying to argue otherwise seem to be grasping at straws.
#208AbugumgumPosted 6/12/2014 5:03:51 PM
zonobia posted...
Abugumgum posted...
zonobia posted...
pokemega32 posted...

It is not sexist....it's having a problem with changing a tradition that's been established for the entire duration of the franchise.

You could use the same argument for not wanting women to be able to vote. But it's tradition.
Look, I'm of course not accusing you of "Women shouldn't vote" sexism, but it is in a way sexist. And I used to be in your camp on this issue. There is nothing in the canon which states Link must be a boy. Just because each incarnation of Link has been a certain way doesn't mean you can't have a version which changes that slightly, so long as they still take on the characteristics which define Link. And honestly masculinity has never been one of those characteristics.
#209gfrequencyPosted 6/12/2014 5:04:57 PM
SuperMario1998 posted...
Since when have women been treated badly in the gaming community???

...seriously?
---
You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
#210TracinyaPosted 6/12/2014 5:07:03 PM
gfrequency posted...
SuperMario1998 posted...
Since when have women been treated badly in the gaming community???

...seriously?

I lol'd. Like abumgumgum said:

Oh my god I love this thread! It is like a black light for all of the closeted racism and sexism.