making link a woman would betray the character

#41wiiking96Posted 6/12/2014 8:13:10 AM
HeyItsZant posted...
It wouldn't be a betrayal..It just would make absolutely no sense...why change something that has remained the same for almost 30 years and that would have NO effect on gameplay?

To try something different and to generate interest in the game?
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#42KogaSteelfangPosted 6/12/2014 8:13:40 AM
It is not one character called Link though.
Each incarnation of Link is it's own unique person, they simply embody the qualities the Hero had.
Are you saying a female can't have heroic qualities?

Also, here's a comparison just like the Metroid/Link one you made.

I introduce you to Samantha, a woman with no desire to ever swap genders.
Next, I introduce you to Jesse, a man with no desire to swap genders.
After that, I find 25 other people named Jesse with similar personalities to the first.
How many of those Jesse's are male? How many are female?
You can't tell, because gender is nearly inconsequential to the base of who a person is.

In the end Samantha is 1 person. The Jesse's are not, and can't be classified by a unified gender.
---
3ds FC: 0817-3909-5696. PSN Grindpantera.
If you add me, please send a PM with your code.
#43HeyItsZantPosted 6/12/2014 8:15:46 AM
vital_tundra posted...
HeyItsZant posted...
It wouldn't be a betrayal..It just would make absolutely no sense...why change something that has remained the same for almost 30 years?

Why not? Come on now just because something has been the same for so long doesn't mean there shouldn't be change. Even if not female Link, are you apposed to the idea of Zelda as the MC?

Absolutely not. Now ask me if I'm opposed to the idea of Zelda as the MC, as a male. Yes I am.

I'm not afraid of change, but this type of superfluous modification would feel extremely forced upon. I am ok with a customization aspect however. If we are given the choice of male or female link, I am fine with that. Hell, I may even lean towards playing as female, but for god's sake, just keep Link as we all know and love him.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkmn347wsY
Honored to have played Xenoblade Chronicles.
#44quittaboi78Posted 6/12/2014 8:16:00 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
there was always romantic subtext between Link and Zelda, this is something that has to be honored.

1) Really? Always?
2) So woman can't be "hot-blooded, brave, has an instinctive protective nature, determined"?
3) Tomodachi Life. *abandons ship*
---
Whoever started using the word "canon" in this context, anyway?
I hear it all the time now, and I'd like to slap him. - Green Gibbon!
#45HeyItsZantPosted 6/12/2014 8:17:18 AM
wiiking96 posted...
HeyItsZant posted...
It wouldn't be a betrayal..It just would make absolutely no sense...why change something that has remained the same for almost 30 years and that would have NO effect on gameplay?

To try something different and to generate interest in the game?

If you wanna talk interest, if anything, making Link a girl would have a negative impact on sales...you think those little children (Zelda's target audience) want to play as a girl? Or a boy?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkmn347wsY
Honored to have played Xenoblade Chronicles.
#46GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 8:24:37 AM
quittaboi78 posted...
GigerSupreme posted...
there was always romantic subtext between Link and Zelda, this is something that has to be honored.

1) Really? Always?
2) So woman can't be "hot-blooded, brave, has an instinctive protective nature, determined"?
3) Tomodachi Life. *abandons ship*

in the context and story of zelda, Link is the one who fills that role.
#47MushoomPosted 6/12/2014 8:46:57 AM
I agree that Link should never be made a female. Also, I am girl, and I have never once felt misrepresented playing as Link. He does have a personality, and I personally enjoy the subtle hints of romance between Link and Zelda (or Ilia, Malon, etc.)

At the end of Skyward Sword, Demise cursed Link and Zelda saying that anytime the spirit of the hero and the blood of the goddess return, there will be evil there to fight against them. In my opinion, I feel like that was a way to prevent Link and Zelda from ever living peacefully together when they are reunited time and time again. Does that require Link to be male? No, but I sort of feel like Link's motives for saving Zelda would be weakened.

As alternatives, I would certainly not mind the main character being a different female protagonist. One theory that I read a couple of times is that the protagonist could be Skyward Sword Link and Zelda's daughter. I thought that might be an interesting way to bring the spirit of the hero and the blood of the goddess together again. I also wouldn't mind if the new character is Zelda, but I am a little bit bored with her to be honest.

As for customization, I feel like the game would become too much like Mass Effect. I love to speculate on the stories, and if every player has a different story, then nothing about the game can be treated as canon. I'd rather play through the story exactly as the writers intended.
#48GoombacrusherPosted 6/12/2014 8:49:12 AM
There's literally a different Link in each game, it's not betraying any sort of character or development
---
http://i.imgur.com/pLE4OWy.png http://i.imgur.com/eBWcN1b.gif
http://i.imgur.com/FeUoGvy.gif
#49caramel_codPosted 6/12/2014 8:49:41 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
link is hot-blooded
brave
has an instinctive protective nature
determined

This is what it really comes down to, unfortunately. In Japan, these are the qualities of a "shonen" hero, and are exclusive to young boys. Young boys are flawed, but lovable. Young girls must always be perfect.

Women have two roles in stories, like TLoZ, which are aimed at young men: eye candy and romance interests. They are meant to be objects, not people that you can identify with. You're supposed to desire them, to covet them, and to hate those who take them from you. Welcome to the last 1000 years of sexism in fiction.

That said, conversations like the one about Link's gender are excellent ways of moving towards change.
#50vital_tundraPosted 6/12/2014 8:51:52 AM
caramel_cod posted...
GigerSupreme posted...
link is hot-blooded
brave
has an instinctive protective nature
determined

This is what it really comes down to, unfortunately. In Japan, these are the qualities of a "shonen" hero, and are exclusive to young boys. Young boys are flawed, but lovable. Young girls must always be perfect.

Women have two roles in stories, like TLoZ, which are aimed at young men: eye candy and romance interests. They are meant to be objects, not people that you can identify with. You're supposed to desire them, to covet them, and to hate those who take them from you. Welcome to the last 1000 years of sexism in fiction.

That said, conversations like the one about Link's gender are excellent ways of moving towards change.

Exactly! I agree, and many will sit here and say we shouldn't be talking about it because it won't happen and **** like that.
---
3DS friend code: 1848-2159-5405 (Richie)